Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had owned Lincolns all my adult life. Town Cars and Continentals... I spent a LOT of money over the ...
    Hipoint is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DHS

Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

I had owned Lincolns all my adult life. Town Cars and Continentals...

I spent a LOT of money over the years keeping them on the road.

In 2002, I rented a Deville from Enterprise for a month (charged it off as a business expense). I liked the car so much I bought it from Enterprise. Never had a single problem with it. EVER.

I wanted a sunroof which this car didn't have, so I traded for a 2005 DHS with EVERY option Cadillac offers...

I had a problem with it (see "Deville Stumbles" thread). Dealership nor indy garage could figure out what was wrong and this royally hacked me off. Got charged over $700 in "diagnostics" and (this MIGHT fix it). I swore I'd never own another Cadillac after this one. FINALLY fixed the problem myself (after about 9 months) with the help of this forum !!

I'm softening on my stance about another one. I do a LOT of long distance travel and I've never found another car that makes this chore any more pleasant... The ride, the quiet, the room, the comfort...

Almost bought a Mercedes in 2005. Was ready to sign till
    I found out the sucker wouldn't burn anything but premium gas and that killed the deal for me.

When the time comes to trade, I honestly don't know which way I'll go.

I know it WON'T be a Lincoln (which, in the end result, is just a glorified Crown Vic)...

jeffhaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 DeVille

Have a '97 DeVille D'elegance with 81,000 miles. Issues with the car: air conditioning developed a leak, oil consumption is high, and the stereo amplifier stays on after the ignition is off, even after the RAP period is over. It has killed the battery once, so I have to pull the fuse now.

jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

In 1996 and 97 I had a 1990 Sedan DeVille. kept it about 15 months. It had a real wierd ABS system that I never really trusted, it also had a sunroof that rattled a lot. One night a puff of smoke came out of the steering column. I traded it for a 91 Fleetwood. This one had an issue with the check engine light coming on. Dealer couldn't find the trouble so I took it to my cousins shop. He traced it down to the computer not allowing the torque converter to lock up consistantly. Even though it was one of the OPTIMIUM used cars the dealer didn't want to fix it so they took it back. This car also had the computer controled front struts. Shortly after I got the car I enquired at the part counter what the dealer cost was on the struts. Well when my heart started beating again I had already decided I didn't want to keep that car very long. A couple of months later it showed up at my cousins again, brought in by its next owner with the same problem. One thing that always gave me the heebeejeebees about those cars were the engines, one was a 4.5 litre and the other a 4.9. I was always checking to see if the oil was turning into moca

luvoldcaddybuthate03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '79 coupedeville, '79 sedandeville '03 deville POS

I'll owned 3 caddy's in my life, 2 '79's and a '03. The old devilles were just fantastic (lost both to crashes, both bad, but I walked away just fine! large MASS=SAFTETY) the 2003 deville however is just handsdown the BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT I HAVE EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE TO OWN! Bought it from dealer in 2007 with 28000 miles, with a short warrenty. Didnt buy longer one (mistake!). 2 weeks out of this warrenty the car, at wierd times, does'nt start. The starter would engage the flywheel for 1 or 2 seconds then slip and grind! Took it to the GM caddy dealer (trip #1), was told it was bad battery, and had it replaced. Trip # 2 (the next day) told it was the key, had new one made. Trip # 3 (two days after #2) was told key switch was bad, so had it replaced. (all this was coming out of my pocket for a car I had for 2 months). Trip #4 told starter and flywheel needed replaced and that will be $2500 please! At this point I flipped right the F@#K out and called them exactly what they were, RIP OFFS! Manager had car looked at again and, low and behold, the security system needed reflashed! ($120). That fixed that problem (for a while) next to go was the driver side heated seat, then the ac, then the brakes (new rotors at 43000 miles and again at 58000, and again at 72000)> all this time this piece of shit was burning oil like no tommorrow (try about a gallon every 3000 miles) dealers all said this was normal!! Then at 81000 miles, despite all the hi-tech shit this thing was supposed to do to prevent it, it overheats and blows a head gasket! or maybe the head gasket blew and made it overheat, doesnt matter! And i read on this site that this is common!!!! and they knew about it since 1994 and did nothing about it??? NO WONDER GM WENT INTO THE SHITTER!!! I will never buy another cadillac again (unless it's a real nice pre n*)!!!

DanHDman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

sounds like you got s lemon there, that sux.

DanHDman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

My parents had caddies when i was a kid. 1958, 1960 and 1964. they were all good cars but the 64 had the most screwed up AC in the world. It always worked fine unless you really needed it on a hot ass day. Then it would just blow hot air. They never could get if fixed and traded it on 1967 Electra 225. Man that car was sweet. White exterior with black vinyl top and black leather interior. big 455 engine. I've had a 1967 couple that ran like a top. 1992 Sedan De Ville that was a great car, bought it with 65k and sold at 103. It had a few problems but that 1000 dollar extended warranty paid for itself 3 times over. I just bought a 2003 DTS black on black. Had 80k when i bought it and a new Jasper engine with 3 year 100K mile warranty. Love it so far but it's only been 3 weeks. we'll see

