Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Superjim You can get a new disk a lot cheaper on ebay. When you install the new ...
    Mark58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance

Re: Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    You can get a new disk a lot cheaper on ebay.
    When you install the new disk...it will tell you to wait a few minutes while it updates the NAV system.
    It will work faster after that.
    And you will have a digital clock in the screen.

Texas Jim

Digital clock? I had that on 2010 disk but not on 2011????

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I am aware of all the map updates (one time or lifetime) that Garmin offers and their costs.

It should also be noted that the Garmin map updates referred to are applicable to only one piece of Garmin hardware. If you stop using that hardware due to obsolesence , sell it, or lose it, (I have been through four Garmin units - one is obsolete, one was sold, and I still have the other two) the update goes away with it, and you have to buy another update.

ffrog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

The point is that Garmin maps are updated quarterly, therefore more accurate then the GM yearly and at 89.99 lifetime (of the unit) VS GMs 200.00 a year, much cheaper.

But, as I earlier posted, I will go with factory NAV on all future vehicles due to the Garmin being portable and the hassles involved. My Garmin was purchased for use in a vehicle without a NAV system.

It is a lot cheaper (0 $), than any of the alternatives you are describing, to not make any purchases at all from Garmin or GM.

justinx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 2003

I too have horrible accuracy with my built in nav on my dts 2009. It is off on the screen (by allot) and like others have said, stuff that's been there for over 4 years, do not even show up. My portable Garmin has not once failed me. The built in nav is in my 2009 dts is a pain and wrong far too often. It either tells you to turn way to early or Wait's till it's past your turn. It is almost useless. My Garmins are right on point, telling you in plenty of time with Lane assist, telling me which lane to be in at the correct time (along with the street name). I wish my built in nav system worked to where it was reliable, because it's much more attractive (I love it i just wish it was more accurate). I do hate that it locks once the car is rolling, my co-piolet cant use it because it locks. I wish it was as accurate as my garmins ( I have 3 ) and the garmins offer a free update. So unless someone says the new maps are on point, i wont travel without my garmin.

cooncat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8

My cousin has a garmin. It really failed him. Yes it has a neat feature of finding a restaurant of the type we wanted, but it got us very lost, We were in 2 cars and I was following in my rental. We were in northern Westchester county, NY. It also got him lost going to the cemetary which have been there for over a hundred years.

I have both Garmin and GM units. Both are back level with respect to map accuracy and will always be back level. If you expect yesterday's road to appear on today's maps, forget it. It takes time (years) to get changes through the system, and some areas are ignored much longer than others.

psc
    psc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS

I just call On-Star...they seem to get me there everytime.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by psc View Post
    I just call On-Star...they seem to get me there everytime.
    ...yeah...what he said...love OnStar.....

fez111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts

My Garmin is mostly for flying, but it also turned out to be w wonderful auto GPS as well. As far as databases, most Garmins can be periodically updated online. They charge for it, but its a fraction of the $200 Gm wants!!!

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

We had a trip to Ocean City NJ this past weekend; first long drive with the new (to me) Caddy. We used the built-in Nav system (even though I know the route) but on the way home, when we wanted to find a place to eat, we had to break out the Garmin. The POI function on the built-in is not up to par. I do like the eta on the Garmin and my Garmin also doubles as a blutooth and an mp3 player so it's hard to choose. I hate to have it sit on top of the dash so I think it'll always be a backup to the built in one.

Btw-does anybody know how to check what version the built-in disc is? When I bought my car it didn't have a disc; I had to ask the salesgirl and she handed me one. We can't find a date on it at all.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by StuJac View Post
    We had a trip to Ocean City NJ this past weekend; first long drive with the new (to me) Caddy. We used the built-in Nav system (even though I know the route) but on the way home, when we wanted to find a place to eat, we had to break out the Garmin. The POI function on the built-in is not up to par. I do like the eta on the Garmin and my Garmin also doubles as a blutooth and an mp3 player so it's hard to choose. I hate to have it sit on top of the dash so I think it'll always be a backup to the built in one.

Btw-does anybody know how to check what version the built-in disc is? When I bought my car it didn't have a disc; I had to ask the salesgirl and she handed me one. We can't find a date on it at all.
    They usually do not have a DATE...
    Look for the Version number... that will tell you what year/version it is.
    Current version is 5... I think...

Texas Jim

Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    They usually do not have a DATE...
    Look for the Version number... that will tell you what year/version it is.
    Current version is 5... I think...

Texas Jim
    I just checked the disc case and it says 5.0c. Great that she handed me a new disc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.