09 Nav Disk Update - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 93
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 09 Nav Disk Update in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; on the 2009 DTS the Audio/Nav system has a soft button option across the top called Traffic; when you touch ...
  1. #16
    Rantz_alot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    37

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    on the 2009 DTS the Audio/Nav system has a soft button option across the top called Traffic; when you touch that it downloads real-time traffic data pointing out any issues in your area, based on the selection you set on what types of things you want to be advised about.

    the Nav feature will also show you additional icons on the nav map of where events are what type of event. Then roadways on your areas (the major highways and freeeways) will be outlined on the border with a green, yellow, red line (each direction) giving you a look ahead of what the road conditions are. I like this system alot so if I see problems a few miles ahead and then I can adjust my route. Nav will also auto remap your route to bypass an event if you select that feature.

    The hard button layouts around the left and right side fo the radio are the same, just that you have a soft button slector on the top panel of the touch screen. It is an additional subscription service. My understanding it is that NavTraffic is a new feature introduced in 2009 (that also means not all the bugs have been worked yet)

    hope that helps.

  2. #17
    Tomko's Avatar
    Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa - Canada
    Posts
    257

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Although it's not currently listed on the GM Nav Disc Center site, I've been told that version 4.0 p/n 25974486 has been replaced by version 4.1 p/n 20857425. I have no idea what the reason was for the change, but I ordered one and will report back on its performance once it's installed.

    I'm currently using version 3.0 p/n 25850927 and it does have the digital clock feature.

  3. #18
    fmoeller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    Although it's not currently listed on the GM Nav Disc Center site, I've been told that version 4.0 p/n 25974486 has been replaced by version 4.1 p/n 20857425. I have no idea what the reason was for the change, but I ordered one and will report back on its performance once it's installed.

    I'm currently using version 3.0 p/n 25850927 and it does have the digital clock feature.
    You mentioned that you currently use Version 3.0 and that your system DOES have the digital clock feature. I put my disc Version 3.0 and then 3.1 in this morning to see what I was missing. I tried everything I could think of and I still do NOT have a digital clock. It was my understanding that Version 4.0 and up included the clock, according to the GM NAV center.

    What did you do to get the clock to display?

    Thanks.

  4. #19
    Tomko's Avatar
    Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa - Canada
    Posts
    257

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by fmoeller View Post
    You mentioned that you currently use Version 3.0 and that your system DOES have the digital clock feature. I put my disc Version 3.0 and then 3.1 in this morning to see what I was missing. I tried everything I could think of and I still do NOT have a digital clock. It was my understanding that Version 4.0 and up included the clock, according to the GM NAV center.

    What did you do to get the clock to display?

    Thanks.
    I honestly don't remember doing anything in particular to get the clock. I only remember setting it for 24:00 format time.

    My car is a 2008 and it could be that the clock was already in the firmware of the nav unit, and in that way not necessarily dependent on the 3.0 disc. It is possible that the firmware update to bring this feature to 2007 and prior models only came on the 4.0 disc.

    Incidentally, I bought my 4.1 disc from an ebay seller in Texas named magaly_littlesteps. This transaction has not gone smoothly at all. I've been on ebay for over ten years and made well over 100 transactions in that time. This one is a candidate for the worst. Four days after paying and then agreeing in good faith to pay even more than originally requested for shipping - plus several e-mail exchanges - I still don't have a tracking number that the USPS website recognizes.

    I remain hopeful that things will work out, but in the meantime would like to caution other members to steer clear of this seller until I can confirm a positive conclusion to my purchase.

  5. #20
    fmoeller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    I honestly don't remember doing anything in particular to get the clock. I only remember setting it for 24:00 format time.

    My car is a 2008 and it could be that the clock was already in the firmware of the nav unit, and in that way not necessarily dependent on the 3.0 disc. It is possible that the firmware update to bring this feature to 2007 and prior models only came on the 4.0 disc.

    Incidentally, I bought my 4.1 disc from an ebay seller in Texas named magaly_littlesteps. This transaction has not gone smoothly at all. I've been on ebay for over ten years and made well over 100 transactions in that time. This one is a candidate for the worst. Four days after paying and then agreeing in good faith to pay even more than originally requested for shipping - plus several e-mail exchanges - I still don't have a tracking number that the USPS website recognizes.

    I remain hopeful that things will work out, but in the meantime would like to caution other members to steer clear of this seller until I can confirm a positive conclusion to my purchase.
    Ah yes! I did not catch that yours is a 2008 model. Being in the software/firmware business I should have spotted that. Thank you for the response and especially for the heads up on your purchase problems. I sincerely hope that it all works out in your favor.

