Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Been a cadi owner since I was 18, 43 now. I have always loved the cars. I have has a ...
    akfreak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 dhs deville

Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

Been a cadi owner since I was 18, 43 now. I have always loved the cars. I have has a 60 hard top 5 or 6 fleetwoods, and I bought a used 2003 Deville DHS loaded 3 years ago. My dream car, it is super low miles it has 23 k when I got it. All of my other cars were driven daily and had over 100k. My 2003 Deville DHS has been a complete lemon. I have replaced all 4 windows regulators for $500 a pop. I have used more oil than a WWI total loss bi plane, But it is common so says the dealer. Now with 20 trips to the dealer to fix various issues. My transmission is now in the need of replacement. I have not been able to drive my car for a year because it wont pass smog (chek eng come on) I have PMC codes P0174 P0340 P0741 the dealer says I need a new transmission for $4500. Hell it is $1000 to tear it down to see if I need one. I am still paying on the car yet haven't driven it for a year. To top it all off I went to run the car today to keep the battery charged and I broke another window. I am ready to drive this car thru the dealership window. I hate Cadi so bad now I am just cry every time I send in a payment. The car has 43,000 I have had it for 3 years. I wish they would take it back and fix it. I have seen all of the same issues on the 03 and 04 deville. it Seems we were the test dummies and foot the bill so those people can stay in business. Very disappointed in Cadillac, dont think I will ever own one again, Unless I can find a 60 hard top again.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    I own a 1995 Deville I bought with one previous owner with slightly less than 100k miles on it. I was sold when one of my employees let me drive his 93 seville. I couldn't believe there this car was not only big and luxurious, but fast. My car hasn't really let me down majorly until recently. Here are the few things that have gone wrong with the car:

1. When I got it the rear door cigarette lighters didn't work, the seat belt indicator went nuts, and the door chime had a mind of it's own. Took it to a shop and found out there had to be a short blowing the fuse that controlled all those things. What a pain because the first junction box was behind the electronic display. We had to lower the steering column, remove the whole front dash and the electronic display to find all those wires were hopelessly melted and fused together to separate . The culprit seemed to be that the previous owner must have tried to use a microwave or hairdryer and when the fuse blew, just stuck a higher amp fuse in the fuse box. We cut out all that gunk and rewired everything and haven't had a problem with that since.

2. Started hearing a squeaking noise from the engine and I took it to a mechanic shop. Said my serpentine belt was loose and put a new one on. That problem fixed but...

3. I guess the tightness of the new belt caused the bearing in my a/c compressor to go out. The compressor siezed while I was driving and cooked my brand new belt open. I was getting ready to go to Iraq so I needed a quick fix to keep driving and would get the compressor fixed when I came back. They put on a belt that bypassed the compressor.

4. I come back from Iraq ready to replace the belt, compressor, receiver/dryer?, and orifice tube. Put everything on and the a/c worked for about one day and stopped blowing cold air. Seemed obvious that I was leaking freon but couldn't figure out where the leak was at. Finally found out that the compressor was doing the leaking. Replaced the compressor but a/c still doesn't work. It's pretty hot here in Virginia

5. I keep getting a message that says "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL". I took it to a Cadillac dealership and they say the computer registers no code for that error. The only thing on the Cadillac website suggests is to replace some ride control module that costs $1000. It doesn't seem to affect my driving so I'll wait until I get a bonus or something.

6. The baffles in the muffler went out so now my car sounds like a Roush Mustang. No big deal because that was the motivation I needed to go ahead and get dual exhaust put. I think I'm going to put a resonator in because I have a hard time hearing my stereo at speeds faster 45 mph. (I have 2 15" subwoofers in a custom enclosure, so it is pretty loud)

7. The engine stays wet with oil all the time but doesn't seem to cook off and it doesn't drip either. I was told that that was the norm for american made engines. The mechanic said that I could get a Jasper engine replacement for $5000 (that includes the pumps and hoses and labor) but it would probably start leaking again after about 30k miles. I don't notice any drop in my oil levels.

8. The car would pull to the left as I drove and even more noticably when I accelerated. One of the motor mounts had went out and I had that replaced. Still pulls slightly to the left now even after balancing and alignment but not enough to wear on my tires.

Enough on the negative stuff. This engine is punchy. I have no problem holding my own on the highway or in the city. The leather seats are nice, just wish they didn't start to feel like vinyl now. Regular maintence has kept the engine running smooth which is what counts. The color scheme is beautiful and still looks brand new after nearly ten years. It's a bright red with small metallic flakes and beige ragtop. I get compliments from people on it all the time. I put custom 20x8.5 rims which barely fit with 35 size tires. The interior is a mansion. I'm sad to see that new Cadillacs gave up all that space for new technology. I owned a 97 nissan sentra before this car and I don't know how I drove a car with such small legroom. Sorry Japan, I'll take cruiseship over a kayak anyday. I keep my seat all the way back and people who ride in the back never complain about legroom. Even if the engine blows, I'd rather replace it than buy any other car. Unless it's a big body cadillac :coolgleam

Can't believe that it's been nearly 7 years since I made this post. Well here's an update of my car since then.

