How old are YOU? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: How old are you?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40 or younger

82 36.94%
  • 41-60

87 39.19%
  • 61 or older

53 23.87%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How old are YOU? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I bought a 99 Miata new. Loved it with one exception. But they had a bunch of bad engines (Yes ...
    Southern is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird

Re: How old are YOU?

I bought a 99 Miata new. Loved it with one exception. But they had a bunch of bad engines (Yes it was a japanese car with bad engines.....funny how you never hear about those......) anyway, the problem showed up after about 20,000 miles, which for most would have been well inside the 36,000 mile 3 year warranty.
    But I only put about 5000 miles/year on the car. Which meant that IF I was going to have the problem (Crank machined improperly. Result, total annihilation of the engine....generally at speed), it would be out of warranty.
    I wanted an extended Time warranty against just this one possibility.
    They wouldn't do it.
    I walked away from mazda, never to return.
    I sold the Miata and the next owner had to pay over $4000 for a new engine 2 years later.....

And the exception? It was the worst car on te freewayI ever owned.
    The transmission was designed stupidly iMO.
    Instead of using the 5th gear as an overdrive, it was just another gear attached to a high numerical rear end.
    So the thing just roared down the road at over 3000 RPM at 75MPH.

I love the DTS loafing at 2000 RPM on the fastest Interstates (Not counting the 2 80MPH speed limit sections in Texas!)

That Paint job sounds great!
    And white is the BEST color for Phoenix.

I lived in Scottsdale for a while back in the 70s. Boy would a remote start have helped back then.
    95 degrees in June? You are so lucky! 95 degrees in Phoenix is downright comfortable!

Read about the extended GMPP warranties on here.
    I am seriously considering getting one......

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Daniel,

Glad you are liking your new car.

The color you describe is known as White Lightning. Same as mine.
    I love that color. It is not real common, and for a change, the salesman was telling you the truth. It "WAS" a $1000 option.

You may be pleasantly surprised at the gas mileage of the DTS Lux lll. At a good cruising speed on the highway, you will probably get 24 to 25 out of it. Maybe a bit more or a bit less, depending on your driving habits and cruising
    speed.

Mine is the Performance Model, and it is geared lower then the LUX models, so therefore turns more RPM at any given speed. (and gets less fuel mileage) Plus I have a slightly heavy foot, which don't help gas mileage any.

You will love the DTS when you go to Santa Fe. That is an easy trip for it.

Unless you have a CERTIFIED PRE OWNED...do as Southern said and read and think about putting an extended warranty on it. Make your own decision of course, but remember that there is a LOT of electronic stuff that will be expensive to repair if anything goes wrong.

Texas Jim

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

My wife had a 92 Miata, and it was a fun around-town and weekend car. In defense of them, 99 was the only year with the nasty engine problem Southern described.

As for freeway driving, my then-girlfriend and I visited my dad in Palm Springs in the winter of 94. She had been starting to look for a used Miata, but was only finding red ones, mainly automatics, in Michigan. She ended up buying a white 5-speed in Palm Springs and our first road trip was driving it back to Michigan. Luckily, we had no snow or ice all the way home. I bought a set of winter tires and wheels for that car and, with some weight in the trunk and a hardtop, it handled Michigan winters with no problem.

marsalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Lux III

Hi Jim and C5,

My Miata was a 2001 that I bought new right after 9/11 when no one was selling any cars and there were great deals, rebates and 0% financing. It was my first new car. Prior to that I had an '89 BMW 325 that I bought with 70k on the odometer back in '98 after my 87 Porsche 944's engine blew sending a connecting rod through the oil pan onto West Esplanade Ave. To fill my open air needs after I bought the 944, I bought a Ducati 900 SuperSport motorcycle that I loved, but after getting the Miata, I hardly rode the Ducati anymore. With the Miata no helmet needed, nice stereo, and could smoke a pipe or cigar in it no problem.

