2006 DTS Performance HID Headlight issue...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 DTS Performance HID Headlight issue... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2006 DTS, and i am experiencing problems with the driver side HID headlight. Sometimes it shuts off ...
    dthakoor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 2006 DTS

2006 DTS Performance HID Headlight issue...

I have a 2006 DTS, and i am experiencing problems with the driver side HID headlight. Sometimes it shuts off on me, if I turn the car off and then back on it works as expected again. This is an intermittent issue, also it seems as though when the headlight is on it is not aligned. It thought that these vehicles had auto leveling HID systems. Any knowledge/pointers on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SouthernCountry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Black Raven

Re: 2006 DTS Performance HID Headlight issue...

You're not the only one or first to address. My pass side does it. I just cut the lights off and back on and it comes on. A quick fix for now. Someone said it is either loose or is going out. Best bet is to swap with each side and see what happens. I've been lazy but I think I will do it tomorrow. It's a pain to get in there too. I'm not sure its the light tho for mine cause I had the right parking light out and then it started working again before I could take a look and hasnt gone out since but the hid started to and its aggravating. Caddys dont look right with one headlight.

Andy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guys, your HID bulb is failing. Best to just replace it. It is covered under warranty.
    The ignitor ballast is trying to re-ignite bulb, then the ballast over heats and turns off. Turning off car re-sets ballast only to start cycle again. The ballast is very expensive (over $800) so best to change bulb now.
    Its about 2 hours to change bulb, and bulb is about $75 to $120 each depending on where you get it.
    Fender liner and bottom pan have to be partly undone to access fasteners behind lamp housing. Airfilter box etc has to come out to access more fasteners. Way more complicated and time consuming than needs be. GM are you listening??
    Good luck

too much of a hassle..i decided to pull it out today just to see what kind of work is involved and it was a complete pain u know where..i did the passenger side so i didnt get the chance to play with the air filter..removed the fender nuts, removed the grille and stuck a towel on the fender so it didnt scratch the paint and was able to pull out the whole piece..i dont know how they can change it just from the wheel well..maybe if it was on a lift possibly... but that was a headache..it took me half the day cause it started raining and then the fios guy came to install my stuff so i was delayed in putting it back..5hrs basically to remove and 15mins to put back in..lopsided time ratio but now i know what to expect after i get my lights..how much would i have to pay roughly if i took it to the dealer with lights in hand?

CaddiLukKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille(totalled):2007 DTS White Lightning Performance

Hi, Everybody, i have quick question.

When switching from Hi Beam to Low Beam.. I hear a THUMPING bump underneath what sounds like somewhere in the firewall or maybe the fender well <most likely> but its loud, Is it natural for it to do that?
    Thanks.

Mine does that too. I think all of them do cause I had the same question when I got mine. They didnt say what causes the sound but that it just means that its working.
    You could ask Ewill3rd. He's an official tech.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCountry View Post
    Mine does that too. I think all of them do cause I had the same question when I got mine. They didnt say what causes the sound but that it just means that its working.
    You could ask Ewill3rd. He's an official tech.
    COOL thanks... ill take your word on it..

Andy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The thumping you hear is the shutter (like when you blink your eyelid) over the bulb moving up off the bulb for Hi beam and back down half-way over the bulb for low beam.
    These bulbs don't have a hi and low wattage like the filament bulbs.
    Nothing to worry about.
    Andy1 Calgary

Thumbs up Re: 2006 DTS Performance HID Headlight issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1 View Post
    The thumping you hear is the shutter (like when you blink your eyelid) over the bulb moving up off the bulb for Hi beam and back down half-way over the bulb for low beam.
    These bulbs don't have a hi and low wattage like the filament bulbs.
    Nothing to worry about.
    Andy1 Calgary
    Thank you 4 reassuring me... Excellent explanation...

I had thought thats what it was but I didn't wanna be wrong cause I had heard that those bulbs were just 1 setting. Beats the older models when you had a low beam and a high beam. Had a 98 and 01 deville. Just sucks how expensive these bulbs are though.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCountry View Post

Just sucks how expensive these bulbs are though.

Yes it does, but they sure do have good lights.
    Much better than the old sealed beams.

Jim

Very true

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

We do see problems like this with the "bulb". (arc tube)
    If I see one shutting off I replace the bulb and I haven't heard many complaints after that.

The HID light uses only one bulb. Older halogen systems had 2 separate bulbs. The knock noise when you hit the high beams is a mechanical door flipping up to expose more of the light beam. If you pull up to a wall in the dark you can see it as it changes position. Once the lights are struck they stay on and the flippers flip up or down whether you want high or low beams.

Yes they are a genuine PITA to change.

Well I tackled my lights today...every last one of them....very fun...I did it in the Autozone parking lot too cause for some reason I keep misplacing a tool or 2 so they were cool with me doing it there plus I had the wrong lights for my parking lights..at Autozone they show up the same code as the turning signals so I replaced those anyways...did a lot of work in 2 days..put in the third brake light yesterday and installed my indash screen that I've had for like a yr now....next now I have to look for some nice Vogue tires to get put on

ranshawb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): dts

I have had the problem with the passenger light going out. It appears a better fix might be to replace the bulbs and ballast with a xexon system. About the same price as bulbs from what I read on the forum. Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.