Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The nav system uses the GPS module (receiver) in your car to determine your current location...as does any nav system. ...
    ken615 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk?

The nav system uses the GPS module (receiver) in your car to determine your current location...as does any nav system. If the GPS system doesn't have the latest firmware installed, the system will not correctly interpret the data that's on the nav disk, and your turn notifications will be either early or late. This correction is not something that I dreamed up. After over a month of dealing with a couple of service departments at different dealers, I finally opened a case with Cadillac Customer Service on how to improve the accuracy of the nav system (which was really lousy. Accuracy was off by a couple of hundred yards and turn notifications were invariably late). After a couple of false starts, the team at Cadillac that designs the nav system recommended the update thru Onstar. It worked for me...and should for you as well. The dealers that I dealt with had no clue whatsoever on how to update the prom, so don't let the Onstar tech try to convince you that the dealer can solve the problem. After the GPS prom got the latest firmware installed via the satellite link from Onstar, my nav system is at least as accurate as my Garmin.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Ken:

Can you pls let us know what you mean by "prom" - I don't think it is the thing that high school kids get drunk at in June...

If I contact my OnStar advisor I'd like to use the proper term, not the acronym.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

PROM...

Programmable
    Read
    Only
    Memory

Texas Jim

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

Okay, so I've spent some time driving around with 6.0c.

+ Pluses:

The colours on the screen are more attractive to look at.

The graphics appear to be slightly improved over 4.1c and 5.0c but not as clear as 3.0c.

The roads in my area are updated.

It cost me $79 off ebay.

- Minuses:

The clock is gone.

~ Neutrals:

The load time and destination button take the same amount of time on my 2008 as did 3.0c, 4.1c and 5.0c.

I need more time to assess if there's an improvement to the logic of its routings.

amy
    amy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdog View Post
    Hello, I would really like to get some feedback and intell on the matter of purchasing ($199+s&h,tax) the GM Direct 2011 Nav disk for my 2006 DTS. I have a Garmin and have been using it however, its seems to make no sense not to use the factory installed GPS system. The question really is, is the $200 well spent on the 2011 Nav disk, installed in a 2006 GPS system? I'm wondering if the dated system is going to work with the newest software? TIA diggerdog
    I suggest you to buy 2011 Nav disk from ebay since it costs you less than $200. I got 2011 Nav disk for my 2009 DTS for $175 from ebay.

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

Well I've now had enough time driving around with 6.0c to confirm that it still has the same illogical routings of the previous versions.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

have you double checked the 'route preference' settings in the config menu?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Danny331911 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

NO!!! Don't buy it and if you do for God's sake don't get it from the thieves at GMNAV Disk.

If you take out your DVD disk and put in your computer to check the folders you'll see that the 2011 dsk has maps dated DEC2008. The maps are even older than that and I have found no difference in them from the maps in the DEC2007 dated map folder on my GMNAV Dsk that came with my then new 2010 vehicle.

They just released the 2012 GMNAV dsk update and guess what. The maps are from 2009 and they are no where near up to date with roads and addresses that were open that year or in 2008 for that matter.

GM as always takes a great vehicle and then pisses off people that plunk down $50K or more by screwing up badly such details as "intentionally" selling 3-4 year old maps with a $1500-2500 in dash Nav system then trying to "gouge" customers for a ridiculous $200 for a truly feeble attempt at an "update".

GM needs to be held accountable for this scam and so far no one is except for the few of us willing to rip their thieving throats out on blogs.

We are not only customers but we bailed out this damn company with our tax dollars and we who then also pony up a huge bundles of cash to buy a GM vehicle DESERVES BETTER!

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Danny, how about you go and compile a list of the nav disc update prices for toyota/lexus, bmw, mercedes, gm, ford, nissan/infinity, and honda/acura ... you could do more if you like

then post your research back here... that is your homework for the week
    i have a feeling GM will not be the most expensive (probably about average)

thanks
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

davidcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury II

what he is saying is that atleast with updated disks from other car manufacturing companies you are getting quality updates. Its not the price, its what you get. On my 02 Q45 I updated the NAV with a 2006 disk (in 2007) and it was a major upgrade. Graphics, functionality, and the maps were 2006 maps with the latest road improvements. Cadillac should make it worthwhile, considering, well it isnt just for Cadillac. If you look at ALL GM NAV screens, they are, well the exact same for the most part). So, make it worth your while.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Don't have NAV, don't have any kind of GPS. So this is a totally uneducated comment. But I recently was on a house hunting trip and the real estate agent was able to sit at his kitchen table the night before with his Garmin unit, and program the thing to view six different properties, from time to time pausing to take a sip from his coffee and a bite from his donut. That convenience alone would point me toward the aftermarket units. Can't do that with an in-dash unit. He was also able to place the display up on the dash where he could see it without having to take his eyes completely off the road. Another thing you can't do with the indash unit (at least in the DTS).

Granted, the aftermarket stuff is a bit messy with the extra wires and mounting issues. But you don't need the thing everyday. Keep it in your desk drawer until you need it.....

ffrog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Don't have NAV, don't have any kind of GPS. So this is a totally uneducated comment. But I recently was on a house hunting trip and the real estate agent was able to sit at his kitchen table the night before with his Garmin unit, and program the thing to view six different properties, from time to time pausing to take a sip from his coffee and a bite from his donut. That convenience alone would point me toward the aftermarket units. Can't do that with an in-dash unit. He was also able to place the display up on the dash where he could see it without having to take his eyes completely off the road. Another thing you can't do with the indash unit (at least in the DTS).

Granted, the aftermarket stuff is a bit messy with the extra wires and mounting issues. But you don't need the thing everyday. Keep it in your desk drawer until you need it.....

You brought up a good point. Volvo and maybe others, offer two types of navigation systems. They have the in dash permanent mount and they offer a Garmin that plugs into a built in docking station. No wires no mess. This one you can also use in any vehicle and program it in the house as you said.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post

Vic,

You can set the end of the trip on the built in NAV and then set WAYPOINTS to take you to other places.
    Or an even easier way is to just put in the six different addresses...
    It stores them all in memory and you just touch two buttons to have one of them display on your screen...
    It is super easy to do...
    And if you have a 2009 or newer... you can do it all on your smartphone using GOOGLE MAPS...and send it all to the car...

Jim

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    You can also use the onstar app to do the same. Very convenient instead of trying to punch it manually on the dash. I tried it and it worked great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.