Made a switch...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Made a switch... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; VIN Y to VIN 9. Got a decent amount on trade especially considering the miles I had. My thoughts are: ...
    ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Lightbulb Made a switch...

VIN Y to VIN 9. Got a decent amount on trade especially considering the miles I had. My thoughts are:

Unreal

200% difference in how they drive. There's still a little float but man the Magnetic Ride Control does a fine job keeping the car doing exactly what your asking it to do.

Not liking the NAV or the wood steering wheel. The NAV does not appear to have a clock display. The NAV manual mentions nothing and I'm pretty sure that there's no options setting for it. Whats up with not having a digital clock. Another thing is there's only one CD/DVD slot but it won't play DVD with MP3s burned as a data disc, lame.

I may need to buy a 6 disc radio and stuff it in there, can't be entertained by just one CD....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

_ike_ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury III

Re: Made a switch...

Is the ride firmer?

My DTS without Magnetic Ride Control is a bit harsh on the bad roads I drive on and I've been wondering if I should have found one with the MRC

Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES

I have to strain my senses to feel bumps the size of picnic coolers with the MRC. Congrats on the upgrade! About the clock - get the upgrade for the navigation. I got the 2010 edition DVD and it updates it with a digital clock in the corner when the system is on, and the blue screen shows just a clock with the radio off. I try not to use it though, because I like being the only person my age who can read a clock with hands. (And roman numerals but that's a different story.) And the clock in our cars is amazing to look at anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev Blekher View Post
    I have to strain my senses to feel bumps the size of picnic coolers with the MRC. Congrats on the upgrade! About the clock - get the upgrade for the navigation. I got the 2010 edition DVD and it updates it with a digital clock in the corner when the system is on, and the blue screen shows just a clock with the radio off. I try not to use it though, because I like being the only person my age who can read a clock with hands. (And roman numerals but that's a different story.) And the clock in our cars is amazing to look at anyway.
    So if I update it will give me a clock. That's pretty lame. I hope I can figure out how to get DVD with MP3s to play.

Quote Originally Posted by _ike_ View Post
    Is the ride firmer?

My DTS without Magnetic Ride Control is a bit harsh on the bad roads I drive on and I've been wondering if I should have found one with the MRC
    My Lux II was always riding to floaty. It really pissed me off. I put in Monroes and it was a lot better but the back end was to low. The Air shock fits but its wasn't getting enough air. I was going to play around with the height sensor like one guy did in the 2000-2005 Deville forum did, he has a thread about it.

You still feel bumps to a certain degree and the coil springs are the same except the rear coils are a bit larger to accommodate the MRC shocks. The suspension stiffens when you start turning into a corner and mash down the gas pedal. It really works and is smoother then the passive suspension.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

with being able to put 250 mp3's on a cd...I don't have a problem with that.
    If you have 3 more in the console... you have 1000 songs...
    ANY of the update disks newer than the original...even the 2007 update... gives you the clock in the NAV.

Texas Jim

Well I'll look for a 2007+ disc then. A super sophisticated car navigation system and no having a digital clock seems like no was looking at the small details only the big picture...

ffrog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ltdltc View Post

I hope I can figure out how to get DVD with MP3s to play.
    Burn music from your PC to a CD using Jukebox format. DVDs will not play in the CD drive.

One Jukebox CD was more than enough for a recent 2500 mile round trip. And with the DTS radio it easy to navigate the song lists while driving. I never finished listening to the entire CD.

I don't see what the big deal is. There is a clock right above the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev Blekher View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. There is a clock right above the screen.
    The analog clock is next to impossible to read at night and on a sunny day, say around between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM the sun hits it and can be very distracting.

There was an earlier thread here and some drivers have had the clock panted flat black, masking taped, and even taped a flip card over it for sunny days.

I never had a problem with it. I can't imagine ruining it's look with all that stuff.

Fixed a few issues:

Bad Cupholders going to have to do something about that....

Much better, isn't a perfect color match but the Tan is pretty close.

Didn't like the 18" rims so I had them switch the rims. I had bought some DTS 17" Blades a while ago and recently put them on my Lux II. Tire size isn't exact (235/55/17) but I'll remedy that soon enough when these wear down a bit. Will have to go to a 225/60/17 tire to match the 245/50/18.

As to the NAV, I called GMNAVDISC center to see if the VIN was I was eligible for a free update. They told me to bring it in to a dealer. Took it to the dealer and they say that there isn't one available yet according to GM bulletins. Obviously something is amiss as some here have stated a newer update disc will put the clock option into the NAV.

Whats the oldest year NAV disc that I could buy and pop in and get the damn clock working?

As to the NAV, I called GMNAVDISC center to see if the VIN was I was eligible for a free update. They told me to bring it in to a dealer. Took it to the dealer and they say that there isn't one available yet according to GM bulletins. Obviously something is amiss as some here have stated a newer update disc will put the clock option into the NAV.
    I know what you mean. About 2 months ago I checked their web site and they listed several PNs for my 2006. I hesitated (my bad) and 2 weeks ago they listed only one PN for the 2006. PNs that other forum members mentioned that they used are no longer valid.

Yesterday I called the NAV center and they said that no discs are available for 2006-2009. I was going to order the 2010 version but they told me they would not guarantee that it would work in the 2006 and recommended against it.

I will try to order one of the PNs that other members had success with from another source.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

The OLDEST DISK you can use is the 2008 update disk... it has newer software on it that automatically updates your head unit and enables the clock.

Actually all you have to do to make the clock work is put in a newer disk and let it UPDATE THE FIRMWARE in the head unit.
    That can take 3 or 4 minutes...

Then you can give the disk back to whoever it belongs to... put your OLD disk back in and the clock still works.
    The clock is a function of the FIRMWARE not of the disk itself.

Texas Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ffrog View Post
    I know what you mean. About 2 months ago I checked their web site and they listed several PNs for my 2006. I hesitated (my bad) and 2 weeks ago they listed only one PN for the 2006. PNs that other forum members mentioned that they used are no longer valid.

I will try to order one of the PNs that other members had success with from another source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    The OLDEST DISK you can use is the 2008 update disk... it has newer software on it that automatically updates your head unit and enables the clock.

Texas Jim
    15804409 is the number of the disc I have.

25974486U is version 4.0c not sure on the year but I see its says 2008©

20861673 is version 5.0c not sure on the date but this is commonly listed as 2010 Update.

Which one are you running Superjim?

25974486U is version 4.0c not sure on the year but I see its says 2008©
    This is one of the ones that I tried to order, but is no longer listed on the site and GM said they will not warrant it and recommended against. I had wanted 2010 but I would settle for 2008.

I think this is the one TEXASJIM uses and has no problems with.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.