'91 DeVille - trans problems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, '91 DeVille - trans problems? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; when i am cruising(doesn't matter how fast), and give it a little gas....i get a really bad 'shimmy'...sort of like ...
    delvryboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

'91 DeVille - trans problems?

when i am cruising(doesn't matter how fast), and give it a little gas....i get a really bad 'shimmy'...sort of like going over ripples in the road

also, when i hit around 70-75mph, i get the same thing...burrap, burrap, burrap

if i get on it or let off the gas, the vibration goes away

could it be a trans problem?...it has 110k on it

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inmycadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl

Exclamation Re: '91 DeVille - trans problems?

Quote Originally Posted by delvryboy
    when i am cruising(doesn't matter how fast), and give it a little gas....i get a really bad 'shimmy'...sort of like going over ripples in the road

Try pulling your codes, hold "off" and "warmer" buttons at same time until display goes nuts, do this with the car off but key in start postion, then look at fuel display and watch what codes come up, write them down and post them herre. If u get code E39, u might have a problem.
    It could be bad rear shocks, though. I'm not sure what u mean by the "burap" sound. Let us know. Whatever u do, don't take it to a transmission shop!

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: '91 DeVille - trans problems?

i had the EXACT same thing in my blazer, your tranny plates are slipping. Go look for a new transmission. But first, open the tranny pan first, if its full of metal, get a new one.

delvryboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the only code i have is the stinking 85 i cannot get rid of...i think i am going to replace the TPS(last resort, not in flow chart) just as a shot in the dark

my first thoughts are a mechanical trans problem

...but, it seems to have some irratic shifting, when i give it a little gas, where normally it should downshift, it stays in 3rd....which will cause that shimmy

can my e85 and irratic shifting be related?

inmycadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl

Exclamation Re: '91 DeVille - trans problems?

I had code 85 before too. Caddy dealer showed me in his diagnostic book and it said to clean the throttle body. So I did clean throttle body and that took care of it! Sounds like your tranny is pooping out on ya. I don't know too much about trannys but if its slipping, I know thats BAD.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

your transmission is eating shitt right now.

Cadillac-Junkie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have a code po=85 says idle throtle angle is to high. does it just need to be cleaned or is there a adjustment needed to be made and where is it located? thanks

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by delvryboy

yeah that happenes on my car when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd the car will shift gears but the engine stays at the same rpms when it happens right around 2500 rpms but i notice the other day that if i slowly increase the engine speed when in park that right at 2500 rpms my engine kind of misfires or skips. check out that your engine is running smooth all the way through the rpm band, and maybe it's just time for a tune up. this week i'm getting one done if all goes well i'll let you know.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.