How old are YOU? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: How old are you?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40 or younger

82 36.94%
  • 41-60

87 39.19%
  • 61 or older

53 23.87%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How old are YOU? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I stumbled in here and thought i'd post. i just purchased a 2000 deville. if i had the funds to ...
    curby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: How old are YOU?

I stumbled in here and thought i'd post. i just purchased a 2000 deville. if i had the funds to purchase a 2006 DTS believe me i would. I'm 32 and have loved cadillacs since i was a kid. I was into the fast imports as a twenty year old but found myself always wanted luxury and the only thing that came to mind was a Cadillac DeVille. I looked and looked for a decent priced DTS but could never talk the wife out of $24,000 lol. so i figured i'd start off cheaper with a $5000 DeVille. hopefully this will help her realize that i need a newer one!

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by curby View Post
    I stumbled in here and thought i'd post. i just purchased a 2000 deville. if i had the funds to purchase a 2006 DTS believe me i would. ......... hopefully this will help her realize that i need a newer one!

Hey Curby,

Hang in there. You will get it.
    They are GREAT cars. I love mine.
    Performance Sedan
    White Lightning with Shale interior.
    Sunroof and Nav system. All options except Tuscany.

Texas Jim

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

I am 64, have owned 3 Corvettes and my first Cadillac was the best thing Cadillac ever built in my opinion. That was a 1997 Eldorado ETC. When it was time to trade it was obvious that the Eldo was on the way out as they weren't incorporationg any new technology into it. I have tolerated Deville DTS sedans and DTS performance level sedans ever since. I did have one SRX but hated the poor quality and was really pissed when they applied a 4 WD code fix that really chopped the 0-60 time on my V8 2WD and they couldn't back it off. Always understand any patches they want to apply to your vehicle as many are nothing more than work arounds and since there are no published vehicle performance standards anything Cadillac or any manufacturer designs is "normal operation".

Contrary to the initial premise, the Internet is not always the property of the young. I have been involved in computing and I/T since 1964 (back when you actually had to know how they worked) and ARPANET was just a dream. I have 6 systems running in my house and sometimes even manage to get one of my DVRs to do what I want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mack1a View Post
    sometimes even manage to get one of my DVRs to do what I want it to do.

Mack1a,

Man... you are GOOD to be able to do that. Just kidding.
    I have two dual tuner HD DVR's. Love 'em. No more commercials. I almost NEVER watch anything live.

Texas Jim

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by santino View Post
    Like i said i am big cars all the way.My wife had a Lincoln Townie prior to her new car.You think you see Gray heads in a Caddy showroom a Lincoln showroom is like Sun city Arizona. I think Caddy should leave DTS big they have done well with the CTS and other cars to get people under 50 into showrooms.
    I think Cadillac should leave the DTS big also---if it was big in the first place.It may "seem" big today as all luxury cars have been shrunk down compared to the giants of the past. The DTS/DHS is smaller inside and out compared to the previous generation Devilles.
    I drove my aunts 2003 DHS yesterday---this generation Deville's interior room seats just 4 adults compared to the previous generations Devilles which seat 6 adults.
    I own a mint condition 1995 Sedan Deville.After driving the '03 DHS, i immediately noticed the smaller interior space.I hope the next generation Luxury model Cadillac creates has more body length and can seat 6 adults again.
    Even my generation Deville is a shrunk down version compared to the biggest Devilles Cadillac ever made-----but it looks big today as the others have been shrunk down even more.

nosro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Contrary to the initial premise, the Internet is not always the property of the young...
    Well sure, you're an exception! I happen to know someone who is 30 and barely knows how to turn on a computer.

I can tell most of the people around here are older due to observations such as:
    1) constant referral to the "good old days" of Cadillac in the 1960's/1970's/etc. (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with these assessments, but such comments generally do date the poster).
    2) No "mod" culture. (Most people 30 or younger are always looking to modify their vehicle, even if it is just a set of tasteful rims, much more so than those over 50. Of course, there are those with more "extreme" interpretations of vehicle modding.)
    3) Discussion of antiquated habits, such as always using the parking brake, which were once valid but are now irrelevant and not usually taught to younger drivers.

And in case you can't tell, I voted for the youngest bracket. I can tell you that this has been quite a culture shock coming from a Subaru WRX crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by nosro View Post
    Well sure, you're an exception! I happen to know someone who is 30 and barely knows how to turn on a computer.

I can tell most of the people around here are older due to observations such as:
    2) No "mod" culture. (Most people 30 or younger are always looking to modify their vehicle, even if it is just a set of tasteful rims, much more so than those over 50. Of course, there are those with more "extreme" interpretations of vehicle modding.)

And in case you can't tell, I voted for the youngest bracket. I can tell you that this has been quite a culture shock coming from a Subaru WRX crowd!

I don't consider myself too much of an exception and I am 63.
    I have been in IT for over 25 years.
    I work for the third largest bank in the US.
    I oversee the computer/network repair and maintenence for the Dallas / Ft. Worth area.
    Not counting what I have to go and do myself.

I have modded my 2006 Performance Sedan. But not much.

It already has nice wheels. 18 inch ...9 spoke Chrome with 245x50x18 "H" rated tires.

I added the 3-M plastic covering for the front of it including extra heavy plastic for the headlights and front of the rearview mirrors. Had a piece costom made for the TOP of the rear bumper to keep the bumper from getting scratched.