Finkle1359 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS, 1996 Deville

I've had two, a 92 sts and my current one, a 96 Deville. really liked the sts. I had it a 183,000 miles when I acquired from an old lady who really didn't know how to take care of it. The tranny wouldn't engage after a stop, it would just rev until it either clunked into gear or you put it into neutral and back to drive. I knew it had trannmission problems when I bought it, it leaked out a lot of fluid, looked like someone was murdered on her driveway.
    I thought I could fix it, and I always wanted to own a caddy, so I got it against my better judgment. I put some Transtune stuff from seafoam in there and that did the trick with the engaging, plus I changed the transmission filter and fluid and it ran good for a month or two. Then I ended up doing the head gaskets on it because it was burning anti-freeze (turned out to be the intake manifold gaskets, but I didn't find out until I pulled the heads off. First time for me doing something like that, I learned a lot.) Got it all back together, would not run. Took it apart, I bent a push rod, must not have seated it correctly. Got a new one, good to go. Then the tranny decided that it wanted to start slipping in all gears, so I could not accelerate unless I would manually downshift. ended up trading it for a bike after all of that work. But with 187000 miles I feel that it had a good run.

I ended up getting the 96 deville next, I knew I wanted a caddy, and the deville was a steal for $700. Only 121,000 miles. It has the P741 code where the torque converter does not lock up, but the tranny fluid smells good and is not burned so I assume it has not overheated. I am going to change out the fluid anyway to see if that helps the problem (probably will not, but I have to try) The other code does not appear and I did the brake test, and the torque converter does not lock up. But still the engine is only at 2100 rpms at 70mph, which seems good to me. Thee are a couple minor body problems with it, but nothing a little bondo can't fix. I have grown to love my Deville which I first thought of as only a car that old men drive around at 10 miles under the speed limit. The 275hp Northstar gets it going when I want it too. I am hoping that this one will go as long as my last Caddy did. My favorite feature is the digital dash, I would like to one day, put analog gauges down below the cigarette lighter pull out tray so I can get all of the information at a glance, but there is something about an all digital dash that screams elegance to me.

north454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS

I have a 2003 DHS with practically every option available including Night Vision.

It certainly does ride nice, but I'll never buy another one, just too many irritants.

Who knows, perhaps I got a lemon ?

CaddySam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan Deville

Hi there, Ive been driving a 92 deville for 6 months, including a lot of high speed night time mountain driving in central idaho. WOW! I love this car. I paid way too much, I figured a low mileage caddy was worth 4k. Whoops. 76k when i got her, 84k now. Have replaced the water pump and the oil pump. The AC doesnt work, and the compressor kicks on every single time i turn her off. A bit sqeuaky on the left strut, but I did drive her on a lot of washboard forest roads. Does Amazing in the snow, everyone else is sliding all over the parking lot, but I get out of there smoooth. My grandmother owned an 82 deville, in great shape with 80k on it, not one problem for 3 years, and for some reason, she sold it and the new owner has it Parked, never driving it. My favorite part about this car is the 4.9 v8. Sounds so sexy, lots of guts. When my oil pump went out, I had to drive uphill for 50 miles to get back into town. The mechanic has no idea how she made it with NO oil in the engine. A Lucas treatment and two oil changes in 3k, and shes still running like a top, engine-wise. This thing is durable, if it puts up with my driving, lol!

groucho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham

*moved*

QuadLazer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

I drive a 92 Deville. I have only owned it for a few months, and thus far it's had ups and down, but overall I love it. It's got a little over 110 k miles on it, but for an older car that's really not bad at all. Parts are pretty expensive for the cars, but they seem just as durable as any other car. The premium gas only is a drawback, but honestly I clock mine at around 20+ mpg on the highway, so really it's not that bad. Had to replace the fuel pump, gas tank, belt tensioner/idly, and tires so far since I've had it, and I also need to replace the brakes soon and it also needs some paint touchups, AC work (the heat works great though thankfully), and new brakes pretty soon... With the few problems I've had to fix, though slightly irritating, I only paid a little over 2 grand for the car, so really I personally think I got a decent deal in the long run.

Good cars, but probably not the car for someone who doesn't want to spend a tad on parts and labor. But all matters aside there is no smoother ride... I plan on keeping this car for a very long time, and probably going to buy a new one when I can afford it.

Cadillac_Devil_X is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Deville Sedan

These cars are one of kind, seriously... when I have more time, I will post my experience.

CherryBomb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Deville

Havent had my 95 deville long...so far so good. Feel like a king driving it

acditchbanger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Love to hear all the postive comments! I was starting to get worried. I have an 00' deville base, Never owned a Caddy. Got it for a good deal I think 4500 out the door car is flawless and owned by some old folk 113,000 miles, But so far a pleasure to drive havent got enought miles to comment on quilty. But its like driving a 275 hp lazyboy down the road

Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

I drive a mint 1990 Sedan Deville and I absolutely love it. I did have a rare experience where the block was leaking coolant in non-fixable location...I had to find a replacement engine so I went used...Found one with 45,000 miles on it with a warranty for 450 dollars (not including shipping). Other than that i havent replaced anything and everything works properly. My advice is to look around before you purchase one because its possible to find one in every shape and condition. As of right now I paid $2800 for the car, but now have dropped around 1400 on an engine and labor but it was well worth it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.