TSB For Flickering Headlights - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, TSB For Flickering Headlights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by billdaman http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nightmare.html Replacing the bulbs sounds worse than it is. Took me about an hour. Seems easiest ...
    bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Re: TSB For Flickering Headlights

Replacing the bulbs sounds worse than it is. Took me about an hour. Seems easiest to to one side at a time, in other words do not remove the entire front valance from the car.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

bigtone could explain just a little how to do one at a time, ( can the whole lens be removed doing one side at a time? ). Would you be able to take the lens inside you're home and change all bulbs you're way? Sorry if the questions sound silly but I've never had to replace mine yet, just being informed and ready when I have to thanks.

brucehammond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS, 2013 ATS 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Caddy
    bigtone could explain just a little how to do one at a time, ( can the whole lens be removed doing one side at a time? ). Would you be able to take the lens inside you're home and change all bulbs you're way? Sorry if the questions sound silly but I've never had to replace mine yet, just being informed and ready when I have to thanks.
    It really is not that bad. I did it without even taking the wheel off I actually had to take the passenger side off twice to change the ballast. Had it in and out in 37 minutes.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Caddy View Post
    If you just loosen one side of the valance, you do not need help removing it entirely off the car. There is enough flex in it to pull it away the 6 inches or so that you need to remove the light assembly itself. If I remember, after valence is out of the way, 3 bolts (all 10mm) is all that holds the light assembly in. I did not remove the wheel either. There is a good writeup with pics that helped me as far as finding the bolts by feel. Do a search.

bearwax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

My right HID headlamps on my 2006 DTS has started turning off randomly. sometimes it will flicker a couple times and stay off. If I manually turn off the headlamps and then back on, it will usually stay on again for awhile. Some nights it will stay on without flickering. The headlamp is still bright, but definitely has a pink tint to it. It's not visibly flickering more than a couple times.

I've read online about bulbs and ballasts and from what it seems like to me, is that it's time to replace the bulb, but if I wait longer the bulb flickering could get worse and cause the ballast to fail. Does that seem like a fair assessment? The ballast is awfully expensive and I'm hoping that if I replace the bulb now, while it's just starting to go out, that maybe that will save the ballast. Can anyone offer some advise?

Do the front wheels need to come off, or can they be turned out of the way? This determines whether I can do the job myself. I don't have a jack and don't want to buy one.
    Cadillacman916 likes this.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

The wheels do NOT have to come off. Just change the bulb, once you have done this it is much faster the second time if you need to do the ballast later. When you see your ballast see if it is made in France or Germany. Mine is made in Germany, I think I read on a thread that the 2006,2007 have the French and 2008 and up have the German and they are trouble free.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.