Any idea?.... 'whistling-nose' at high speeds !!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Any idea?.... 'whistling-nose' at high speeds !! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; '10 ''premium' level approx 13k miles so far: anytime riding on a highway ( i.e. I-95) and reaching the 'magic' ...
    SHOWGIRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Awesome 2010 DTS Premium(former CTS '10 owner)

Any idea?.... 'whistling-nose' at high speeds !!

'10 ''premium' level approx 13k miles so far:

anytime riding on a highway ( i.e. I-95) and reaching the 'magic' speed of 80 MPH we hear a whistling noise -DH 'thinks' it's coming from driver's side/area, but of course you can't be sure about that. Once speed lowers beyound 80, (even 79!!!) the noise stops.
    If there is a 'speed' warning system in the car (DH said there 'is' that feature) ...he has it turned-off...plus nothing shows in the DIC anyway..
    So outside of not hitting 80MPH any ideas would be very much apprecited ..best wishes to all - ''showgirl''

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Any idea?.... 'whistling-nose' at high speeds !!

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWGIRL View Post

anytime riding on a highway ( i.e. I-95) and reaching the 'magic' speed of 80 MPH we hear a whistling noise -DH 'thinks' it's coming from driver's side/area, but of course you can't be sure about that. Once speed lowers beyound 80, (even 79!!!) the noise stops.
    If there is a 'speed' warning system in the car (DH said there 'is' that feature) ...he has it turned-off...plus nothing shows in the DIC anyway..
    So outside of not hitting 80MPH any ideas would be very much apprecited ..best wishes to all - ''showgirl''
    There is no BUILT IN WARNING for when you get to 80mph... at least not that I know of...
    If there was I would have sold the car by now, as I usually don't run slower than that on the highway..

Mine had kinda the same kind of noise when it was new...
    But I described it as like a train horn... way off in the distance... and it wasn't very loud, but it was annoying as heck.
    On mine, It was the rubber piece at the front, bottom of the hood, where it comes down against the top of the radiator.

Texas Jim

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

SHOWGIRL, have you tried speaking with a dealership to see if they might also be able to shed some light on the situation as well? They may have ran into this problem before and be able to tell you what it is and be able to fix it for you. I hope either approach given so far helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

_ike_ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury III

My Jaguar did this. It was rubber drain hoses in the wheel wells. I cut them at an angle and it stopped. Air would blow across the end of one, like blowing on a coke bottle, and make a whistle.

I don't know if it is the same thing happening on your car but you may want to check for something air could blow across.

ffrog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWGIRL View Post

Like Jim says, there was no option to set a speed warning. Many cars used to have this as a standard feature and would be set by the driver through the DIC. You could set it at almost any speed.

Does the noise go away at 81+ MPH?

There was a thread on this site way long ago about this subject and it had something to do with some trim on the front of the car. You may want to do a search for this here on this site.

SHOWGIRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Awesome 2010 DTS Premium(former CTS '10 owner)

Hello - thanks to you all for all your help/suggestions
    ... yes it continues 'above' 81 ...DH feels it's probably something similar to what has been described by several of you... ..air crossing an area, etc. he's not concerned ...so eventually he'll do something about it i guess - but he's not annoyed enough to run it into the dealership (rightn now anyway)...
    best wishes - ''showgirl''

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Ford Taurus did the same thing. Culprit was the metal wiper arm.

If dealer does not have any answers, simply have two people lie on the front of the hood. One person faces front; second person faces windshield. One of them can begin playing with wipers, hood trim, wheel well hoses, etc. Get car up to 80 or 90. Maybe a tad higher--like 120 or so. NOT.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.