07 DTS Performance time for tires help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 07 DTS Performance time for tires help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I have the original Bridgestone 18" tires on the car. It now has 27K and there is some tread ...
    joedee13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 DTS Performance

07 DTS Performance time for tires help

Hi,
    I have the original Bridgestone 18" tires on the car. It now has 27K and there is some tread left but will need some tires soon. I have been checking out the possible replacements and have not found too many options. I did see that Bridgestone has a tire called the serenity that might be good. Any other options?

This is my first post here. Only bought the car 3 weeks ago.

Thank you,
    Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: 07 DTS Performance time for tires help

Welcome! I'm sure some performance owners will have good input. Do you need tires that are also good in snow or do you drive in perpetual summer?

hartmn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

joodee13,

I have an 06 DTS Performance that I bought in November 2008 from a dealer. I recommend that you put the same Bridgestone tires right back on that car. The manufactures spend a lot of time and money and research into each car tires for mileage, performance, etc etc. In my opinion you can not beat it.

I would go to a a Americas tire for them. My last quote was in may 2009 for all for it was 806.50. I'm am sure have gone up since then.

My 2 cents.

Eric

Hi,
    Yes, we get snow. I am in Wisconsin but, if the snow gets bad than I switch to the Tahoe so some traction in the snow and rain is important. I also want a tire that provides a good ride and not a lot of noise. We have American tire here. I got a quote for the Bridgestone's of 929.00 from another dealer in town but wanted to see if anyone has tried them or if there is something else I should be looking at.

Joe

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by joedee13 View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, we get snow. I am in Wisconsin but, if the snow gets bad than I switch to the Tahoe so some traction in the snow and rain is important. I also want a tire that provides a good ride and not a lot of noise. We have American tire here. I got a quote for the Bridgestone's of 929.00 from another dealer in town but wanted to see if anyone has tried them or if there is something else I should be looking at.

Joe

I will be putting new tires on my 2006 Performance pretty soon.
    The car ahs 72,000 on it.
    The ones on the rear are still original...I have replaced the front two..one time... at about 42,000 miles.

I didn't rotate them often enough, and the front ones were getting pretty well worn at 42,000.

I will be replacing the Bridgestones with these...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ance%20Package

I have read good reports about them.
    They are "SUPPOSED" to be quieter than the Brigestones.
    I don't know about yours, but my Bridgestones are EXTREMELY" noisy.
    That has been my major complaint about the car.
    I like pretty much everything about it except the noisy tires.

If you notice, the Yokohama's are rated AA for traction and A for heat.
    They are also "V" rated.

I may not like them after I get them...will have to wait and see.

Texas Jim

hartmn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Superjim,

A Texas Cadillac DTS Performance with Japanese tires on it! Say it so Jim...say it so!

Eric

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

1. Tire Rack and Discount Tire have some really good reviews/evaluations. I like the Tire Rack "survey results" where they compare all brands of tires under separate categories (hi perf, ultra hi perf, all season perf, etc.)

2. If you do drive up north and have an accident in a state that requires at least all season, you will have a major legal problem on your hands. You can also buy an extra set of wheels and snow tires or all seasons. Wheels here on the forum are relatively cheap, sometimes $400 to $600 for a set of 4. Right now there is a set of used wheels and blizzaks at a good price.

3. Someone commented that manufacts spend a ton of time, $$, research on various brands. Not quite true. Some forums have specific sections for tires and wheels. BMW, for example, put run flats on their cars for several years. Many drivers threw them away for a variety of reasons. BMW used continentals, and they were especially noisy. Ford used Bridgestone/Firestone, and ....
    I suspect the manufacts spend a lot of time on the actual specs of the wheels and tires, but the brand is related to "lowest cost." Manufacts will also change brands mid-year. If you look at the survey results at Tire Rack, you will see that tires are rated on about 15 diff parameters. The ratings on any particular brand are not equal across all tested factors.

Tire A might have the highest overall rating, but it can be noisy or poor in rain.
    Tire B might have a similarly high overall rating, but it's weak points might be cornering stability and ride comfort.

Like buying a car--Brand A might have better looks, but Brand B is a bear to work on. Both can be rated the highest in the industry.

You can't win.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by hartmn View Post
    Superjim,

A Texas Cadillac DTS Performance with Japanese tires on it! Say it so Jim...say it so!

Eric

I am assuming you meant "Say it ain't so"
    I wish it wasn't so...but...as for the Bridgestones...they are just too noisy for me to tolerate any longer.
    I am forced to try something different...not because I want to, but because I have to.

Texas Jim

Southern is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird

Bridgestone is japanese too..........and manufacturers oft times spend a lot of time on tire choices. Many times it is because some tires have lower rolling resistance and that helps with the CAFE. Sometimes tires are developed especially for a certain car. My Murano came with 235/65-18s and they were LS by Goodyear designed especially for the Murano. In 2003 there was no other tire made in the world at that size. Later other companies covered that size......so when I bought my replacement Michelins.........I gained lower noise, better handling......and gave up <>1 to 1.5 MPG.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

I have had such good luck with Michelins in the past few years that I'm using them on all my vehicles, including my old chore truck. Heck, I probably boosted the value of that truck by more than 25% this year by buying new summer and winter tires for it.

Texas Jim Wrote:
    "I will be replacing the Bridgestones with these...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ance%20Package

I have read good reports about them.
    They are "SUPPOSED" to be quieter than the Brigestones.
    I don't know about yours, but my Bridgestones are EXTREMELY" noisy.
    That has been my major complaint about the car.
    I like pretty much everything about it except the noisy tires."

I tried to do the Quote reply but I don't have enough posts???? Not sure what this is all about. So I posted the quote above via copy and paste.
    My reply is:

I have read the reviews for the Yokohama's and they are not too good. I am thinking the way to go may be with the Bridgestones unless anyone else has tried something else and has some good feedback.

Joe

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

I have Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s on mine and they are vastly superior to the original Bridgestones save road noise. If they were any other tire brand besides Michelin, I wouldn't complain about road noise, but that's one foe the aspects I like most about Michelins is how quiet they operate, but these Pilots, not so much so. The road noise isn't completely unbearable as it was with the Bridgestones, but they're still noisy enough that I would never consider any type of road trip in this car, regardless of the duration.

Otherwise, they've been typical Michelins--smooth riding, no hydroplaning, maintain balance, no squealing, no vibrations, etc. I wish the same could be said of the Bridgestones, worst tire I've ever experienced.

I almost purchased the Bridgestone Turanza Serenitys, but I spoke with several people who have them on their Lexus LS, and while they praised the quiet ride, all said they were still prone to vibrations, hydroplaning, and felt they ride could have been smoother. At the time, that put me back with the Michelins since the only other tires available were high performance summer tires, and all seasons are a must for me.

If Michelin is making them in a compatible size, I'd have the Primacy MXV4 on my car now. My sis has them on her CTS, I've driven it a few times, and those tires are awesome.

Just my $.02.

Thanks for the input guys. Now I don't know what I am going to do. Both tire options have issues.

Joe

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Put 4 donuts on ground, and drive like they do in Memphis. I ain't kidding.

After reading all the reviews for the various tires available in 18" I am going with the Bridgestone Serenity. They have the highest rating and most of the reviews were very good. Will have them installed next Friday and will let everyone know how they are once I get a few miles on them.

Joe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.