Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk?

21K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  ogbuehi 
#1 ·
Hello, I would really like to get some feedback and intell on the matter of purchasing ($199+s&h,tax) the GM Direct 2011 Nav disk for my 2006 DTS. I have a Garmin and have been using it however, its seems to make no sense not to use the factory installed GPS system. The question really is, is the $200 well spent on the 2011 Nav disk, installed in a 2006 GPS system? I'm wondering if the dated system is going to work with the newest software? TIA diggerdog

#6 ·
I have both Garmin and GM navigation units (several of each). While the Gramin maps, in some cases, are more up-to-date than the GM maps, the GM maps (and units) are not a joke, big or otherwise. The built-in GM units, when compared with the completely portable Garmin units, are essentially theft-proof. Some write-ups, that come with the GPS units, even suggest removing the residue left from suction cups to avoid causing GPS units that might or might not be in the car acting as an incentive for vehicle break-ins.

I, personally, use the in-car units when in the car and the Garmin units at other times. As one poster indicated, the newer navigation discs will work in older navigation units. As far as accuracy is concerned, I don't believe that one system is any more less accurate than the other. In any case, don't expect the maps in either to show new roads that were opened a short time ago. The maps don't get updated that fast.

#7 ·
As far as accuracy is concerned,,,,3 miles from me is Walmart on 23 rd st that has been there for about 8 yrs. Yes Garmin knows it's there but my GM Nav thinks I am in the middle of some field. Recently in Buffalo NY in 4 yr subdivision and GM Nav maps don't know it's there. I could use more examples, but I think I made my point.

#8 ·
That is not the kind of accuracy to which I was referring. I was referring to the accuracy of your current location. You are referring to the accuracy of the maps. I have found, in some cases, that Garmin maps can be as unreliable as the GM maps. Since they are both derived from Navtec technology, I would expect them to be approximaterly the same for the same year of update. I have never had the kind of problem you are describing with either my Garmin or my GM units.

#9 ·
I have had GM nav units in my cars and trucks for over 5 years...
I have not had many issues with accuracy at all.
Sometimes a street address may be off by a couple of houses...
But... I am "USUALLY" capable of finding 2110 Elm Street if the nav took me to 2114 Elm Street.
Maybe some people are not...I don't know...

I drive over 50,000 miles a year...part for work plus Darling Wife and I do a lot of long road trips.
I will NOT buy another vehicle WITHOUT factory nav.
It is just too handy a tool NOT to have.

And I don't care how much better your 20 dollar handheld system is...I really couldn't care less.
I don't want a piece of stuff like that stuck up on the windshield of my Cadillac.

Sorry if I offended anyone...but oh well...
I can have my opinion as well as you can have yours.

Texas Jim

#11 ·
I don’t think it is a question of whether one map is more accurate or not. I have both a GM map and a Garmin map and they are both about the same as far as accuracy is concerned. Each has its quirks.

The real difference is in the system itself. The GM NAV System is what, somewhere over a thousand or two. The Garmin (mine) was around 150.00 and it is much more sophisticated and feature loaded. For example just to name two features:

1 – It shows the speed limit for the road that you are on.
2 – It has an ECON feature that selects the most fuel efficient route.

I don’t use the ECON feature but it is there.

Now we all know that Caddy could have incorporated those features if they wanted to.

Now, that all being said, I as TEXAS JIM has posted, all my future vehicles will have a built in NAV system.

TEDCMILLER mentioned in one of his posts that the portable is susceptible to theft more so than the built in system. That is very true. In that regards, there was a recent theft of a portable NAV system from the car of a family who went to a little league ball game and the perpetrators pressed the HOME button and went to their house and broke in.

So, no matter what system you use, set you HOME function to take you near your house; a major intersection, hospital, strip mall, police station, or whatever instead of your actual home.

#12 ·
Hi All. I have an 2006 DTS I bought in February this year. I made teh dealer send me a nav disk (2006) since that is usually the first thing to turn up missing by unscrupulous workers. As far the disk is concerned, there are many new roads in Michigan that are not in the database. Of course everything else new since the disk was written is missing.

As far as the GPS itself is concerned... Well, my aviation Garmin is 10X faster in response time and much more intuitive in its operation. For long trips and highway travel dash unit is works fine. However, when there are multiple turns close together, The Denso waits until I'm past the next turn then tells me to turn, which by then is too late. When it finally realizes I'm off course, it takes a very long time to recalculate the route, and by then you could be another mile away.

Also, the "PROCEDE TO THE HIGHLIGHTED ROUTE THEN NAVIGATION WILL BEGIN" is an assinine way of doing things. I mean, If I knew how to GET to the main roads why would I even need a GPS?

OK, I'm done complaining now. I would love a new database, but $200? Really! GM is trying to pay back Obama with databases!!

