Should I Put An Aftermarket Cat Conv. On My '06 Performance?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Should I Put An Aftermarket Cat Conv. On My '06 Performance? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Dealer says I need a new catalytic converter. It's throwing P0420 codes, but other than that no symptoms at all. ...
    bluescat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Should I Put An Aftermarket Cat Conv. On My '06 Performance?

Dealer says I need a new catalytic converter. It's throwing P0420 codes, but other than that no symptoms at all.

Walker makes a direct replacement with a 5 year warranty for less than half of the price of an OEM, plus, my neighbor can install it for next to nothing.

Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket converter on these cars?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Re: Should I Put An Aftermarket Cat Conv. On My '06 Performance?

Quote Originally Posted by bluescat View Post
    Dealer says I need a new catalytic converter. It's throwing P0420 codes, but other than that no symptoms at all.

Walker makes a direct replacement with a 5 year warranty for less than half of the price of an OEM, plus, my neighbor can install it for next to nothing.

Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket converter on these cars?

Thanks!
    I have no experience with aftermarket converters on Cadillac's, but I did use Walker converters on other cars.
    Never had a problem with them.
    Walker has been around forever, and in my opinion makes pretty good stuff.

Texas Jim

Kenwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Premium Platinum

Just wanted to add, that I thought the cat was part of the emissions system and I believe emissions equipment is covered for 8 years.

It is 8 years, or 80,000 miles, which I have exceeded.

Found out that there was a PCM service bulletin, 06-06-04-023 that covers a false P0420 code. It'll cost me $122 for the dealer to do an upgrade. They won't know if the upgrade has been done until they try to do the upgrade and see if it takes. They checked the service history, and no upgrade was ever performed under warranty.

Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES

Does this code show as a check engine light or some other indicator? Could you provide a link to the bulletin so we may see to which model years it applies?

I don't have a link to it, but any dealer should be able to print it out for you. It deals with a false P0420, which sets the SES light. The bulletin says to NOT change the cat unless the upgrade is done and the code is thrown again.

A few days ago the light went out again. Hasn't come back yet, and I haven't followed up on the PCM upgrade. If the light comes back I'll deal with it then.

Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES

OK thaks. So we'll just keep in mind that a catyltic converter malfunction might be false on this model.

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by GM BULLETIN
    #06-06-04-023: LD8, L37 Service Engine Soon (SES) Light Illuminated or Traction Disabled Message Displayed After Extended Idle, Multiple PCM DTCs P0171, P0174, P0420, P1516, P1682, P2101, P2176 (Reprogram PCM) - (Apr 12, 2006)

Subject: LD8, L37 Service Engine Soon (SES) Light Illuminated or Traction Disabled Message Displayed After Extended Idle, Multiple Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) -- P0171, P0174, P0420, P1516, P1682, P2101, P2176 (Reprogram PCM)

Models: 2006 Buick Lucerne -- Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 6U211174

2006 Cadillac DTS -- Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 6U211176

with 4.6L Northstar« V8 Engine (VINs Y, 9 -- RPOs LD8, L37)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
    Some customers with vehicles built prior to the above VIN breakpoints may comment on any of the following conditions:

• An SES light illuminated or a "Traction Disabled" message displayed after a extended idle of 30 minutes or more. After further investigation, technicians may find DTC P0171 and/or P0174.

• An SES light illuminated . After further investigation, technicians may find DTC P0420.

• An SES light illuminated . After further investigation, technicians may find DTC P1682 along with P1516, P2101 or P2176.

Correction
    Reprogram the PCM with the latest TIS calibrations if the above concern is encountered. An updated PCM calibration is now available to address this concern. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address this concern. Refer to Service Programming Systems (SPS) using the appropriate Service Information (SI) procedures. This latest calibration also contains diagnostic enhancements for the "Traction Disabled" message displayed after an extended idle.

• If P0171 or P0174 is present, check for vacuum leaks. If vacuum leaks are present, P0171 or P0174 will continue to set.

• If P0420 is present, refer to DTC P0420 diagnostic "Repair Verification" in SI after reprogramming to determine if the catalyst is "Good" or "Bad". Do not replace the catalytic converter unless DTC P0420 does not pass with the new calibration.

The new PCM calibration is available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update data version 4.0 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers on April 3, 2006; and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0/2006 or later, mailed to dealers beginning April 12, 2006. As always, make sure your Tech 2« is updated with the latest software version.
    I had my Catalytic converter replaced under warranty on my Lux II around 48k miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.