Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Installing a garage door opener in DTS I (none installed)

18K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  tedcmiller 
#1 ·
Anyone know how much is involved in installing a factory GDO in a 2008 DTS I that did not have one installed off the floor?
The 04 took about 2 min to remove it came from factory, but the 08 is not the same and was told it would take about an hour and a half to install.
Does the 08 not have the wiring installed up to the overhead console - at almost $300 for the opener, another couple hundred for dealer labor is not very likely. I'm sure I can do it, just would like to have an idea what's involved.
Thanks, Al

#2 ·
Re: Installing a garage door opener in DTS I (none installed

Couldn't figure out how to edit so I'll just reply to myself.
Owner's manual calls the GDO a "Universal Home Remote System" if the garage door opener wasn't recognized.
Thanks.

#3 ·

Job complete - I didn't do it. Apparently not too difficult done, while the body shop was correcting rear door handles that were hard to operate -wouldn't open doors (adjusted outside door handle linkage per a service bulletin for 07-08 DTS).

#4 ·

Do you have any details as to what was done to install it and make it work?
From your comment...I assume the wiring harness was already there.

Please post any details that you have...maybe help someone else out that needs/wants to do the same thing.

Texas Jim

#5 ·

Have to take down the center over head console with the map lights and fish out the harness (apparently that was the hardest part along with the fact that there is no working room inside the recess). The unit retails for about $400 and looks a lot like the one I took out of the 04 except that the interior color is on the face of the unit and it has 3 LED's, one below each button. It doesn't work or program the same way as the last one. It also ahs a separate bezel that goes over the buttons that has to match the interior. The unit is mounted with two small screws to something in the recess, where the 04 just slid into the recessand probably was held by the friction of flat tab with the electrical contacts and a small plastic tab at the front.
I have a copy of the door handle service bulletin and can start another thread with it if you like.
Hope this helps.
Al

#6 ·
My wife's 2008 DTS has the built-in garage door opener. When I tried to program it with the remote unit that worked the opener (and I had also used to program to opener in a 2004 DTS, 2004 CTS-V, and 2005 CTS-V) it would not work. A call to the manufacturer of the opener (Lear) indicated that the Universal Home Remote System would not work with older garage door openers due to a frequency change. They sent me a new receiver that attaches to the same terminals as the push buttons for free. It worked fine.

#7 ·
Just programmed a button for my father in law's GDO (rolling code) - it took 3 round trips to GDO operator and back to car to get it programmed. Must be timing out before the code match is reached but it finally took. Could not hold hand held remote up to car GDO as in earlier models. Had to follow instructions in 2008 owner's manual.
My previous code entry with the manual dip switch/button position for my home door opener was probably a combination of my fault and a timing situation to get the operations done properly, but I did get it done using 2008 owner's manual.

#9 ·
just programmed a button for my father in law's gdo (rolling code) - it took 3 round trips to gdo operator and back to car to get it programmed. Must be timing out before the code match is reached but it finally took. Could not hold hand held remote up to car gdo as in earlier models. Had to follow instructions in 2008 owner's manual.
My previous code entry with the manual dip switch/button position for my home door opener was probably a combination of my fault and a timing situation to get the operations done properly, but i did get it done using 2008 owner's manual.

#11 ·
If memory serves me--been a year--there are two types of openers: The newer ones have rotating codes and I believe you can program the car using the remote. For older openers that don't have rotating codes you have to program the car manually (read the switches inside the remote and then duplicate the settings using the car's three switches on the overhead panel). The car's manual is pretty clear on how to do it, especially so if you read it carefully the first time (which I didn't.....).

#14 ·
I bought a 2006 a few months back with no remote, couldn't believe it didnt have one. Found one on EBAY for $40!!! It was a bit tricky to put in, but i had one to look at. It can be done, I recommend getting the replacement 1st. You have to stick a screwdriver at the edge of each corner between the roofing material and the edge of the plastic to release the locking plastic clips...Again, you would be totally guessing where to jam the screwdriver without the new one your lap. There is one extra connector to hook up with the remote version and it IS part of the wiring harness, at least on the 2006....

#15 ·
Thanks to whomever started this thread. It was of some help, along with my factory service manual. My problem was I pushed too hard on my remote control door opener button and popped something loose inside the overhead console. It was a bugger to get off. However, the tip I will pass along is if you have a sunroof, open it all the way back. Push your seat all the way back and move your steering wheel up. Now kneel up on the drivers side seat and stick your head through the sunroof facing forward. Look down towards the front lip of the overhead console and you will see the backside of the 2 front metal clips in the gap between the metal roof and the headliner. Use a slotted screwdriver to push the metal clip portion downward. They are easy to see and get at using this method. Once the front 2 clips are free you'll need to release the back 2. Those you cannot see from the top so you'll need to reach up under the front edge of the headliner until you can feel each clip. Push hard inward on the clip while pulling down on the corner of the overhead console and it will pop down. Do the other corner. I did not need to remove the overhead console anymore than that to pop the GDO down and back in place. But, if you need to, be forewarned that there does not appear to be much slack in the cabling. I don't know how they assembled it in the factory. Just a heads up.

My advice, don't push too hard on those GDO buttons and avoid the hassle I just went through.

DTSdude

#16 ·
The older DTSs (2004 DTS for sure) can be programmed from the existing remote. Some time after 2004 (at least by 2008) the built-in GDO remote could no longer be programmed from the existing remote. If the GDO is old enough to not use rolling codes, the car has to be programmed to the same switch settings as in the existing remote. However, it is also possible that the GDO could be so old it uses a different frequency than the car, and the car cannot be programmed at all to work with the the GDO. In that case, you need to get the adapter I got (see post #7 of this thread) to make it work.

Just for informational purposes, I have always been able to program the car from the existing remote on all my CTSs. This includes three models from 2004 to 2009. Newer DTSs apparently use different built-in GDOs than CTSs .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.