DTS - How to Remove Back Seat ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, DTS - How to Remove Back Seat ?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2008 Cadillac DTS How do I lift up the rear seat cushion in a 2008 Cadillac DTS so that I ...
    WEHowell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

DTS - How to Remove Back Seat ??

2008 Cadillac DTS

How do I lift up the rear seat cushion in a 2008 Cadillac DTS so that I can retrieve the items that my child has lost under that seat?

I need to learn how to remove the seat bottom of the back seat so that I can get to items that have fallen under that seat?

Anyone know how to release the seat so that I can get under the back seat of my Cadillac DTS?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: DTS - How to Remove Back Seat ??

Push the catches on the front bottom edge of the rear seat cushion toward the rear of the car, and when they disingage, lift the front of the rear seat cushion up. You will find that the battery is also under the rear seat cushion, along with your child's stuff.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Just a quick note...the catches on my 2006 DTS are VERY HARD to push to the rear far enough to release them.
    Yours may be, and hopefully is, easier than mine.
    Just remember...It can be done.

Texas Jim

cubldr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II

As Jim stated, it can be a bear sometimes. Don't attempt with any women or children within earshot. ...and perspiration is mandatory in weather above 72 degrees F.

In addition to the battery, there is also a second fuse block under there as I recall.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

If you can't get it, ask any body shop guy or any service writer to do it for you. Don't forget to return the favor to him/her.

WEHowell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you for the suggestions around pushing the latches towards the rear of the vehicle. It doesn't appear that you can tell where the latches are. Do you just push back on the side of the rear seat and pray that you are strong enough to release some latch that you don't understand its physical structure? Or is there something under the seat edge where I should be trying to put a screwdriver or crowbar to push against? I particularly like that there is no mention of this in the owner's manual whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by WEHowell View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions around pushing the latches towards the rear of the vehicle. It doesn't appear that you can tell where the latches are. Do you just push back on the side of the rear seat and pray that you are strong enough to release some latch that you don't understand its physical structure? Or is there something under the seat edge where I should be trying to put a screwdriver or crowbar to push against? I particularly like that there is no mention of this in the owner's manual whatsoever...

Nope...no screwdriver or pry bar...just a little brute strength.

If I remember right...the catches are in about centered on each side... about halfway between the end of the seat and the center floorboard hump.
    Move the FRONT SEATS all the way forward to get room to squat down, so you can put enough pressure on them to release them.
    You can do one side at a time...of course.

The good news...it goes back in a lot easier than it comes out.

Texas Jim

PS..tell the kids to quit dropping stuff behind the seat.
    Gomaz likes this.

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Nope...no screwdriver or pry bar...just a little brute strength.

If I remember right...the catches are in about centered on each side... about halfway between the end of the seat and the center floorboard hump.
    Move the FRONT SEATS all the way forward to get room to squat down, so you can put enough pressure on them to release them.
    You can do one side at a time...of course.

The good news...it goes back in a lot easier than it comes out.

Texas Jim

PS..tell the kids to quit dropping stuff behind the seat.
    What is interesting is that this is the way rear seats have been secured for years - there are some clips on the floor pointing up about half way between the hump and the side. The seat drops down into these clips and the seat is usually secure. By getting into the back seat foot well and using your knee for leverage while pressing down on the seat, it will push back far enough to release and you can then rotate it up or lift ist out. Been that way since the early fifties, and maybe before that.

CalDrvr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac DTS

Maybe my seat cushion isn't installed correctly. The bottom of the cushion at the front sticks out about and inch; at least enough to get my fingers in, but I couldn't feel any kind of latch or clip. The seat seemed loose enough to lift, but I didn't just in case I'm leaving out some "very important step." Am I on the right track and should I just lift the cushion and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by CalDrvr View Post
    Maybe my seat cushion isn't installed correctly. The bottom of the cushion at the front sticks out about and inch; at least enough to get my fingers in, but I couldn't feel any kind of latch or clip. The seat seemed loose enough to lift, but I didn't just in case I'm leaving out some "very important step." Am I on the right track and should I just lift the cushion and see what happens?

Mine also sticks out about an inch...but you can not lift it.
    It still needs to be pushed back and the catch released before you can lift the bottom cushion.

Texas Jim

Cadinick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Eldo convertible

As a just-been-there-sweating-and-swearing testimonial...
    According to the owner's manual (index under 'battery' takes you to the fact that the battery is under the rear seat and that page refers you to the page about the fuse block under the seat - thanks to Cubldr for the clue).

ANYways, on the 2010 model, it requires only inordinate UPward pressure. Texas Jim's old "C" clip on the floor pan HAS been replaced by devices on the cushion that 'snap' into two recepticles on the body. So grab under the front edge of the seat where it moves the least amount upwards and apply a steady (you can grunt/sweat/swear as needed) upward pull.

Mind the seat belts on reinstallation. As in the olden days, the installation is still much (MUCH) easier than the removal.

RubirosaGGatsby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

After reading through these comments, I thought I knew what I was doing trying to get the backseat out just now... I pushed and lifted but nothing [productive] happened. Any advice? I have a 2008 btw; trying to unplug the battery so I can change out the steering wheel.

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Just pull the seat up on each conner just pull it hard it should come off.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Do 1 side at a time
    Norm

Cadillac_Phx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Concours (SOLD) / 2006 DTS Lux II

It's really not difficult, I just bought my first DTS 4 days ago & I took out the back seat on the 2nd day I had it. I was checking the fuses because both of my cig lighters in the front aren't working, the fuses are good so I don't know what it could be...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.