Sorry for my ramblings. Guess I just had a bad day. FEZ111

#14 ·
Regarding the "accuracy" of maps as far as what they show or don't show, I can say from personal experience that the maps on Garmin units might be as out of date or even more out of date than the GM maps. One poster suggested that the maps on any unit might be "about a year out of date... maybe a little more." A Garmin unit I owned did not show the street on which a friend lived even though he had been there for five years since the date on my Garmin maps.

#18 ·
It should also be noted that the Garmin map updates referred to are applicable to only one piece of Garmin hardware. If you stop using that hardware due to obsolesence , sell it, or lose it, (I have been through four Garmin units - one is obsolete, one was sold, and I still have the other two) the update goes away with it, and you have to buy another update.

#19 ·
The point is that Garmin maps are updated quarterly, therefore more accurate then the GM yearly and at 89.99 lifetime (of the unit) VS GMs 200.00 a year, much cheaper.

But, as I earlier posted, I will go with factory NAV on all future vehicles due to the Garmin being portable and the hassles involved. My Garmin was purchased for use in a vehicle without a NAV system.

#21 ·
I too have horrible accuracy with my built in nav on my dts 2009. It is off on the screen (by allot) and like others have said, stuff that's been there for over 4 years, do not even show up. My portable Garmin has not once failed me. The built in nav is in my 2009 dts is a pain and wrong far too often. It either tells you to turn way to early or Wait's till it's past your turn. It is almost useless. My Garmins are right on point, telling you in plenty of time with Lane assist, telling me which lane to be in at the correct time (along with the street name). I wish my built in nav system worked to where it was reliable, because it's much more attractive (I love it i just wish it was more accurate). I do hate that it locks once the car is rolling, my co-piolet cant use it because it locks. I wish it was as accurate as my garmins ( I have 3 ) and the garmins offer a free update. So unless someone says the new maps are on point, i wont travel without my garmin.

#22 ·
My cousin has a garmin. It really failed him. Yes it has a neat feature of finding a restaurant of the type we wanted, but it got us very lost, We were in 2 cars and I was following in my rental. We were in northern Westchester county, NY. It also got him lost going to the cemetary which have been there for over a hundred years.

#23 ·
I have both Garmin and GM units. Both are back level with respect to map accuracy and will always be back level. If you expect yesterday's road to appear on today's maps, forget it. It takes time (years) to get changes through the system, and some areas are ignored much longer than others.

#27 ·
We had a trip to Ocean City NJ this past weekend; first long drive with the new (to me) Caddy. We used the built-in Nav system (even though I know the route) but on the way home, when we wanted to find a place to eat, we had to break out the Garmin. The POI function on the built-in is not up to par. I do like the eta on the Garmin and my Garmin also doubles as a blutooth and an mp3 player so it's hard to choose. I hate to have it sit on top of the dash so I think it'll always be a backup to the built in one.

Btw-does anybody know how to check what version the built-in disc is? When I bought my car it didn't have a disc; I had to ask the salesgirl and she handed me one. We can't find a date on it at all.

#28 ·
We had a trip to Ocean City NJ this past weekend; first long drive with the new (to me) Caddy. We used the built-in Nav system (even though I know the route) but on the way home, when we wanted to find a place to eat, we had to break out the Garmin. The POI function on the built-in is not up to par. I do like the eta on the Garmin and my Garmin also doubles as a blutooth and an mp3 player so it's hard to choose. I hate to have it sit on top of the dash so I think it'll always be a backup to the built in one.

Btw-does anybody know how to check what version the built-in disc is? When I bought my car it didn't have a disc; I had to ask the salesgirl and she handed me one. We can't find a date on it at all.
They usually do not have a DATE...
Look for the Version number... that will tell you what year/version it is.
Current version is 5... I think...

Texas Jim

#34 ·
Updated maps are just as useless as old ones if the "updates" don't include the roads you are interested in. I am well aware of the offers provided by Garmin, and I feel the need to point out that the "lifetime" offer only extends to the original purchaser of the update or the "lifetime" (as defined by Garmin) of the unit for which the update is purchased.

#35 ·
Correct and these Garmin's have a shelf life. The battery stops holding it's charge after about 3 years as mine has done. Very conflicted as to whether to replace it. Every time I call Garmin they tell me to do a "hard reset" and that does absolutely nothing. Also, Garmin will NOT remove a POI entry; restaurants, etc. Every update adds to what is in the unit so that by the time you've updated it about 6 or so times it takes longer and longer to find the satellite and fully boot up.

#39 ·
My Garmin is about 5 years old and the battery is fine. But, unless you are navigating a city using it as a hand held, you don’t really need the battery, just plug into a power outlet and go.

Why would you NOT want the latest POIs? That is one of the purposes of updating. Also, the updates do not slow down locating a satellite. The updates do not come into play until after you are fully operational and have selected a destination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.