Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by StuJac I just checked the disc case and it says 5.0c . Great that she handed me ...
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk?

Quote Originally Posted by StuJac View Post
    I just checked the disc case and it says 5.0c. Great that she handed me a new disc.
    Very good...
    There "MAY" be one newer than that, but I am not sure.

Jim

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

call up the navdisc center and ask them... they will know for sure
    there should be an 8 digit part number on the face of the disc also that they might use to determine exactly what version/year that disc is from
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

The latest version I know of is 6.0c p/n 20940248.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Updated maps are just as useless as old ones if the "updates" don't include the roads you are interested in. I am well aware of the offers provided by Garmin, and I feel the need to point out that the "lifetime" offer only extends to the original purchaser of the update or the "lifetime" (as defined by Garmin) of the unit for which the update is purchased.

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Correct and these Garmin's have a shelf life. The battery stops holding it's charge after about 3 years as mine has done. Very conflicted as to whether to replace it. Every time I call Garmin they tell me to do a "hard reset" and that does absolutely nothing. Also, Garmin will NOT remove a POI entry; restaurants, etc. Every update adds to what is in the unit so that by the time you've updated it about 6 or so times it takes longer and longer to find the satellite and fully boot up.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Maybe there are better choices than the factory NAV...
    I won't debate that...
    But my factory unit has always got me to where I need to go or at least close enough that I had no problem finding what I was looking for.

For the time being... that's good enough for me.
    Gonna take another long trip here in a few days... 4000 to 5000 miles.
    If it messes up on the trip... then I may consider something else, but so far, as I said, I have been happy with the factory NAV.

Texas Jim

I just bought 6.0 from ebay. I'll let y'all know about it once it arrives and i get it installed.

osiris83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance

Does the clock show up automatically when you put in the new disc? I downloaded the the 6.0c (20940248) disc, i popped the disc in, it updated for several minutes but no clock. I like the analog clock on the dash but it picks up a lot of glare.

ffrog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by StuJac View Post
    Correct and these Garmin's have a shelf life. The battery stops holding it's charge after about 3 years as mine has done. Very conflicted as to whether to replace it. Every time I call Garmin they tell me to do a "hard reset" and that does absolutely nothing. Also, Garmin will NOT remove a POI entry; restaurants, etc. Every update adds to what is in the unit so that by the time you've updated it about 6 or so times it takes longer and longer to find the satellite and fully boot up.
    My Garmin is about 5 years old and the battery is fine. But, unless you are navigating a city using it as a hand held, you donít really need the battery, just plug into a power outlet and go.

Why would you NOT want the latest POIs? That is one of the purposes of updating. Also, the updates do not slow down locating a satellite. The updates do not come into play until after you are fully operational and have selected a destination.

jlwilson33952 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance +

I replaced a Version 4 disc in my 2006 DTS Performance with the new 2011 Version 6.0c and I think I am going back. The clock is gone now and pressing the DEST button takes about 20 seconds to come up with the DEST screen. If anyone wants this 6.0c I will trade it for a late Version 5. Email me at jlwilson33952@comcast.net
    I think the newer model cars must come with faster processors.

I received my version 6.0c in the mail today. It took about 10 minutes to update.

I can confirm that the digital clock is sadly gone, however the graphical layout of the screen appears to be an improvement.

I have not yet been able to test it on the road, but will update y'all later.

ken615 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

You can improve the performance of the nav system by pushing the Onstar button and asking the person to update your GPS prom. I did that when I went to a version 5.0 disk and the speed and accuracy of the system improved dramatically. They download the latest firmware into your system as you are driving down the road, no charge, and it only takes a few minutes. Give it a try. Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by ken615 View Post
    You can improve the performance of the nav system by pushing the Onstar button and asking the person to update your GPS prom. I did that when I went to a version 5.0 disk and the speed and accuracy of the system improved dramatically. They download the latest firmware into your system as you are driving down the road, no charge, and it only takes a few minutes. Give it a try. Ken.
    I tried this the other day and they switched me over to the technical folks who then told me that I would have to take it to a dealer for this update.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as far as I know the only thing that the onstar people can do is initiate an update that is already on the disc in your drive... there is no data transfer that they can initiate over the cell phone connection - definitely nothing over the satellite connection (that is strictly for gps)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    as far as I know the only thing that the onstar people can do is initiate an update that is already on the disc in your drive... there is no data transfer that they can initiate over the cell phone connection - definitely nothing over the satellite connection (that is strictly for gps)
    That is exactly what On-Star TEC told me. And, it makes sense. Maybe the other poster was referring to On-Star turn by turn directions which, really sucks, versus the Navigation System.

FYI: The other day I was setting up a destination and my hand slipped and I accidently touched somewhere near the center of the screen. The system no longer showed my carís icon where it normally is. I finally got back to where the display normally is and it showed words at the bottom of the screen indicating that I was actually sitting in the DRIVEWAY of my home address. This never showed up before. And, this is the good part, the system is actually more accurate. On a freeway it actually beeps where I should get off, not a couple of hundred feet prior to the point as it used to. I am afraid to experiment, I donít want to lose the new found accuracy.

Gee, now maybe I can find my way home. :

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.