09 Nav Disk Update - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 09 Nav Disk Update in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MrZoSo I got my 07 DTS last week. Has an old Nav disk in it. 2.0 I ...
    twods is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 DTS II Green Silk

Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

Quote Originally Posted by MrZoSo View Post
    I got my 07 DTS last week. Has an old Nav disk in it. 2.0 I think?
    I Just called the GM nav center, gave my Vin #, and without another word, they are shipping my a 2010 disk compt. Now that's a nice welcome!
    Welcome to form
    I purchasd my DTS II Green Silk Jan 10 2010 and I also was able to get free 5.0 disk.

ken615 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Much to my amazement, I got a call from Cadillac customer service today regarding my complaint about the accuracy of the nav system. They (the nav team) stated that the GPS and nav systems are in fact calibrated with each other and that my dealer can recalibrate the systems to improve the accuracy. May have been a dream story to get me to close the complaint, but I'm going to contact the dealer and see what they say. It will probably be a week or so before I take it in, but I'll pass along what happens.

On a second, minor problem with the headlight assembly. I notice that the interior shield above the driving lights is actually "melting". The passenger side has melted thru and the driver's side is doing the same, although not as bad. I seem to remember reading something on this forum about this problem, but now I can't find it. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks for any input.

Ken.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Dealers recalibrating the Nav system? Dream on. They will probably give you that "What kind of lunacy is this?" just before telling you that they don't what you are talking about. Or, they might say OK and then take your car and return it without having done anything. Anything to keep the customer happy, you know.

Incredibly the dealer readily admitted that there IS a set procedure to manually recalibrate the nav system to the GPS. I haven't taken it in yet, but I'll let you know what happens. Since my system announces that I've arrived at my destination approximately .2 miles before I get there, recalibration, or something, is definitely in order. Other than not knowing exactly where the car is relative to the final destination, it works as advertized.

MrZoSo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

I loaded the 5.0 today and the only difference I see from the old one I had is the digital clock. When I picked my car up from service today, I told them I had a new disk for the nav. I was told...You saved 400 bux getting it.
    Huh? No one behind the counter could answer why. Anywho, i will live with it as is. I am afraid the dealer will throw a hissy if asked to recalibrate.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by ken615 View Post
    Incredibly the dealer readily admitted that there IS a set procedure to manually recalibrate the nav system to the GPS. I haven't taken it in yet, but I'll let you know what happens. Since my system announces that I've arrived at my destination approximately .2 miles before I get there, recalibration, or something, is definitely in order. Other than not knowing exactly where the car is relative to the final destination, it works as advertized.

If you don't mind...when You have yours re-calibrated...please ask if there is a TSB number or how would another dealer find the information to recalibrate?

Mine is about 100 feet "OFF" .... it shows the car actually "BEHIND" of where the car really is.
    You can drive "PAST" the street..."THEN" it tells you..."TURN NOW"...

Texas Jim

I will certainly do that. The dealer mumbled something about having to disconnect the battery, do something with onstar, and then they can recalibrate. When I get it done, I'll take notes and pass along to everyone. Hopefully, I'll finally get my license plates next week and schedule a visit to the dealer for inspections, etc. I'll have it done then. They made it sound like a fairly simple process to recalibrate. I certainly hope so.

Ken.

Southern is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird

Back about 10 years ago, I borrowed a buddys Range Rover for a month while we vacationed in California.. I thought he had never used the Nav....because it was so far off......about 200/300 yards. So I took it by the dealer. Turns out he had assumed they were all like that and i had assumed it was broken.
    We were both wrong.
    Believe it or not, they stopped what they were doing and "calibrated" the GPS to the NAV........ they took it out to a field they said, and proceeded to go through some procedure using just the knobs and things on the radio.......took them maybe 20/30 minutes and he was back and the unit was MUCH better.
    Accurate to maybe 20/50 Yards. There was no charge. The car was in warranty.And this was years ago. 2002 if I remember correct.
    It was a very,very nice vacation. We went everywhere in Calif. Put on maybe 2000 miles! Yes, I told Jeff what we were going to do....It was all good with him!

But I have never heard of calibrating a system since then.
    BTW, my Garmin,with WAAS enabled is accurate to about 3 yards.
    It is very likely that the Cadillac OEM is not WAAS enabled, but still "should" be accurate to less than 15 Yards according to Garmin.

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

I finally received my copy of version 5.0c yesterday. I installed it and it did not perform any firmware updates to my nav system. I was previously running 4.1c.

I haven't driven the car with the new disc but have played with the maps a little. So far I see no change over version 4.1c with the possible exception to marginally improved coverage. There are no new features that I could find and the graphics and the funny routings appear all the same.

So, if your running 4.1c, save your money. If you're running an older version, then by all means buy 5.0c.

I'll post again once I've had some on the road time.

Okay. I've been driving around with 5.0c for the past couple of days and here's my comments:

Save your money and stick with 4.1c.

The only advantage that I could find to 5.0c was more current roads.

I found many disadvantages:

The graphics seem harder to read. Maybe my eyes are weaker, but many times I found the font to be hard to read at a quick glance.

The points of interest do not seem to be updated for the items that I searched.

I also tried to find a listing of animal hospitals or veterinarians - but I could not. I had no such problem with 4.1c.

Like 4.1c, 5.0c also sent my on goofy round about routings that make little sense to someone who knows the roadways.

Anyone else running 5.0c?

Tomko,

Thank you for your report on 5.0c.

It is appreciated.
    Based on your report...I think for now I will just stay with 4.1c.

Thanks again,

Jim

The latest on the nav system "recalibration". I've talked to customer service a couple of times, a member of the Cadillac nav team a couple of times (who thankfully keep calling back to offer suggestions and want to know how it all works out), and 2 different dealers. I've also tried 2 different recalibation efforts recommended by the nav team and one of the dealers: 1. The nav team said I should remove the nav disk and let the car sit for a while, then reinstall. 2. The dealer nav system "guru" recommended disconnecting the battery for approximately an hour to let the electronics clear and then restart everything.

I've done both with no appreciable improvement. The system is very accurate on intersections, streets, etc., but still shows me at home well before I get here. Since I've tried 2 different nav disks (a 3.3 and a 4.1C) with the same results, I guess I and all of you will just have to live with the current system. It'll certainly get us across the country and close to where we want to go.

Too bad because everything else in the car (06 DTS Lux III) works wonderfully. A great ride, lots of power, and all the toys. If anything changes I'll certainly post any new results.

I just drove to and around Montreal yesterday on 5.0c, and while I was genuinely happy to have it, it was most certainly not all that it could be.

Here's hoping that next year will bring an even better version.

Quote Originally Posted by ken615 View Post

I've done both with no appreciable improvement. The system is very accurate on intersections, streets, etc., but still shows me at home well before I get here. Since I've tried 2 different nav disks (a 3.3 and a 4.1C) with the same results, I guess I and all of you will just have to live with the current system. It'll certainly get us across the country and close to where we want to go.

Too bad because everything else in the car (06 DTS Lux III) works wonderfully. A great ride, lots of power, and all the toys. If anything changes I'll certainly post any new results.

Mine is also slightly off for my home.
    To help it out... I parked in my driveway and added myself to the address book.

We take a lot of road trips to unfamiliar areas... get off the main roads and just "DRIVE AROUND" looking at stuff for hours at a time...
    Now... no matter where I am... even if I don't have a clue...it will get me out and back to where I know whats going on.

Texas Jim

Ronald Brown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

I have a late 06 DTS Performance car, will the new 09 nav disk work in it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ron in upstate NY

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.