Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Even being a Cadillac, I'll stick with trusty Nissan. With only 62,000 miles, my Caddi has needed the A/C replaced, ...
    Spreng is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Even being a Cadillac, I'll stick with trusty Nissan. With only 62,000 miles, my Caddi has needed the A/C replaced, new front rotors and calipers, new upper radiator hose, new transmission fluid cooler, and the EGR is throwing code P048 (not to mention it sounds like a washing machine!). I know for a fact it hasn't been abused because my mother bought it new!

My other car is a '93 Nissan 240sx with 141,000 miles. It's need a clutch, A/C recharged, and the catalytic converter is clogged. It has had half as many problems with twice the mileage! The fit and finish is also a ton better...

American cars just aren't the same. Big quality difference.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
    If you're still reading Scott LymanSS - Hello, remember me????

I have a 1993 Sixty Special, and it's a fabulous car. Outside of blowing one of the electroluminescent "C" pillar crest lights (2 times) I have never had a gripe or a problem. Granted, car has 9,400 miles on it, but it was money well spent. I have never warmed up to the 1994 - 2003 style, but am hopefull the next re-design will be more to my liking. The CTS is growing on me, however.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Spreng
    Even being a Cadillac, I'll stick with trusty Nissan. With only 62,000 miles, my Caddi has needed the A/C replaced, new front rotors and calipers, new upper radiator hose, new transmission fluid cooler, and the EGR is throwing code P048 (not to mention it sounds like a washing machine!). I know for a fact it hasn't been abused because my mother bought it new!

My other car is a '93 Nissan 240sx with 141,000 miles. It's need a clutch, A/C recharged, and the catalytic converter is clogged. It has had half as many problems with twice the mileage! The fit and finish is also a ton better...

You need to read an interesting thread under the "Non-Specific Discussion" called "Cadillac Vs Other Manufacturers." We had a large discussion about Cadillac quality, etc.

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thumbs up Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

The only things that I would change about my 1990 DeVille (that I can think of at least) would be to have a non-Bose AM/FM/CD option and have an adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat (an air bladder system would be sweet).

Emerald is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 1995 Sedan DeVille, I bought it pre-owned with very low mileage given the year I bought it. They are all highway milage as the car is local, and we are in a very rural area. I paid $6000 for it. You could not ask for a smoother ride, or a better running vehicle. It's very roomy and perfect for my family. My husband is very tall and I have two children. I no longer have to hear about a cars lack of head room, leg space etc from my husband, or listen to my kids complain about leg space and cramping. (That alone is worth the purchase lol). Everything electronic works. Everything is holding up (meaning pieces aren't coming apart, leather is excellent etc). I do hear that clicky noise some of you mentioned once in a while. I wondered what it was. Nothing major I see. The car is very quiet. No road noises or tire humming can be heard inside the car. I love the climate control panel too.

I had my car about three months when a beast of a truck slammed into the back corner of it. I can not believe how little damage it had. That's impressive to say the least.

I could've lived without my heater core problem, and I could live w/o the fact that the transmission already has problems, but overall I am happy with my car.

I also want to mention I live in an area where icy roads and snow are a problem, and last month I finally got to see how this car would handle it.
    Well it handled it with no problems. That is a huge plus for me and anyone else who lives in areas where road conditions are a problem.

I was also amazed as the gas milage this car got. 22.4 MPG is excellent for a car this size. I recently lost some MPG but that's more than likely a sign that I need to tune her up when I get her back from the Tranny shop.

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a 1990 Sedan Deville that was owned by my late stepfather and that I purchased from my mother. I have more details about it in my introduction in the new members section of the board. Suffice to say that it has most available options with the exception of the winter package, sunroof and remote locks.

The car is in remarkable shape for it's age, although not what I would call "pristine", just this past week the car turned over 50,000 miles. It has been well maintained but not to the letter of the maintenance schedule, which I am trying to correct the more obvious or pressing items in somewhat of a priority order.

The maintenance I have performed so far:

New gas charged hood springs- both had leaked and would not hold the hood open. Do yourself a favor and get replacements at your local Pep Boys or whatever. They are super easy to replace and the equivalent part is about half of what your GM dealer will charge you.

Re-Glue dash pad above speedometer- Apparently this area gets hot on sunny days in a closed car and the area had basically delaminated. Super easy to fix with some silicone based glue and clamps. Instrument cluster looks so much better now. Only bad part is that I had to take off the entire upper dash pad to fix it but it was not hard just time consuming.

Replace front stereo speakers- While I had the dash pad off I checked the front speakers which seemed weak. As you might have guessed they were rotted from the sun. I put a set of Kenwood KFC-4675C 2-way speakers in as a replacement and although the sound quality difference isn't dramatic, it is noticeable. The speakers were a perfect fit and the only problem was the connectors which I took off of the OEM speakers and soldered to the spade-type connections on the Kenwoods.