Hurricane Katrina filled my house and garage with six feet of water in August of 2005 drowning my just paid off Miata and Ducati. About a month later I moved out here to Phoenix where got the S2000 and met my wife about a week later.

I really loved the Miata and you're right about the 5th gear just being another regular gear, and not an overdrive gear. You'd be buzzing along at 75mph with loud engine noise. But if you think that that was bad you should try the Honda S2000. It's tagline is that it's like a four wheeled motorcycle. It's engine is very much like a cycle engine. It is designed to rev to 9000 rpm and generates it torque peak and hp peak around 7000 rpm. With the powerband that high up the car is geared so that it is up high in the rev department. Cruising at 75mph in sixth gear has the engine revving over 4000 rpm. No overdrive here. Just close ratio spacing. Fun on a closed course if you can find one but shear torture on any highway trip over 45 minutes. Honestly, I never connected with the S2000 like I did the Miata, even though on paper I should've dug the S2000 more, much more power, better handling...

On the other hand I don't think that I've connected so well with a car as well as I have with the Cadillac DTS, with the exception of my first car, a 1980 white Fiat Spider with blue vinyl interior and wooden dash. When looking at the Cadillacs, I was more drawn to the 2000-2005 exterior styling. But the DTS' interior simply blows away the earlier version's interior. What pushed me over the edge though for the DTS was that I could get one CPO. I read about the widow regulator problems with the older models and the head gasket issues, and I know that they are expensive to work on so I really wanted the warranty plus with all of the electronic features I figured it'd be best to have the warranty.

The exterior of the DTS has grown on me and I love it. It does look more elegant and a lot more aggressive than the 2000-2005 Devilles. I really can't wait to start putting it through it's paces on proper road trips. As far as mileage goes I'm getting around 20 to 21 in mixed freeway/arterial driving on my 20 mile commute. Actually, it is about what I was getting with the four cylindered Honda S2000.

The Lightning White must be rare around here because I see many gold and grey and brown metallic DTS's and Devilles. Seems like about 90% of the ones I checked out were either metallic gold, bronze or brown. But white out here certainly keeps the car cooler. With about 350 days of clear sunny skies per year, it makes a big difference. I think that my S2000's a/c couldn't keep up with the heat, lack of insulation, and the black top soaking up the sun's heat. That car could never cool down, like the DTS can do and actually go into low fan mode on the a/c like the DTS.

TX Jim, thanks for the tip about the remote start. I used it twice today with the family. We went to the deli for breakfast and then again at the grocery. The car cooled down while I changed little Giancarlo's diaper in the trunk, it's nice o have such a big trunk. And then I had it start cooling down when we were in line at the grocery check out. It really is a nice feature that I hadn't tried out. I need to start reading the manual to pick up the rest...

Do you know of any other tips or cool features?

Ciao,
    Daniel

aspin42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

texas jim
    where do you get the
    3-mplastic covering????
    is it pre cut.
    thanks
    aspin

Quote Originally Posted by aspin42 View Post
    texas jim
    where do you get the
    3-mplastic covering????
    is it pre cut.
    thanks
    aspin

I went to the 3-M website and found an installer here in my area.
    I let the professional do it...took him about 3 hours.
    He was real careful and very precise as I was watching and talking to him as he worked. He did a very good job.

Texas Jim

Quote Originally Posted by marsalone View Post
    Hi Jim and C5,

Honestly, I never connected with the S2000 like I did the Miata,

On the other hand I don't think that I've connected so well with a car as well as I have with the Cadillac DTS, with the exception of my first car, a 1980 white Fiat Spider with blue vinyl interior and wooden dash.

What pushed me over the edge though for the DTS was that I could get one CPO.

The Lightning White must be rare around here because I see many gold and grey and brown metallic DTS's and Devilles.

TX Jim, thanks for the tip about the remote start.
    Do you know of any other tips or cool features?

Ciao,
    Daniel
    Glad you are liking the DTS and it was a wise move to get it CPO.
    It seems like the White Lightning Tri Coat is a fairly rare color...compared to the other colors.

The handling and road holding of the DTS will surprise you.
    It is actually pretty good for a front wheel drive, almost two and half ton car.
    Tire pressure makes a pretty big difference in the handling dept also. 30PSI. as recommended, will give you a good soft ride and fair handling. Increase it to 34 PSI and there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the road holding ability of it.

There are numerous things you can set and adjust to your liking in the DIC.
    That stands for ... "Dash Information Center."

You can set how the lights turn on (or not) when you approach the car and use the remote to unlock it.
    You can set how they come on (or not) when you turn it off and remove the key. They will only turn on if it is dark... the car uses the automatic headlight sensor to determine if they should turn on when you unlock it.

You can monitor the pressure in each of the four tires.
    You can set the seats to go to your preferred driving position when you unlock with the remote. There are two programmable positions...1 for remote number 1...and another for remote number 2 plus the button for easy exit, which raises the steering wheel and moves the seat back.
    You can monitor your INSTANT MPG...your AVERAGE MPG...miles to empty... gallons used...etc etc etc. It even has a timer that only runs when the engine is running to measure your driving time.

You should have 3 free months of XM, since you bought a CPO and I think, one year of OnStar. I personally love the OnStar. I use it quite often.

If you want to keep the XM radio...cheap...for just 77 bucks a year...call them and tell them you got a postcard in the mail with the code "ZWINBACK" on it and wanting you to call and renew.

You will need your radio ID number... tune to Channel "!" and it will display your radio ID.

Thats all I can think of right now...just off the top of my head.

Later,
    Texas Jim

richardson42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

Im 24 and I just picked up my second DTS. 06 Performance this time vice the lemon of 00 I owned previously. No matter how much my friends make fun of my "old guy" car, they always want me to drive for a reason.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    There are numerous things you can set and adjust to your liking in the DIC.
    That stands for ... "Dash Information Center."
    I believe it is Driver Information Center.

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    I believe it is Driver Information Center.

I knew that.
    Don't know why I wrote what I did...maybe late night and too much coffee.

Jim

pearsonz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Hey, I like this Thread. I am 44, middle class with expensive tastes, a decent wallet, but certainly not loaded. I laugh at my friends who by BMW's new for 4X and used for 2X what I paid for the 2006 DTS Certified Used. Real Room and that Luxury feel but with simlpicity!
    HartfordGuy and HartfordGuy like this.

mrlacy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville, 06 DTS Performance

i am a 23 yr old application developer that drives an 06 performance

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

I'd like to see more selections on this survey. 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, etc etc.

I am 44 and have always liked luxury cars. I bought a 1980 Sedan Deville when I was 20 years old (in 1986) and also a 1980 Eldorado a year later. Sports cars are nice, but I like a quiet, comfortable car that can turn heads.

I now have a 2007 DTS. I have rented a new CTS and love the edgy styling, but I prefer a larger car for comfort. That plus front wheel drive for my commute. I know the CTS has all-wheel drive available, but the DTS fits all my needs.

I've always said that if you can afford a new or late model Cadillac you should enjoy it while you are young. Too many guys wait until they retire to get one.

G00dlife is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 escalade esv, 2009 DTS Platinum

I've been a member of this site for a short period of time. I'm 58 years young, I've owned a five caddys which includes my 08 Escalade ESV (ultra lux), and my wife's 09 DTS platinum performance (lux III). The cadillac is a very nice automobile with good performance. I'm a little disappointed in some of the features that GM has deleted. I'm hoping that GM will take notice to the to the past and current owners
    and not delete anything else.

G00dlife

drewbacca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac DTS

I've only been a DTS owner for a month now, but I've loved Cadillacs since I was 5 years old. I definitely do not fit into the stereotypical Cadillac driver category - I am 29 and love, love, LOVE my 2009 DTS! I credit my grandma for getting me hooked on Cadillac. Mine is nicer than hers, (she drives a 2006 DTS), but no matter the year or color, the DTS is a timeless classic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.