Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; same story as brad on my 95 deville, had a sh*tpot of problems before it was passed down to me, ...
    Lithorian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 Liter, 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0 Liter

Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

same story as brad on my 95 deville, had a sh*tpot of problems before it was passed down to me, and after the problems were sorted out around 50k the car has run on the new parts to 150k and still running strong (revised parts perhaps?) lol, anyways, i love this car, been real good to me, even with a severely messed up starter it still starts every time i turn the key!

96DEVILLE2LOW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

my 96 deville has been ok for now i got it for 3000 almost a year ago with a new tranny from the dealer and a radiator , the battery was stock and the cable i had to replace that with new one from the dealer (150 bucks) , and a optima battery , and currently my traction light ,abs light , and service ride control are on, for now its only been minor things , im about to get some 14 x 6 daytons and 5th wheel for the trunk ill have some pics soon

minnesotamom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DEVILLE

I have a '96 DeVille and I love it. Bought it for $2500 with 147,000 miles on it almost two years ago. It now has almost 170,000 miles and has just started having problems....bad shocks, codes popping up. I've had to replace the battery, brakes, the fuel pump and put on tires. The engine still runs great..and even when it was 20 below last week and my car had sat outside all night it started right up. The exterior is just starting to get a couple of little spots of rust (going to try my hand and doing some touch up painting this summer) and the leather interior looks virtually show-room new.
    Maybe I'm biased because my last few cars were Fords (as in "fix or repair daily") and I had to get new transmissions/head gaskets/engine mounts about as often as I had to add washer fluid, but even at almost 170,000 my DeVille has been the best car I've ever owned. I'm planning on driving it until I can't any more and then I'll buy another.

dann2901 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 Fleetwood Coupe Deville

I rescue a 89 coupe deville (Fleetwood) from a second owner's son, with 170 thousand miles on it. I manage 30 thousand miles, Before replacing motor and trans. Knowing about caddy I know what I,m in for I guest it,s the love of the car. (Too say I,m restoring the whole car). Pictures to come later.

d5rdon512 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 sedan deville

i owned a 84 4100 had absolutely no power transmission went out at 130,000 miles Got my fathers 1994 deville in 2006,he bought it in 2002 with 48,000 miles on it,The car came with receipts for new air condenser and compressor,and new idler pulley and belt.While he owned it he put on new power steering pump,new alternator{no big deal},new radiator.power window motor[2]and power door locks fixed twice also radio quit working,now the headlights dont work.Car is a beautiful white with a blue classic top and camel interior,Vogue wheels and tires,it now has 86000 miles.The ride is very smooth no rattles no wind noise and very good acceleration.I inherited this car while my sister law got the new focous because he new she wouldnt be able to handle all the headaches.Over all I love this car,but if you arent mechanically inclined caddys are way to expensive to maintain.I have had three trans ams[latest being a 2000],no problems.I just think there is to many electrical problems to be reliable

31415926 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

I think 98 deville is very reliable. It's over 250k miles now. I replaced the blower motor, EGR Valve, alternator. The OEM wheels didn't hold air well at 220k.
    2 years ago, I installed a hitch and tranny cooler with fan then pulled a 2-ton trailer from Chicago to San Diego. I had to replace front rotors because the towing but only cost around $40 for parts with the help from people in this forum.
    Powerfull car. I like it.

aussiev8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville '98 (127000)

I have only had my 98 Black Deville D'Elegance for about 10 months. I did not think I would like the car at all. It was to be my winter car, front wheel drive and traction control meaning it fit my need. Surprise surprise was the Northstar engine. Smooth and unexpected performance.

So now I enjoy driving it, even around town, on the open highway it is a dream. Comfortable, big easy driving and a super BOSE sound system. Around town I was getting 18 MPG and on a recent move from southern Indiana to Denver, the long way via Memphis, with half of my belonging loaded in it returned 26 MPG with full A/C operating. Fabulous.

I have replaced the rotors ($180 which included four wheel balance and alignment). It was using coolant and I was told it was the head gaskets. $2200 ouch. But then I met another Deville owner and he suggested I try adding some $4 coolant leak, after a couple of weeks flush the system and add more coolant leak when refilling. It worked for me, four months and four thousand miles later it has not used a drop.

Brakes are the weakest component to me but I no longer feel the need to race my cars everywhere.

I am going to add a K&N air filter or similar next, maybe a after market exhaust.

I would get another Cadillac in a heart beat.

King Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Mercedes-Benz E420

I'm 23 and got my first Cadillac in May, a 2000 Deville. My dad had bought a Deville a few months prior, and all it took was driving it once to know I wanted one. This is hands down the smoothest car I have ever driven or ridden in..far superior to BMW and Lincoln and other cars that are also smooth. I usually feel like I'm on my couch when I'm driving. The acceleration is unbelievable too, and the car never shakes no matter how fast I go.

