want to flush Dexcoool coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, want to flush Dexcoool coolant in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have two GM vehicles both in warranty and am thinking about flushing the pink Dexcool coolant out and replacing ...
    cubldr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II

want to flush Dexcoool coolant

I have two GM vehicles both in warranty and am thinking about flushing the pink Dexcool coolant out and replacing with green antifreeze post haste. Just read about the class action lawsuit against GM earlier this year. GM introduced this pink stuff in 1996 and I have been hearing since 2002 about how it mucks up radiators, and damages gaskets/ seals.

I have heard two solutions. Flush it out, and replace with the good old green antifreeze, or at least change the Dexcool every two years (as per a radiator repair website) which is a far cry from the 100K service the manual says you should get from this stuff.

The question is, would replacing coolant with something other than Dexcool potentially void the factory warranty for any reason?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cubldr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II

Re: want to flush Dexcoool coolant

Just got an answer to my question. Flush and replace Dexcool with Dexcool every 30-40K miles per my non-dealer service guys I have used for 20 years. A few years ago the word was to flush out the pink and replace with the green but there are corrosion issues that have ben determined to develop when replacing green into systems that had the pink.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

After four years the Dexcool in my wife's DTS was fine and caused no problems. I also had Dexcool in my 2004 and 2005 CTS-Vs with no problems. My 2009 CTS-V has had Dexcool in it for almost a year with no problems. In short, I have had no problems with Dexcool.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I have had 6 new GM vehicles since 1999.

I did not realize till the last 3 years or so, that the DEXCOOL needed to be changed regularly.

All 6 of the vehicles have had DEXCOOL in them.
    I have had "ZERO" issues with the DEXCOOL in any of them.

One that I bought in 1999, I kept till 2006.
    It had just over 250,000 miles on it when I sold it.
    DEXCOOL had been changed one time, at about 175,000 miles when I replaced the water pump.

Another 1999 model, had about 175,000 on it when I sold it.
    Never had the DEXCOOL changed...never had a problem with it.

My 2006 DTS now has a little over 72,000 on it.
    I will be changing the DEXCOOL in it, it in the very near future...just to be on the safe side.

Just my opinion, and my opinion only...but I don't think it needs changing every two years of 30,000 miles.

Texas Jim

All of the documentation that I have now or have had for Dexcool indicated that Dexcool is good for five years or 150,000 miles. This includes all owner's manuals for vehicles containing Dexcool and both Texaco and Shell versions of Dexcool. In my case, I have never kept a car with Dexcool for five years or run it for 150,000 miles (Superjim drives a lot!). So, all of my vehicles had the original Dexcool coolant in them when they went away.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Biggest hint on anti-freeze: If you smell anti-freeze, take car immediately for a leak test.

Mixing of green and other anti-freeze will eat up intake manifold gaskets in a matter of months or less.

The Northstar engines in the late 90s needed to have the anti-freeze changed every 2 years or so, or you were more likely to blow a head gasket.

I have gotten this info from a variety of GM service mgrs who had a lot of gray hair, and we extremely honest.

I paid for an intake manifold gasket on my son's 96 Century shortly after he mixed the colors.

There are a ton of GM TSBs out there on this topic.

One other TSB talks about not letting older GM 5 and 5.7 liter engines sit for months at a time. The head gaskets are prone to being eaten up by the green fluid.

(Take a look at the various anti-freeze mixtures at any auto parts store.)

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

One of my co-workers had a dexcool head gasket failure on his family's 04 GM minivan w/ 90K miles over the Thanksgiving holiday while out of state. No coverage.

There is no proof given in the previous post that the gasket failure was due to Dexcool. Since there was no original or extended warranty available to cover the cost, whoever fixed the problem might say anything.

As other posters have noted, mixing Dexcool with other types of antifreeze is totally unacceptable. This fact is noted in the owner's manuals and on the antifreeze containers of all Dexcool brands. If gasket are not destroyed, the resulting sludge will definitely clog up the cooling system.

coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

On flushing........easy enough to drain the radiator, but how about getting the coolant out of the engine? Are there plugs like some of the old 60's V8's?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by coolvt View Post
    On flushing........easy enough to drain the radiator, but how about getting the coolant out of the engine?
    Are there plugs like some of the old 60's V8's?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Short answer... NO... LOL
    Some of the dealers use a vacuum thingy that they claim gets almost all of the old coolant out.
    (But I have my doubts about that)

My opinion is to just drain all you can out and replace with new coolant.
    It is the ADDITIVE PACKAGE that gets depleted... and adding new coolant puts in new additives.

After the first drain and refill, I would do it every 2 or 3 years or about every 40k to 50k miles... whichever came first.
    That way it regularly gets new additives added to the existing coolant.

Texas Jim

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

A shop vac, or compressed air, might get a little more out, but it's really not necessary. The only way to COMPLETELY drain the system, is to remove the coolant crossover.

On the topic of DEX-COOL and mixing it with green coolant:

There is absolutely NOTHING different about the aluminum, plastic, rubber, and steel components of the cooling systems or engines in GM cars, or GM gasket materials, than any other manufacturer. There is absolutely NO reason that you NEED to use DEX-COOL. Any coolant labeled for all makes/all models will do EXACTLY the same thing, and WILL NOT damage anything.

DEX was intended to be a long life, silicate free coolant, that's all. There's nothing particularly special about it. Compare the ingredients on a bottle of DEX, to those on a bottle of "the green stuff".

Mixing DEX with any green coolant that states it is mixable with any color coolant, WILL NOT damage anything, WILL NOT eat away at gaskets, and WILL NOT create any magical, evil "sludge".

lohimike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

When I bought my 2006 DTS this Summer ,one of the first things I did was take it to the dealer and had transmission service and Dexcool complete change. It was neat they just hook up a machine and does complete change.

5.0 lsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium
    Just had my dealer do it . Im at 72k. It was only 139.99 you cant beat that

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    For a coolant change?!?!

coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Looking at changing my coolant. Is there a drain somewhere?? I could disconnect the lower hose where it attaches to the engine, but can't see how I could reach the lower hose where it attaches to the radiator.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.