Replace steering wheel- Apparently this is a common problem with this series of Deville. I found a matching color wheel that had been repaired on eBay and swapped out the original wheel. It was an easy swap and the only real issue was disarming the air bag which is covered in both Chilton's guide and the Helm shop manual for this car. If you follow the directions it is no big deal. With the new wheel the interior looks 100% better.

I did a few upgrades such as replace the air filter with a K&N, Sylvania SilverStar headlamp and turn signal bulbs, etc. as well as the usual radiator flush, lube and oil change.

Front Strut replacement- the front struts were almost totally gone when I got the car and replacing them with Monroe-Matic struts has helped the overall ride quality a great deal. No more wallowing and diving under braking now.

Up to the point of buying the Deville I have owned mostly smaller cars with the exception of a 1967 Olds Cutlass wagon, which was one of the best cars in terms of overall utility that I have ever had.

It's a bit of an adjustment driving and being seen in a Cadillac. The Deville is much larger than my other "driver", which is an Accord Sport Coupe, and because of that the handling and performance is totally different. The Deville's 4.5 L V8 has a lot of punch- nearly as much as my 1969 GTO. The automatic is smooth and does the job well. The only issue with the engine is a very very slight hesitation from a dead stop which my natural reaction is to apply a bit more gas and then the car "catches up" and jerks forward. It is likely that I just need to be a bit smoother with the gas pedal! As others have noted the big Cads don’t stop on a dime and as such, the driver needs to think forward into traffic a bit more than a smaller car.

Overall the Deville is comfortable and rock solid now that the maintenance it needed has been completed. I recently bought a used set of the wood veneer interior trim from a 1990 Fleetwood to update the interior appearance. The Deville fake "wood" is not bad but the Fleetwood trim is noticeably richer in appearance.

Also I plan to put an FM-modulated CD changer in the trunk to the existing "Symphony Sound" AM/FM/Cassette which is fine other than not being able to play CD's. I had considered buying a Bose head unit and all new Bose speakers but this idea was off the charts cost-wise. The upgraded front speakers (possibly rears if they are damaged when I examine them during the process of installing the CD changer) and CD changer will have brought the sound system up to modern specs and that's the only thing that I can honestly say that the car is lacking.

The interior volume is massive and the back seat passengers have almost as much leg room as a limo. I must say that the passenger and luggage "packaging" for this series of cars is outstanding.

As others have said, these cars dont hold their value for some unknown reason, and if you can find a low-mileage example it's not unusual to pay less than the price of two good men's dress suits. About a "Cleveland" as the rappas say.

People who don't have a clue about the age of cars think mine is only a couple of years old and I get the odd complement which is fun. An older woman stopped me the other day and commented how "elegant" that the car looked.

Final analysis is that a good used early 1990's Deville gives a lot of Bling Bling for not much Ching Ching.

MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

ChiMick

your post is very helpful. Im thinking of taking possesion of my Fathers Caddy. He asked me to come and get it. Im iffy because I never hear anything good about them. {I dont here anything bad either.} His {well soon to be mine} is a 91' Deville, Mileage I dont know. I think its pretty hi though (100,plus) because Its been driven from Nc to New York and on other trips. I think most the miles are local though. he lives in NC and Im in Atlanta. I usually Drive an Acura Legend so it would be a change as you have made having the Honda. what im looking to know is, is it expensive to upkeep? I know not 1 single thing about Cadillac and what type of problems will I be obtaining .

7.0,hellyeah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Talking Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

I took a '79 deville on its first trip since 98'. Dang that thing felt huge. I dont know if the linkage was rusted or something, but once it got up to speed there was no stopping it. I don't know how much HP the 79' V8 7.0L has, but it was plentiful.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

I just posted some info in my "introduction" thread over in that forum, but I'll add a little here. I traded my 93 Suburban with 139K miles on it for my '99 Deville in August of 2001 - hadn't really planned on a Caddy, per se, but wanted something smooth, comfy, big enough for my golf foursome, and had a bit of zip to it - I looked at things like new Merc Marquis', a couple of Lincolns, etc etc. Then just saw this Caddy at a big tent sale and went for it.

Mostly pleased, apart from the repairs noted in my intro thread. The car is quiet as a church mouse, I get about 22 mpg on average with a combination of suburban/highway/around town driving. I have a 30 mile R/T commute to work in AC every day. On a trip to Florida via I-95 in May of 2002, I got about 26 or 27 mpg at a rather steady 75-80 mph, with the AC on full blast, so I really can't complain about that.

There are no squeaks or rattles at all on the car (not counting the brake sensors that just came on..lol) and everything electrical works like a champ.

