Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay. So what's your opinion on these cars? Which do you own? Which HAVE you owned? Let's hear it from ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Post Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

Okay. So what's your opinion on these cars? Which do you own? Which HAVE you owned? Let's hear it from the people who can tell it...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I hope I can give you the information you want. Keep in mind I have only owned my 1991 Fleetwood FWD for a month, but because of the very low miles it has, (21,000) and the fact that my stepdad bought it new, I know the whole history, here it goes. Under warranty, my dad had to get a new oil seal on the pan. He only played a tape a couple of times, and after he did, the radio failed to function, as well as the clock. He had it fixed then. Now, roughly ten years later I have had the same problem with the radio not functioning, which is strange because the tape plays. It does not have the optional Bose, it is marked "symphony sound." The radio/cassette has been out twice in two weeks and I am still waiting to get it repaired. It is very frustrating and time consuming for me, and I am going to inform Cadillac Division that this mint/stored car should NOT have this problem. Other than these, the car is very dependable and a pleasure to drive. Thank you.

Angstrom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have owned a 91 Fleetwood since 1994. It has been a very good car. Logged about 100 miles on it and it is still running strong. The only real problem was losing a couple of air ride struts, but luckily they were both covered by extended warranty that I purchased. Also had some ECU updates done under warranty.

Not great resale value on these cars. I have mine stored now for about a year. I couldn't get any reasonable money for it. So I've decided that it will become a project car some where down the road, maybe ten years or so from now.

zippy8792 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking 1997 DeVille De'Style

I have owned my '97 DeVille for 4 years now. Bought it with 24,700 miles on it. Only thing I had go wrong was the electronic EGR valve go bad(warranty took care of it) and the rest have been trouble free miles. By the way it has 84,000 + miles now. I could decribe it as driving your living room sofa down the road. Very comfortable and pretty good MPG . I added a six cd changer and a Crime Stopper Plus auto start. In January of this year I added 2003 DTS wheels and tires I thought it looked real good. I added 3 pictures in the photo section take a look. GB
    Attached Images
    jounier11 and jounier11 like this.

Zippy, your car is even more beautiful than my dad's new DTS!!

zippy8792 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Ralph, thanks I try to keep it clean and looking new.

LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I've had my DTS for about 15 months now. I bought it new in January 2002. It has every option except the sunroof (I wanted more headroom) and the cellular integration package (wouldn't work with my phone). I got the adaptive seating, night vision, navigation system, zebrano wood trim package, side airbags, etc etc. The first thing I did was have the interior gutted, and I added 432 square feet of noise damping material, along with a few layers of acoustic foam. The car is dead silent. 63 Db at 70 mph. It gained a little weight, but performance didn't seem to suffer too much. I did experience a couple of problems (before the modifications, so those can't be blamed on the modifications). The navigation system has worked great with one exception. Maybe once or twice a week, I start the car, and all I hear is a buzzing sound from the stereo. It's loud, and annoying and it won't go away untill I turn the car off for about two minutes. Other than that, no problems with the nav system. I had a little trouble with brake squeal, but I got over that by trying to drive more like an old man. I had to have a wheel speed sensor replaced (under warranty) and one factory recall (again, no cost). Overall I've been happy with the car and the service I've received.

The acceleration isn't quite "fast" but "authoritative" wouldn't be a bad discription. Braking is a little weaker than I'd like and it could use some more grip in the corners, but in general it handles very well for a car of it's size and weight. I drive my cars hard. This car is NOTHING like my Z06, but when pushed to the limit it has a nice feel to it and the stabilitrac does a good job of keeping things under control if you get a little crazy. I plan on replacing the tires with something wider and stickier, which will hopefully improve my cornering. I'm also seeking thicker sway bars to quell the body roll.

Performance in the snow is fantastic, easily allowing me to go out under almost any conditions I've seen in my area (Massacusetts).

I've done several road trips with it. I haven't found a car that's better for long drives in terms of comfort an smooth easy cruising (although I sat in the new Rolls Royce, and i'm pretty sure that'd be one hell of a road tripper). Much nicer on long trips than my brother's Audi A8L. However at high speeds (say over 115) it feels too mushy. Not enough grip, and not stiff enough suspension....especially when the car is loaded. But if you plan to cruise at even vaguely legal speeds it's fantastic. There's plenty of room for four in the car. Five is ok if the third person in the back is small, or you aren't travelling too far. Trunk space is generous, but not mind blowing. Interior appointments are excellent, and everyone likes the seats (nice leather in my opinion), the seat heaters, the multizone climate control, and the reading lamps that are well placed to prevent glare to the driver. The trim impresses most people, but there are a few pieces that get on my nerves. The plastic panel surrounding the climate controls and the nav screen is really cheap and doesn't fit flush. Some of the controls on the dash look and feel cheap (although ergonomics are great) and the center console isn't as rock solid as those of other high end cars (it creaks if you lean on it).

I've got 24,000 miles on the car now and I've driven it under virtually any sort of circumstances. I've been please over all with the car and with all of it's features. Even the night vision has made itself useful, saving me from a definite collision with pack of three moose on one occasion and several times with deer. If I could change a few things about the car, this is what they'd be:

1. Dual pane windows...a good bit of the cabin noise comes from the windows

2. Another 50 hp

3. Stiffer swaybars

4. Slightly better interior trim

5. Slightly stiffer suspension

6. 255/45/18 tires (I think that'd be about the right width and would maintain enough sidewall to be comfortable.

If anyone has any specific questions about my car or my experience with it, feel free to ask.

Scott

Scott, I'm curious how much weight you added to the car by installing sound deadening material, what it cost, and if you think it was worth it? I would be leary of rattles after a big job like that. I had my dad's new DTS up to 120 kph, and there was only a whisper. I know what you mean by trim pieces that get on your nerves. I have a low mileage Fleetwood (21,100 miles orig.) and there were bolts not snug, maxifuse panal doesn't fit or twist down properly, etc. I also noticed a little creaking at low speeds from the rear suspension. (could be from storage, age, rubber bushings going dry?) What color is your DTS?

LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I probably added about 200 lbs. It seems like a lot, but it's only about 5 percent of the weight of the car. Roughly equivilant to one large male passenger. I can feel the difference (just as you could feel the presence of a passenger) but it's not that severe. So far, no squeaks or rattles. The work was done by very talented guys at a local shop, and I monitored all stages of the process. Since I used brand name Dynomat, the cost came out to be quite high. Just under ten grand. But it's quieter than any production car on the market (according to Car and Driver's reports on noise levels at 70 mph). I've been satisfied with the sound proofing work and if I had to make the choice again, I would definitely do it. However I think most of the effect could be had with about half the cost and weight. I'm working on getting the dual pane windows made for it, which should make a significant difference, if I ever get it done. I drove the car around stock for a while, and I have to say it was a fantastic machine for the price. The insulation work just brought it to a new level in terms of peaceful high speed cruising.

Those Fleetwoods are HUGE!!! I rode in one once and thought it was awesome. I thought about getting a late one instead of my DTS but living in DC half the year, I just couldn't deal with the size. Awesome car though.

Scott

Actually, I should have mentioned that my Fleetwood is a FWD, so not really that huge. If you want huge try on the 91 Grand Marquis I had. I wouldnot want to hit a deer with the Caddy, it is so low to the ground I will probably be pushing snow around in 6 months! I have to admire you making your car right for you. There have been issues with many of my cars that I wish I took enough initiative with. PS, you can always get some level 2 bullet resistant glass from a Brinks Armored truck. Man, that stuff is thick, any thicker and you will not need bi-foculs. LOL

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville
    I doubt either one of you would like riding in my noisey 87' it squeeks and rattles and the viberation is terrible! and there is this very loud banging sound comming from some where in my trunk.

Originally posted by SoundAdvantage
    I doubt either one of you would like riding in my noisey 87' it squeeks and rattles and the viberation is terrible! and there is this very loud banging sound comming from some where in my trunk.
    It's probably knocking around from the people you kidnapped in your trunk, and they are trying to escape!

cadysrme is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville, DTS, STS, CTS, Escalade, Allante

Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

Quote Originally Posted by LymanSS
    I've had my DTS for about 15 months now. I bought it new in January 2002. It has every option except the sunroof (I wanted more headroom) and the cellular integration package (wouldn't work with my phone). I got the adaptive seating, night vision, navigation system, zebrano wood trim package, side airbags, etc etc. The first thing I did was have the interior gutted, and I added 432 square feet of noise damping material, along with a few layers of acoustic foam. The car is dead silent. 63 Db at 70 mph. It gained a little weight, but performance didn't seem to suffer too much. I did experience a couple of problems (before the modifications, so those can't be blamed on the modifications). The navigation system has worked great with one exception. Maybe once or twice a week, I start the car, and all I hear is a buzzing sound from the stereo. It's loud, and annoying and it won't go away untill I turn the car off for about two minutes. Other than that, no problems with the nav system. I had a little trouble with brake squeal, but I got over that by trying to drive more like an old man. I had to have a wheel speed sensor replaced (under warranty) and one factory recall (again, no cost). Overall I've been happy with the car and the service I've received.

The acceleration isn't quite "fast" but "authoritative" wouldn't be a bad discription. Braking is a little weaker than I'd like and it could use some more grip in the corners, but in general it handles very well for a car of it's size and weight. I drive my cars hard. This car is NOTHING like my Z06, but when pushed to the limit it has a nice feel to it and the stabilitrac does a good job of keeping things under control if you get a little crazy. I plan on replacing the tires with something wider and stickier, which will hopefully improve my cornering. I'm also seeking thicker sway bars to quell the body roll.

Performance in the snow is fantastic, easily allowing me to go out under almost any conditions I've seen in my area (Massacusetts).