    I will not be upgrading to Version 4.1 as I only need the clock on trips and at night. I cannot read the analog clock on my 2006 at night and only if it is not sunny during the day.

    I do not leave the disc in unless I am going to use the NAV system as there is a lot of disc head activity going on even when not in use causing unnecessary wear.

    If I have the system on, stop, turn off the engine, remove the key, and open the door there is still disc activity. Also, leaving it in during hot weather while parked out side in the sun can cause warping of the disc.

    Thanks again.

  6. #21
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,434

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by fmoeller View Post

    I do not leave the disc in unless I am going to use the NAV system as there is a lot of disc head activity going on even when not in use causing unnecessary wear.

    If I have the system on, stop, turn off the engine, remove the key, and open the door there is still disc activity. Also, leaving it in during hot weather while parked out side in the sun can cause warping of the disc.

    Thanks again.

    This is just my opinion and experience...
    I am NOT advising or trying to tell anyone else what to do.

    I have had a disk in my nav system since day 1.
    Been well over three years now.
    I am in Texas where summer temps are well over 100 degrees every day.
    I have never had an issue with warping or excessive wear. At least not yet.
    I did notice, a few weeks ago, when I FINALLY got V4 and removed V 3, the DVD was pretty dusty. I will be taking it out every few months but just to clean it.

    I would be a lot more worried about it getting damaged or scratched with the constant removal and reinsertion of the disk.

    Texas Jim

  7. #22
    Tomko's Avatar
    Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa - Canada
    Posts
    257

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    Incidentally, I bought my 4.1 disc from an ebay seller in Texas named magaly_littlesteps. This transaction has not gone smoothly at all. I've been on ebay for over ten years and made well over 100 transactions in that time. This one is a candidate for the worst. Four days after paying and then agreeing in good faith to pay even more than originally requested for shipping - plus several e-mail exchanges - I still don't have a tracking number that the USPS website recognizes.

    I remain hopeful that things will work out, but in the meantime would like to caution other members to steer clear of this seller until I can confirm a positive conclusion to my purchase.
    Just a quick update on this one...

    I received the correct tracking number this morning and this ebay transaction now looks like it's back on track.

    I'll update y'all again once I've received the 4.1 disc and had a chance to test it out.

  8. #23
    fmoeller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    This is just my opinion and experience...
    I am NOT advising or trying to tell anyone else what to do.

    I have had a disk in my nav system since day 1.
    Been well over three years now.
    I am in Texas where summer temps are well over 100 degrees every day.
    I have never had an issue with warping or excessive wear. At least not yet.
    I did notice, a few weeks ago, when I FINALLY got V4 and removed V 3, the DVD was pretty dusty. I will be taking it out every few months but just to clean it.

    I would be a lot more worried about it getting damaged or scratched with the constant removal and reinsertion of the disk.

    Texas Jim
    Hey Jim,

    My main concern with leaving the disc in is that the system continues to run (disc access) after the car has been turned off and lockedup. I am not sure for how long it continues; maybe it shuts completely off after it finds what it is looking for. This may have been part of the problem with those folks experiencing battery drain. The excessive wear I referred to was for the head, not the disc.

    When I purchased the car the salesman did say to leave it in. Another reason that I take it out is that it is a DVD and with DVD movies it is recommended that they be stored in their case, not the DVD player. Minor scratches on a DVD will not normally affect playback as long as the read head is clean, they are very durable.

    I don’t know if they make a head cleaner for the NAV system, but the one I have for cleaning my DVD player’s head cannot be used in the NAV system. With the dust that you mentioned, you may want to check this out. I haven’t noticed dust on mine, but then I only use it if I am going on a trip.

    Other than a few minor quirks I really like the car and the performance.

    Best of luck.

  9. #24
    Tomko's Avatar
    Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa - Canada
    Posts
    257

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    Just a quick update on this one...

    I received the correct tracking number this morning and this ebay transaction now looks like it's back on track.

    I'll update y'all again once I've received the 4.1 disc and had a chance to test it out.
    This evening I received the disc. It's labeled as version 4.1c p/n 20857425. It took about five minutes to load the new software into my head unit. I've just been able to play with it in my garage, and noticed that the map has thankfully been updated for my neighborhood. I'll let you know about anything else significant that I notice after I take it on the road.