Mr. '92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4.9L

I have a 1992 DeVille with a 4.9L engine. It has 142,000 miles on it. It is a great car. You can cruise, but if you have to, you can punch it. I have random little problems with the car from time to time, but they are easy and cheap to fix. The engine itself has never had a problem and runs great.

sly caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Sedan Deville

I have had three Lacs in the last 5 years. My first was a 1987 Seville. I really loved this car as it had flawless looks. After all those years the seats, interior and exterior were like new. It was a great car, but people kept telling me about the 4.1 liter engine I had in it. I purchased the care with only 95k on it. She never left me stranded....ever! Although after about 8 months of ownership it started to have surging problems and had a horrible metallic ticking problem. No mechanic wanted to touch my 4.1, so I dumped her for a 1994 Deville which I still have. She was bought with 143,000 miles and is about the cleanest all original Caddy you will find from that year anywhere. She has had troubles though due to the mileage. I now have 204k on her and she still runs extra smooth, but I have replaced, ps pump, starter, alternator, battery, tensioner pulley, transmission had to be rebuilt, and also replaced water pump. I have tried to have leaks patched numerous times even through the dealership, but after about a year she is leaking again. Oil all over the driveway. I love my car, but these things cost a grip to keep up. Speaking of high maintenance I also had a 1999 STS for a year. What a lemon!!! This car was the most beautiful Caddy a man could ask for, but was basically a clean piece of shi*! I bought it with 82k and the fuel pump, fuel rail, ac compressor, ac blower motor, battery, and radiator all had to be replaced. Not only that, but I eventually blew a head gasket. all this in one year. Whomever had it b4 me, didn't love it thats for sure. Had they kept it up, i might still have her today. I traded her for a Chrysler 300 Limited.

bross765 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

I have a 98 DeVille, I'm the second owner. I was very interested in this car because I always heard how dependable the 4.6 Northstar's are.
    So I must admit I'm more than a little disappointed to find out of the major engineering problem with heads and head gaskets. I would think GM would stand behind these motors since it was there mistake. I love this car in every other aspect. Now I need to make a important decision, do I junk it, fix it, or have someone else fix it ($3,000.00). It's a beautiful car and it just makes me sick.

ltmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thumbs up Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

I currently own 3 Devilles, two 2003 and one 2004. All have more than 100k miles on them and are all running strong. Every one of them has had new intake plenums, multiple window regulators, coolant recovery tanks on both 2003's, power steering pressure hose on both 2003's, multiple brake jobs and rotors, along with the regular periodic maintenance. In my opinion, these are by far the best used car bargains out there today (especially since they tend to depreciate like crazy so used ones can be found extremely cheap), and as long as you have some basic mechanical ability they tend to be great cars. If you have to take your Cadillac to the dealer every time something goes wrong, than you may want to buy something else, as most dealer visits for even minor repairs can run $500 and up. The Northstar engines will run forever if you change the oil, the transmissions are bulletproof (except for the TCC solenoid) and most parts are available in the aftermarket for a fraction of what Cadillac charges. Also the factory paint still looks great even after 100k miles, and the leather interior wears like iron. So all in all, my family continues to be very impressed with the Cadillac Deville and I strongly recommend them!

sccutler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville; 1976 Fleetwood Eldorado Cabriolet

I had a 1990 Sedan Deville, sold it to my brother in law (I know, really?) at 180k miles, and he sold it at 240k miles, still running strongly.

I now drive a 2001 Deville (bought it new), has 107k miles, drives and looks great. Committed to Caddy (also have a '76 Eldo cabrio).

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

I've owned a bunch of Caddys, My 1st caddy was an 83 Coupe, I had an 81' Eldo a 90' Coupe Deville & a 97' Deville Concours. I think my favorite was the 90 Coupe. I loved that car. The 97' was really nice, But it had a ton of suspension issues, I replaces tie rods front & rear Struts & springs.

I had it for 4 years & put about 35,000,miles on it.
    At this point in my life i'm done with these cars. They are expensive to maintain & my tastes have changed.

NCDaveD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

Bought a 2003 DeVille w/17k miles on it in 2004 (rental unit) as a "certified car". Water pump gasket replaces in 06 (under warranty), battery replaced in 07 (my $), transmisson relay replaced in 08 (Trans also rebuilt at this time.. all under warranty), Driver side window regulator replaced in 08 (warranty), and now CKP sensors at my cost (about $400). Overall, much lower cost of ownership than other auto's I've owned, but thank heavens for that warranty!
    Currently getting about 24 to 25mpg overall average, great ride with a touch of vibration (on and off) starting at 65 mph up to about 75 mph. This is my first "luxury" car, and have owned Hondas, a Ford, a BMW, a Mitsubishi, a Chevrolet, Dodge pickups and two Chryslers. All kept at least 5 years, most 10 or longer. Caddy currently has 96K miles.

Also, last year, I hit a tree that had fallen into the road, and crossed 4 lanes of a 5 lane highway. I saw it too late to brake, so swerved and hit the last 10' of the top of the tree, right in line with the windshield and pillars, and at 30mph. The tree BOUNCED off the front pillars, up and over the car, and back down in front of the car behind me, which hit it and stopped. Damage to my car... removed right hand mirror, cracked windshield (still driveable), 2 small dimples in the windshield pillars, a scratch on the passenger side window molding and that was it! Cost to fix...$1000, just the amount of my deductable. I had 3 passengers, and we ALL were simply amazed at how little damage was done conidering the force of the impact. This car is BUILT! (and I think someone was looking out for us!)

NCDaveD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.