Had the windows tinted darker.
    Limo tint on rear window.
    Very small, very light gold, pinstripes down the sides.

So... even if some of us are pretty much over the hill... we ain't completely out of it.

Oh... and since it IS a Performance Sedan... I like to drive it like one. The 123 mph speed limiter ticks me off everytime I think about it.

Texas Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    I don't consider myself too much of an exception and I am 63.
    I have been in IT for over 25 years. ...
    SuperJim - I don't know any IT people over the age of 40, and I have definitely lost count of how many IT people I have worked with in my career. You are definitely an exception - I don't think you should defy that label. You're the cool kind of exception. That 30 year old who can barely turn on the computer is a pathetic kind of exception.

The 123 mph speed limiter ticks me off everytime I think about it. ...
    OK, now you're going to force me to find the top speed just so I can claim to keep up with a 63 year old

OK, now you're going to force me to find the top speed just so I can claim to keep up with a 63 year old

Be safe ....please. We don't have to have a contest.
    I don't want to feel responseable for anyone getting hurt. Or matbe going to jail for reckless driving.

Most places.... 20 over the speed limit ... CAN... at the discretion of the cop... be considered reckless driving.

Texas Jim

Be safe ....please. We don't have to have a contest.
    I don't want to feel responseable for anyone getting hurt. Or matbe going to jail for reckless driving. ...
    Oh, don't worry. I was just kidding. If I had the need for speed, I would have kept my previous car - a Subaru WRX - which has no speed limiter.

Oh, don't worry. I was just kidding. If I had the need for speed, I would have kept my previous car - a Subaru WRX - which has no speed limiter.
    Understand. There is one in my neighborhood. I think it is an STi.

There are several of the small cars with the loud exhaust. Most of them are all noise and not really much GO.

I know the WRX is in a whole 'nuther class. I don't think I would want to tangle with one of them.

I have had fun with some of the kids driving the loud ones. Be behind one of them as they start up the entrance ramp on the freeway, especially if they have a buddy or two with them.

They have it wound up..going thru the gears... and as we pull out onto the freeway... I have my right arm up on top of the passengers seat, left hand draped across the top of the steering wheel, like I am out for a Sunday drive. As I drive around them. Like the Mastercard commercials... the look on their face is ... PRICELESS. It is like "Where did Grandpa in the Caddy come from?" and "How is he passing me?" I get a kick out of doing that.

There is a couple of them, that now when they see me, they always wave at me. They now respect the Caddy a little, I think.

Texas Jim

mack1a is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS

[quote=nosro;1474584]SuperJim - I don't know any IT people over the age of 40, and I have definitely lost count of how many IT people I have worked with in my career. You are definitely an exception - I don't think you should defy that label. You're the cool kind of exception. That 30 year old who can barely turn on the computer is a pathetic kind of exception.

The best programmer I ever saw was 64 years old. I made a lot of money selling his services when people were experiencing large system performance issues.

As for you Superjim. Atta Boy, I love to blow the little sewing machine buzz cars off the road. I almost bought a CTS V since most non Cadillac people have no idea as to what is under the hood.

The point about modding is essentially true. The only mod I did on the DTS is to add what I call the AutoTongue to protect the back bumper. Personally, I would rather make performance statements than bling statements.

I put film on my former SRX. In addition to the front end, I added a small apron under the gas cap to protect against gas spills and I did apply it to the sills (lots of stretch and heat gun work) so I could protect the sills. Also applied it to the cutouts under the door handles.

The point about modding is essentially true. The only mod I did on the DTS is to add what I call the AutoTongue to protect the back bumper. Personally, I would rather make performance statements than bling statements.
    Just to clarify, although modding is frequently seen as appearance mods, the modding culture in import cars is usually focused on performance mods. These include engine, suspension, and even frame modifications.

Modding is limited to appearance items on the DTS because these aren't performance oriented cars nor cars which are sold to an audience with a performance mindset. I wish such parts were available!

Modding is limited to appearance items on the DTS because these aren't performance oriented cars nor cars which are sold to an audience with a performance mindset. I wish such parts were available!

That makes two of us, wishing that performance parts were available.

I have been thinking of getting the HPTuners Deluxe tuning software for the DTS. I keep holding off... hoping to find SOMEONE that has used it and could tell me if it was worth it or not.

Hate to spend $600 bucks and not get much (if any) benefit out of it.

Texas Jim

Texas Jim - it is hard to "tune" a normally aspirated engine for more power. If you can imagine, GM already has rows of dynos, fleets of vehicles, and armies of people whose only job is to tune the engine for maximum power and fuel efficiency. I doubt two guys in a garage can extract something those GM engineers haven't already figured out - even the claimed power increases by some of these tuners is well within the margin of error or engine-to-engine variation.

What usually happens is that tuners advance the spark a little more and dial back the knock sensitivity. Sometimes, they lean the mixture some. This is all to the detriment of reliability, of course, (usually, catalyst reliability) and all for a tiny amount of power that is barely perceptable. Alternatively, some tune to optimize for high-octane fuel over regular fuel, but our Northstars already handle that spectrum extremely well.

Bottom line: engine ECU tunes on Northstars, alone, are not likely to net anything perceptable.

On the other hand, I'd pay a lot for a different suspension tune (slightly stiffer springs and damping close to the Performance sedan on a curvy road) and a slightly throatier exhaust.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.