No Vent?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, No Vent? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I drive a 1991 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, and my friend drives a 1993 Sedan DeVille. We both have the same ...
    surfer266 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question No Vent?

I drive a 1991 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, and my friend drives a 1993 Sedan DeVille. We both have the same problem, when we turn the air on Econ or Auto the way I understand it the air should be running form the vents at the front. The air instead comes from the defrost vents no matter what it is set on. I have been told it could be a vacuum tube or some such thing... if anybody has had this problem can ya help me out? I'd love to be able to fix this myself without paying for it. Thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sixtires is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: No Vent?

There are some air doors down under the dash that are vacuum controlled. By default, they'll go to defrost only (I think the designers figured if they weren't going to work, go to defrost so you don't fog up). Anyway, somewhere, you've got a bad vacuum line under the dash, or the vacuum controller is bad.

You'll probably have to take half the dash apart to get it. On the passenger side, behind the glove box is where you'll find it. There are at least two vacuum actuators under there with vacuum lines. Either the actuators themselves are bad, or the lines, or both.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by surfer266
    I drive a 1991 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, and my friend drives a 1993 Sedan DeVille. We both have the same problem, when we turn the air on Econ or Auto the way I understand it the air should be running form the vents at the front. The air instead comes from the defrost vents no matter what it is set on. I have been told it could be a vacuum tube or some such thing... if anybody has had this problem can ya help me out? I'd love to be able to fix this myself without paying for it. Thanks a lot.

At the side of the throttle body is a black tube that looks like it is for air, it leads into what looks like a distributor and from there into a black box next to the fan for the air/heater - this tube was not connected and is in fact broken off - if you need pictures I may be able to post some but there are 2 connectors for these hoses and one is disconnected - I am wondering if this may have anything to do with my air problem? If you need more info let me know I don't really know how to explain it well. - Thanks

ChangedSoul is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi, I also have this problem. ONly my vacume is working for the heat/AC. I took the dash apart and can see the air flow door moving when I change the temp in the car. But I still cant seem to figure out why my dash vents do not blow. The door for that remains closed with some amount of force too. I can get my fingers in there and push on it, but it springs back. What controlls this door? Is it the same thing that controls the heat/AC door? and where can I find it if it is the same thing. Is it that box attached on the outer case where the heater core goes? Oh sorry...my car is an 89 deville. Thanks for the help.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

what temparature do you have it set at when you turn it on econ or auto and the front vents don't work?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Most all cars using vacuum to direct air flow will go to defrost mode if the vacuum source from the engine is disconnected, pinched, or otherwise not getting to the dash controls. Look for the vacuum source from the engine or the vacuum storage tank if the particular car has one. The question about the heater/a/c blend door operating the dash vents is the blend door is electrical, the dash vents are vacuuum operated. If the temperature is set below the interior temperature , it should blow thru the dash vents. The system usually will not blow heated air thru the dash vents unless it is regulating to a new temp after the setting has been changed by the driver.

inmycadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl

Exclamation Re: No Vent?

I can't believe nobody's enlightened you guys yet. That's the way those Caddys were made. There's nothing wrong. They were designed that way. I know it kinda sucks. When you have it set for heat it blows out bottom(by feet) or defrost only, no vent heat. The vents are for air conditioning only.

It did turn out to be a Vacuum tube problem. One of the tubes was broken and there was no suction to change the vents. Replaced the tube, and voila! I have A/C through my vents now!

kevinK is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wink Re: No Vent?

Quote Originally Posted by inmycadillac
    I can't believe nobody's enlightened you guys yet. That's the way those Caddys were made. There's nothing wrong. They were designed that way. I know it kinda sucks. When you have it set for heat it blows out bottom(by feet) or defrost only, no vent heat. The vents are for air conditioning only.
    If the temp. setting is 68 or lower, the dash vent will blow WORM air, if it is 69 or above , it will only work for cold air. In winter time, do not set the temp above 68 and you will get worm air. Inmycadillac, you may have missed this function for years.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.