1. I did wind up replacing the muffler and going with dual exhaust. The sound was pretty good and the horsepower increase helped with the heavier wheels.

2. Had taken my car to get some repairs to the body. When I got my car back, I drove about 100ft and the car just stops. Had it towed to the closest Cadillac dealership and they tell me the transmission is toast. Apparently some cable or chain or something after 13 years broke and I needed a new transmission. That cost me about $2000 parts and labor.

3. I've never heard or read reliable solution to the Service Ride Control issue so I've dealt with it. The plus is about 7 months ago, the compressor finally died, so now every time I start the car, I don't have to hear the compressor running for 5 minutes trying to put air into the struts.

4. I've had the tensioner pulley die on me. Thanks to the service manual and a delivery service, I just ordered a new belt and pulley and replaced it myself.

5. I had a catalytic convertor sensor go out and I had that replaced at the dealership.

At this point, the car is really starting to show her age. The cloth top has probably lasted as long as it can. There is a vibration/sound that comes from the front of the car after I hit 35 mph. The sound oddly goes away when I turn my wheels to the left. I figure that at this point it's probably something with the suspension and I don't really want to spend that much with they myriad of other problems it has. I also have an oil leak which amounts to 5-6 drops after being parked. I bought a 2011 DTS to have a more reliable vehicle while I decide whether I want to sink more money into it or not.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Buy a Town Car !
    Look at every large city. Look what all the livery companies drive. Most have 300,000 miles on them. then they turn into yellow taxi-cabs and go another 100,000 miles. Cheap to keep running, too. My long-gone Mom pleaded for my Dad to buy her a new Caddy (in 1972) as a 50th Wedding Anniversary Gift. Dad bought her a Coupe deVille. A beauty ...Light blue, white vinyl top & white leather. Mom had visition "rights" to her Caddy ~ as it was in the Dealer's shop, more that it was home! When the warrantee ran out (3 years-back then) she traded it for a 1975 Imperial, that she kept for some 12 years, until she passed on. In the 12 years, it neerded a nwew radiator. that was the extent of repairs.
    My 1993 Sixty Special is a great car, BUT it hardly gets used. It has 10,012 miles in 18 years !!! D.D. (Daily Driver is a Town Car. 8 years old, still awaiting the 1st problem !! It is a 2003.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Holy crap Sandy. Good to see you're still around. Stop by the lounge.

Forgoten214 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan DeVille

Good to see you Sandy, i agree the town car will last a long time. It's all about preference I guess.

I have a 90 Deville with about 270k on the clock. I love this car, it has some minor problems but nothing majorly wrong with the car. Just basic stuff from neglect from the previous owner I purchased the vehicle from. The car is solid as a tank and pulls pretty hard considering its age and mileage. I'm sure when I get it running 100% or close to it again it will be a lot stronger.
    jounier11 and jounier11 like this.

MauriceW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1993 Deville checking in! Just inherited it, and will need to figure out: 1. why the front passenger side window doesn't work 2. why the suspension in the rear is sagging. There may be a Strutmasters conversion kit in my future! Anyone have any experience with it?

PaulPool89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville

I own a 1995 Cadillac Deville 119K when I bought it.

This car is big and fast, just how I like my women. LOL

Very comfortable, it definitely turns heads to see a young guy like my driving it. My friends call it the pimp-mobile. And I can beat out almost anyone at the lights.

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

I owned a 2001 Deville for a month. The SES light came on for the torque converter clutch right after I bought it, so the dealer was going to fix it. The day before I was supposed to bring it in, some nut rear-ended it and totaled it. But I was not too worried about having any other issues, that's the big scary one and with it just repaired and warrantied, I'd be good for another 100k+.

Loved the car. We were all comfortable in it, and it smoked Town cars all day long

redfishsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS

I've had a 2003 DHS DeVille for the past 6 months or so, and it's been a fantastic car. No real problems other than it using some oil, which is perfectly normal for this car (it does NOT smoke).

Mine has 102K miles on it, and was given to us as a gift by a retired pastor who bought a used, 2 year old Thunderbird from a buddy of his who was upside down in the payments. The pastor bailed this friend out, and then donated his DHS to us. This DHS was actually given to him by his church when he retired in 2003. So, suffice it to say, I'm the 3rd owner of a car that has only been sold once!

iruleyounow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): RIP 01 Deville 69k Current:1998 Concours 60k
    I have owned ( in order of purchase) a 1993 etc, 1992 coupe deville, 1997 etc, 1991 etc, and finally my 01 deville. All cars were complete tanks in everyway except for the 97 and 91 eldorado. I bought the 97 with 120k, drove it from Chicago to northern Indiana and pulled it in the driveway and it overheated. The headgasket was shot so I got my money back and they towed it back. Then my 91 had 90k at time of purchase but was not taken care of and had set for 3 years behind the dealership. I bought it for 1500 and every 2 weeks after that I was putting 300$ into it. $2500 later I traded it in for a newer car and passed it on the side of the road smoking hahaha. But I am I die hard caddy lover. And at only 18 years old I've had my share. My favorite by far is my current deville. Paid 3500 for it with 65k almost mint condition. Got it at an estate sale. These are great cars, just make sure you know the history.

Hipoint is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DHS

2005 Deville DHS. My second Deville, had a 2002 base model, also.

I bought the 2005 used with 42K. It was ordered from the factory with EVERY option Cadillac offers.

I like it fine EXCEPT for the EFFING WINDOWS. Every one has fallen down and the dealerships want $400.00 to fix each one. This is a disgrace and a SCAM !! Cadillac should be ashamed ! To make matters WORSE, the replacement part hasn't been improved over the original equipment.

I'm assuming I just didn't hold on to the 2002 long enough for the windows to fall down on IT, also.

Cadillacdts01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 cadillac deville, 2001 cadillac dts
    Ive owned 5 cadillacs a 1990 cadillac deville, 1993 deville, 1998 deville a 2000 deville and recently bought a 2001 cadillac dts. I absolutely love these cars and all of them lasted me 200000+ miles. Currently my 2000 deville has 177000 miles everything oem. My,favorite cadillac was the 98 and my new 2001 so many options and my 2001 dts is black with black interior. 300hp is so much fun blows any town car or 300 off the road my 200 deville was involved in an accident totaled the front and rear end but im still driving it and it still drives like a drean I paid 48000 for it and my 2001 was 3000 cause it only has 89000 miles but needs an o2 sensor catalac converter nd tcc solenoid

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

My turn!! Got a 1996 Deville base VIN Y, and she is a beauty! Just over 65,000 miles, and everything is in great condition. Always wanted a Caddy, been my dream car since I was 3, and I am quite pleased to say my first one is one! Boy that "Once you go Cadillac you never go back" is true. I've ridden in Toyotas, Jeeps, Suburbans, Mazdas, etc..... and nothing can even begin to come close to the superior comfort and luxury mah Caddy offers . I've also suprised many of my buddies with its responsiveness and gotten a few converts!!

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I bought new, and still have, with only 12,000 miles a 1993 Sixty Special.
    After 10 years I got the itch for a new car, but with a mere 10,000 miles on the Caddy it was not something I needed. Then,a good friend died. He was the first to die of our group. He was 50. Right then I decided I would buy a new car. I decided upon a Lincoln Town Car Limited, it is a 2003. I have had it for 8 years and it has 8,500 miles. I can tell you that the Cadillac is more "tossable" ~ meaning that she corners a bit better than the Lincoln and the cabin is a bit quieter than the Town Car. However, the Town Car is much much smoooother riding than the Caddy. One 30 mile per hour ride over a set of RR tracks would prove that to a deaf person !

TexasGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 97

I have 97 Deville Base since like 2002 or 2003...

Nice car, 15 years old but its body style is still stylish even today. Very comfortable inside. Later 2000 models were way smaller inside. Very torquey engine, I can feel the acceleration, not like asian cars.

Other than looks, I don't think it can be driven way past 200K. Some maybe but not the most. After 130K all kind of problem start to pop up. After 150K it is not worth repairing. Most repairs are not too expensive at this point with so many aftermarket parts available. However, anything electrical or engine like is too expensive for such an old car. This is why people give up after a point and you see them listed for $3K or less on craigslist. But they are so beautiful in comparison to other $3K crap available, many buy them up and drive to the ground.

There are common problems like the head gasket problem with the engine that probably warrants a class suite action against GM. Rear shocks go out quickly too. Most 97-99's I see today are sitting low on rear wheels. I paid ~$1000 to replace the whole suspension as mine was falling apart. AC does not last long in GM cars, another $700. At least with such a big engine bay, it is easier to work on a car than most other.

I looked at the current Cadillac choices and they all suck. There is no more big bodied cars released. Even Town Car was axed. Maybe it is time to get a truck? I know a guy who got a new truck extended cab, I think Ford. Boy, what a nice soft ride with plenty of room.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.