I've done several road trips with it. I haven't found a car that's better for long drives in terms of comfort an smooth easy cruising (although I sat in the new Rolls Royce, and i'm pretty sure that'd be one hell of a road tripper). Much nicer on long trips than my brother's Audi A8L. However at high speeds (say over 115) it feels too mushy. Not enough grip, and not stiff enough suspension....especially when the car is loaded. But if you plan to cruise at even vaguely legal speeds it's fantastic. There's plenty of room for four in the car. Five is ok if the third person in the back is small, or you aren't travelling too far. Trunk space is generous, but not mind blowing. Interior appointments are excellent, and everyone likes the seats (nice leather in my opinion), the seat heaters, the multizone climate control, and the reading lamps that are well placed to prevent glare to the driver. The trim impresses most people, but there are a few pieces that get on my nerves. The plastic panel surrounding the climate controls and the nav screen is really cheap and doesn't fit flush. Some of the controls on the dash look and feel cheap (although ergonomics are great) and the center console isn't as rock solid as those of other high end cars (it creaks if you lean on it).

I've got 24,000 miles on the car now and I've driven it under virtually any sort of circumstances. I've been please over all with the car and with all of it's features. Even the night vision has made itself useful, saving me from a definite collision with pack of three moose on one occasion and several times with deer. If I could change a few things about the car, this is what they'd be:

1. Dual pane windows...a good bit of the cabin noise comes from the windows

2. Another 50 hp

3. Stiffer swaybars

4. Slightly better interior trim

5. Slightly stiffer suspension

6. 255/45/18 tires (I think that'd be about the right width and would maintain enough sidewall to be comfortable.

If anyone has any specific questions about my car or my experience with it, feel free to ask.

Scott

Did you find out what the noise is from the stereo? It sounds like you are describing the same problem I had on my 2001 DTS. It hasn't happened yet to my 2003 though. The dealer fixed it and it didn't take them that long to figure out the problem. There was an amp or some connection on the back of the rear seat where the electronics are mounted that had a bad connection and was causing the loud sound out of the speakers..just a loud roar/buzz. It was so loud when I pulled it into the dealer when it was occuring that people started to walk outside to figure out what the noise was...they thought there were low flying jets! It was loud...anyway they fixed it and it never happned again.

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
    I've got an "88 DeVille, am the 2nd owner, but have known the car since new. She is well over the 170K mile mark now. Still no rust (she has gotten undersprayed every year around this time) and twice a year she has had SLICK 50 oil, tranny and power steering treatments done.

I got her in the summer of '98. I didn't like the external colour much so I had a 1995 Caddy colour applied (Mocha Metallic). It is a perfect match for the taupe interior. I also shaved off the caddy emblem on the hood, filled in the hole and mounted a larger emblem in the centre of the grille. Also reefed the "script" emblems of Cadillac and Sedan De Ville in favour of the 1998 DEVILLE block letter emblems.

This summer I treated her to an upgrade of sorts. She now has NGK Iridium plugs, K&N air and oil filters, MOBIL 1 synthetic oil and tranny fluid. Next up on the agenda will be a new exhaust system. You can see photos of her in the DeVille photo section.

Would I change anything else? Well, I wouldn't mind having a 4.9 instead of the 4.5 and I saw in a local boneyard that the Fleetwoods' of the same year had real wood trim for the interior - I may go back to that boneyard, pull the trim and use it as a template to fashion new ones out of walnut - I have the perfect slab of wood at home.

No real huge expenses other than regular upkeep on a car that is approaching the 200,000 mile mark. She is still ultra quiet (each Spring and Fall I go over the interior and tighten anything remotely loose - can't STAND rattles in a luxury car. It is the ultimate turn-off for me), still rust free and still turns heads - especially with the exterior mods.

Would I get another? Damn straight I would, but the money tree is in hibernation right now so I will continue to shower this one with affection.

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

1992 Cadillac Eldorado
    I bought this car about a month ago with 67,xxx miles on it. It is Diamond White exterior with the black ground effects around the car. There is nothing wrong with the exterior except the passenger side door. It has a large gouge in the molding that should be fixed as soon as i get some extra cash. The interior is PERFECT. The only thing is the normal wear and tear of a 11 year old car. About the car in general it is a well rounded coupe. A few things that i don't really care for are the frameless windows b/c of the noise it makes at high speeds. My car didn't come with any cup holders and that really bothers me ALOT i love my coffee in the morning. I also have the base model coupe so i dont' have the wood accents in the car. That adds a touch of class to it. The stock rims are abosolutly horrible to keep clean b/c of the 30 spokes and its very time consuming. It is also basically a 4 person car. There is no way 5 adults can fit into it.
    The things that i do like are endless. The interior is really comfortable and elegant. It turns a lot of heads to see a youngin driving it. It will smoke most stock cars on the road even though its the 4.9L. Gas milage is great for a v8 (no matter what anyone says im used to 10 MPG). The handling is perfect for a car of that size and how I'd expect it to handle. Well that's really about it. Would i get another one YES. But i would make sure i get the North* and a 95 or newer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.