  10. #25
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,434

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by fmoeller View Post
    Hey Jim,

    My main concern with leaving the disc in is that the system continues to run (disc access) after the car has been turned off and lockedup. I am not sure for how long it continues; maybe it shuts completely off after it finds what it is looking for. This may have been part of the problem with those folks experiencing battery drain. The excessive wear I referred to was for the head, not the disc.

    When I purchased the car the salesman did say to leave it in. Another reason that I take it out is that it is a DVD and with DVD movies it is recommended that they be stored in their case, not the DVD player. Minor scratches on a DVD will not normally affect playback as long as the read head is clean, they are very durable.

    I don’t know if they make a head cleaner for the NAV system, but the one I have for cleaning my DVD player’s head cannot be used in the NAV system. With the dust that you mentioned, you may want to check this out. I haven’t noticed dust on mine, but then I only use it if I am going on a trip.

    Other than a few minor quirks I really like the car and the performance.

    Best of luck.

    I understand your concern for the disk and especially the head wear of the nav unit itself. (I am in the computer business)
    The DVD disk is not cheap if it needed to be replaced. The head unit would be an even bigger expense, which I also understand.

    But I just kinda figured it was DESIGNED for the disk to always be in there so that it is available ANYTIME you want to use it.
    I like mine always in, so all I have to do is hit the NAV button...anytime I want to...and THERE IT IS.

    But that is why there is an EJECT button...so that we each can use it the way we see fit.

    As for it running after the key is off...after 10 minutes, the RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER cuts it off...along with everything else.
    I too was concerned with it running after the car was shut off. I sat in the car one evening..just to see if and when it would turn off.

    I don't know of a head cleaner for it and I would be careful of using one if I found one. Some of them are ABRASIVE and will actually CAUSE premature wear if used too often.

    As far as the car itself...I really really like it. That is, except for the road noise.
    I have over 60,000 on it and put over 40,000 on my other 2006 Performance Sedan.

    Texas Jim

  11. #26
    Tomko's Avatar
    Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa - Canada
    Posts
    257

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Okay, so I've driven around today using version 4.1. When compared to version 3.0 the first thing I notice is that it has much more accurate mapping for the parts of my city that were constructed in the last five years or so. The same thing goes for points of interest. There is also a change in the icon that labels my local highways. In one sense it's clearer - but in another sense it's less so.

    The big change that will be of interest to you all is the clear identification of which of a series of turning lanes is the correct one to be in to continue onto your destination. This was first mentioned by Superjim and I must say that it is a worthy change to have if you are ever driving on one highway and making a change onto another intersecting highway, or taking off-ramps with multiple points of egress.

    So far I've noticed no other changes, but the disc is worth the money to me.

  12. #27
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,434

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    Okay, so I've driven around today using version 4.1. When compared to version 3.0 the first thing I notice is that it has much more accurate mapping for the parts of my city that were constructed in the last five years or so. The same thing goes for points of interest. There is also a change in the icon that labels my local highways. In one sense it's clearer - but in another sense it's less so.

    The big change that will be of interest to you all is the clear identification of which of a series of turning lanes is the correct one to be in to continue onto your destination. This was first mentioned by Superjim and I must say that it is a worthy change to have if you are ever driving on one highway and making a change onto another intersecting highway, or taking off-ramps with multiple points of egress.

    So far I've noticed no other changes, but the disc is worth the money to me.

    Tomko,

    Thanks for the update on the new NAV disc.
    Glad you got your difficulties worked out with the seller and that you like the new one.

    Like you..I really like how it shows you what lane to be in when coming to an intersection.

    We made a 3000 mile trip a couple of weeks ago. It came in real handy.

    Texas jim

  13. #28
    Tomko's Avatar
    Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa - Canada
    Posts
    257

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    I spent all day Saturday driving around with version 4.1 and I must say that I'm completely satisfied with it. For me, coming from version 3.0, it was money well spent.

  14. #29
    Bigjohn432 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Just received my new disk and Iam very pleased, love the clock, but haven't figured out how to turn the annoying interstate exit box off. Any one than can help with how to turn it off I would really appreciate it as there were no instructions covering new features included in the booklet. Thanks

  15. #30
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,434

    Re: 09 Nav Disk Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn432 View Post
    Just received my new disk and Iam very pleased, love the clock, but haven't figured out how to turn the annoying interstate exit box off. Any one than can help with how to turn it off I would really appreciate it as there were no instructions covering new features included in the booklet. Thanks
    there is a LITTLE BITTY minus symbol there on the left side of the interstate exit box. Touch it and the box goes away.

    Texas Jim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting