How old are YOU? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: How old are you?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40 or younger

82 36.94%
  • 41-60

87 39.19%
  • 61 or older

53 23.87%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How old are YOU? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by nosro Just to clarify, although modding is frequently seen as appearance mods, the modding culture in import ...
    mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

Re: How old are YOU?

Quote Originally Posted by nosro View Post
    Just to clarify, although modding is frequently seen as appearance mods, the modding culture in import cars is usually focused on performance mods. These include engine, suspension, and even frame modifications.

Modding is limited to appearance items on the DTS because these aren't performance oriented cars nor cars which are sold to an audience with a performance mindset. I wish such parts were available!

I have attended too many Las Vegas SEMA shows and I must admit that modding, blinging and other tasteful and tasteless after market embellishments and mutations just sort of run together sometimes.

I am familiar with modding in that it is among other things an attempt to extract the last vestige of performance from undersized over revving high wear index engines. The last car I modded in your context was a Turbo T-Bird. I could beat a standard Turbo T-Bird by a couple of lengths in a quarter but it was still a torqueless wonder that lacked the stock launch of my DTS. I could have spent a lot of bucks chasing after the dependable 305 blocked T-Birds of that era.

In the past, when I got the "I need performance urge" I just went out and bought another Corvette. Properly configured it represents off the showroom floor luxury, performance, reasonable technology, appeal and is under warranty.

I might spend a bit for performance mods on a DTS perf Level but going very far is probably trying to teach a pig to sing. I drive it because it is a great long distance touring car and they have managed to extract a level of performance and handling that is far above average.

I also have confidence in its survivability. I was once rear ended and the speed differential was at least 35 MPH. I was on an 8 lane interstate bridge and the sleeping idiot hit me off center. The car lurched and stabilitrack and the handling package allowed me to end up in the original lane going the right way under control. So even thou it may not be a skid pad queen, it is there when you need it.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by mack1a View Post
    [COLOR=black]
    I might spend a bit for performance mods on a DTS perf Level but going very far is probably trying to teach a pig to sing. I drive it because it is a great long distance touring car and they have managed to extract a level of performance and handling that is far above average.

I also have confidence in its survivability. I was once rear ended and the speed differential was at least 35 MPH. I was on an 8 lane interstate bridge and the sleeping idiot hit me off center. The car lurched and stabilitrack and the handling package allowed me to end up in the original lane going the right way under control. So even thou it may not be a skid pad queen, it is there when you need it.

mack1a,

I agree.. it is a great long distance, fairly high performance automobile.
    Especially considering it's size, weight and it is front wheel drive.

The StabiliTrac is outstanding.
    Be up in the mountains .... pushing it a little on the curves... hit a little patch of sand... it starts to get out of shape and off of the line you were on.

Suddenly... but fairly gently... it feels kinda like the hand of GOD came down and put you back on track. It is totally amazing what the StabiliTrac can do.

And as far as long distance touring... it is one of the best cars I have ever had for THAT. Probably THE BEST.

There have been days that I was just trying to get from point A to point B with nothing to do in between, that I have covered 1000 miles a day.

In comfort, fairly relaxed, listening to XM and just rolling across the country.
    There are not many cars that you can do that in.

Texas JIm

DTS_driver08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08' DTS LUX II, 00' DTS

My first car at the age of 16 was a 1994 deville concours, it was champaign and had about 57k on it when i bought it. i had for 3 years then traded it in for a 2000 DTS white diamond with 55k and I currently have the car and has almost 142k on it, thats how much I love driving the DTS. Just recently I purchased a 2008 DTS white diamond LUX II package with 2k on it, car drives like butter, love it, by the way I am 22 years of age.

DTSLOVER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS PERFORMANCE

Talking Re: How old are YOU?

I am 20 years old. I only have owned Cadillac's from my first car my grandfather gave to me, and my last two caddy's 2000 DHS and 2002 DTS. Now I have a 2006 DTS PERFORMANCE EDITION AND I LOVE IT.

aspin42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

over 61

Southern is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird

I am 70.
    Just got my DTS on the last day of September.
    Traded in a 2008 CTS with the DI 304HP engine and all options except AWD.
    It was a great car....but it had a problem.
    With a minimum of 3 gallons of gas in it. it "ran out of gas" in some hills in Pennsylvania.
    GM either would not, or could not, fix it.
    They even told me it could happen again.
    Not me. Whether it's a cadillac or a nissan I require a car to be reliable.
    I don't drive cars that could well leave me stranded in the mountains at night.

So I traded it.
    The dealer was very generous and my car, with 11000 mile on it went to the auction in Tampa.

I love this car.
    So far I have put thin whitewallls on it, chrome window trim pieces, SS wheel arches, chrome door handles, and tinted it with Formula one ceramic 35% all the way around.

DTSIke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Smile Re: How old are YOU?

I am 54, and have ALWAYS favored American Luxury Cars! The primary reasons were, the smooth ride,luxurious appointments,quietness,convenience options and advanced sound systems, and prestige! My first car that I bought with my own money was a Mercury Grand Marquis (at 18 years old!), but my favorite cars (until I bought my 2006 DTS) were a '78 (403 engine!), and '79 Olds Ninety Eight Regency bought at 23 and 24 yrs. old! The Poor Man's Caddy, is what we used to call the Electra 225 (Duece and a Quarter) and Olds 98 Regency models! I have always admired and respected cars that rode smoothly, and quietly, with room to stretch out, and plenty of cool and convenient options! When my Uncle came over with an Olds 98, and it had mirrors that folded down for back-seat riders, and foot-rests, with power windows/locks/and remote control outside Mirrors, it was all over for me! At the time, even though I didn't have my license yet, I knew that I would have one one day! When I turned 18, I started working for Chrysler, but we loved GM's luxury cars the most! I didn't think that I could afford a Cadillac, and it had so much prestige then, that it breaks my heart to see what has happened to the brand! I bought a 1981 Coupe Deville from my Dad, and KNEW that I had to have a newer Caddy of my own! You don't have to be OLD to prefer smoothness over a stiff,European, ride-quality to avoid a little body-lean on occasional curves and twisties! I ride on flat streets and freeways, most of the time! The import-biased Car Magazines, have misled the public into thinking that, going around a curves at the highest speed possible (wasting gas and wearing out your tires prematurely) doesn't even make sense! Nobody can tell ME what to like about my vehicle, that is based on MY preferences! Please GM, keep a V-8 in the DTS/STS replacement, and make it a REAL CADDY,but a modern one that doesn't wallow, yet is smooth,stylish and powerful! I LOVE MY Northstar V-8! Luxury cars need smooth,luxurious delivery of power, not sports-car type acceleration! My DTS has character, and a soul, a Lexus is an over-priced appliance, that gets praised for some of the same attributes that the DTS has! I don't feel ANY INFERIORITY, when I pull up to a Benz'/Lexus/BMW or anything else;the DTS does everything that I want a Luxury car to do!

Well said DTS Ike,

I too, never feel inferior to anyone when I am driving my DTS.
    It is a great car. It is a Cadillac.

The DTS Performance Sedan, is the best long distance touring car I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of good cars in my 64 years.

I recently had it Professionally Tuned, and now it is even better.
    Better transmission shifting, better fuel mileage, more power and it RUNS better than it did.

A win all the way around.

Texas Jim

DTSIke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Wink Re: How old are YOU?

HEY TEXAS JIM, AND FELLOW DTS-LOVERS! I'M WONDERING, JUST WHAT DOES PERFORMANCE TUNING INVOLVE, AND WHO DOES IT? WOW! THAT SOUNDS REALLY COOL! You get more horsepower AND better milage? Does this give you a smoother idle, or does it run smoother at speed? So your car is faster,or quieter,or what? Sorry, I had my Caps lock on! IT IS GOOD TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE FIGHTING TO SAVE THESE GREAT CARS! WHAT GM HAS DONE TO THE BRAND RECENTLY, AND THE CTS, SPECIFICALLY, SHOWS WHAT GM CAN DO, WHEN IT MAKES UP ITS MIND AND IS FOCUSED. I AM A LITTLE EMBARrASSED, SINCE I WORK AT CHRYSLER (THEY TOOK THE DAMN HEMI'S TO MEXICO-I'M FOR Big Three/American-made!), but I have a 1999 300M, and neither it nor the 300C is equal the to a full-size Caddy! Somebody needs to mention that, the DTS is 207 in. long, and nearly matches cars 8 to 10 inches shorter in acceleration,braking, and handling while giving you room,comfort,smoothness,and luxury that they cannot touch:at $20,000 LESS!

Quote Originally Posted by DTSIke View Post
    HEY TEXAS JIM, AND FELLOW DTS-LOVERS! I'M WONDERING, JUST WHAT DOES PERFORMANCE TUNING INVOLVE, AND WHO DOES IT? WOW! THAT SOUNDS REALLY COOL! You get more horsepower AND better milage? Does this give you a smoother idle, or does it run smoother at speed? So your car is faster,or quieter,or what?

I have a 1999 300M, and neither it nor the 300C is equal the to a full-size Caddy! Somebody needs to mention that, the DTS is 207 in. long, and nearly matches cars 8 to 10 inches shorter in acceleration,braking, and handling while giving you room,comfort,smoothness,and luxury that they cannot touch:at $20,000 LESS!

I will try to answer all of your questions that I can.

First I will say.. I loved my DTS Performance Sedan before I had it tuned. I love it even MORE now.

The car is no quieter or smoother now when driving it.
    All the tuning was on the engine and transmission.
    It did NOT effect the smooth idle or how smooth the car runs.
    The car idles so smooth that if you have the radio on...you need to look at the tach to see if it is running.

The Tuning took about an hour and a half and involved the guy plugging his laptop with the tuning software into the OBD port of the Cadillac and then riding with me and making changes to the cars computers as I drove the car.

We drove down the freeway for three or four miles for him to get a baseline on where to start.

Then for the next hour and a half...

He changed the advance curve and the maximum advance of the timing..
    He did a lot of adjusting to the fuel tables...
    He raised the transmission line pressure for better shifts...
    He removed 75% of the torque management...
    He raised the shift points from 6600 to 6800 RPM...
    He raised the speed at which it would DOWNSHIFT back to a lower gear...
    He raised the speed limiter from 123 mph to 150 mph.

In summary, the car is just as smooth and quite as it ever was but now it RUNS BETTER and is even MORE fun to drive.
    And as an added benefit, on the trip I just made from Texas to Florida and back, it got around 2 mpg BETTER than usual.

I took it to the local 1/8th mile drag strip the other day and ran a best time of 10.01. I think it would have got into the 9's if it didn't have so much wheelspin and wheelhop coming off the line.

As to your comment about the handling... if you haven't driven a Performance Sedan...if you get a chance...DRIVE ONE.

With the Magnetic Ride Suspension, bigger wheels and tires and Four Channel StabiliTrac...it is pretty amazing what a big ole car, that weighs well over two tons can do.

There is a world of difference between them and the other DTS's if you like to drive...(how should I say this)...BRISKLY...and now that I have this one tuned even better than stock... It is GREAT. I love it.

Texas Jim

Southern is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird

Notice that your car turned a best 6.68 secs 0-60 over at caddy info http://www.caddyinfo.com/dtstest.html

Was that before or after the performance tune?
    If it was before......maybe you should drive over and see Bruce again.......

Southern

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Old enough to avoid telling the truth. (16 and never been ....) Actually 65 at Christmas. Still waiting for my presents, as I am not to proud to be bribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Notice that your car turned a best 6.68 secs 0-60 over at caddy info http://www.caddyinfo.com/dtstest.html

Was that before or after the performance tune?
    If it was before......maybe you should drive over and see Bruce again.......

Southern

That was before the tune.
    I have already spoken to Bruce... we are going to do it again..as soon as our schedules coincide. It will be interesting to see how it does now.

The big problem I have NOW is wheelhop and wheelspin. I have to learn how to control that.

Texas Jim

aspin42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am 68 born in 1940

Cranky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Luxury II

I just turned 50 and decided to treat myself to some luxury. Just got an '08 DTS Lux II and love it so far.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.