The only nagging problem that I just haven't beaten up the dealer about enough is the electrical problem in the front that causes the Traction Control to kick in about 7 out of 10 starts from a dead stop - and about 3 out of 10 times, the ABS/TC lights come on the DIC. I've read that this is a "known problem" with electrical interference in the front wheel, and that it can be fixed with a wiring harness change, but like I said, I haven't pushed my friendly local dealer often enough to get them to fix it.

Quiet, fast, good mileage, comfy as a Laz-e-boy, and relatively reliable. What more can I say....

Jim

cadillacdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cool Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Spreng

some new american cars arn't the same(the cadillac not being one of them) but my 77 has had one problem the starter went out for the first time at around 135,000 miles. she'll beat any Nissan or other jap crapper car on the road old american big blocks are the only way to go.

tenmark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I have a 1990 Sedan Deville too. I lost my job recently, and so had to jettison my DTS car payment for something I could afford cash. And it's been everything to me that I need right now.

It's a true low mileage one owner "grocery getter" and everything works. It's surprising, but it's true. At 80K, it runs famously. And the interior is immaculately clean - looks new. The paint is slightly faded on the roof, but with this car, what you see is what you get. I would take those kind of problems over mechanical issues anyday.

It has the impressive dark blue exterior with the dark blue leather interior.

It is, however, one of the most stripped down version of these cars I've ever seen, no twilight sentinel, no power passenger seat, etc. And the radio didn't work when I bought it. That was no problem, though, I swapped it out with one from the local junk yard for $12.00.

I also did the wood interior upgrade replacing the tops of the door panels and the dash trim with the real wood veneer from a 60 special. I also thought about replacing the steering wheel, as it shows slight wear, but instead opted to sew on a leather cover I bought on ebay - and it looks fine.

I would prefer the 4.9, but the 4.5 moves along alright. I mean, it's serving my purpose right now.

I learned to drive on a 1964 Sedan Deville, and took a 1979 Sedan Deville as my first car over a 1964 1/2 Mustang. I later owned a 1979 Coupe Deville, 1984 Coupe Deville, 1985 Seville, 1989 60 Special, 1994 Fleetwood Brougham, and 2001 DTS.

I like the Fleetwood Limited but prefer the Concours interior. I'm thinking my next car will be a Limited with a few Concours upgrades. I still like the LT1 Fleetwood Broughams too. Who knows what's next.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

I own a 1995 Deville I bought with one previous owner with slightly less than 100k miles on it. I was sold when one of my employees let me drive his 93 seville. I couldn't believe there this car was not only big and luxurious, but fast. My car hasn't really let me down majorly until recently. Here are the few things that have gone wrong with the car:

1. When I got it the rear door cigarette lighters didn't work, the seat belt indicator went nuts, and the door chime had a mind of it's own. Took it to a shop and found out there had to be a short blowing the fuse that controlled all those things. What a pain because the first junction box was behind the electronic display. We had to lower the steering column, remove the whole front dash and the electronic display to find all those wires were hopelessly melted and fused together to separate . The culprit seemed to be that the previous owner must have tried to use a microwave or hairdryer and when the fuse blew, just stuck a higher amp fuse in the fuse box. We cut out all that gunk and rewired everything and haven't had a problem with that since.

2. Started hearing a squeaking noise from the engine and I took it to a mechanic shop. Said my serpentine belt was loose and put a new one on. That problem fixed but...

3. I guess the tightness of the new belt caused the bearing in my a/c compressor to go out. The compressor siezed while I was driving and cooked my brand new belt open. I was getting ready to go to Iraq so I needed a quick fix to keep driving and would get the compressor fixed when I came back. They put on a belt that bypassed the compressor.

4. I come back from Iraq ready to replace the belt, compressor, receiver/dryer?, and orifice tube. Put everything on and the a/c worked for about one day and stopped blowing cold air. Seemed obvious that I was leaking freon but couldn't figure out where the leak was at. Finally found out that the compressor was doing the leaking. Replaced the compressor but a/c still doesn't work. It's pretty hot here in Virginia

5. I keep getting a message that says "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL". I took it to a Cadillac dealership and they say the computer registers no code for that error. The only thing on the Cadillac website suggests is to replace some ride control module that costs $1000. It doesn't seem to affect my driving so I'll wait until I get a bonus or something.

6. The baffles in the muffler went out so now my car sounds like a Roush Mustang. No big deal because that was the motivation I needed to go ahead and get dual exhaust put. I think I'm going to put a resonator in because I have a hard time hearing my stereo at speeds faster 45 mph. (I have 2 15" subwoofers in a custom enclosure, so it is pretty loud)

7. The engine stays wet with oil all the time but doesn't seem to cook off and it doesn't drip either. I was told that that was the norm for american made engines. The mechanic said that I could get a Jasper engine replacement for $5000 (that includes the pumps and hoses and labor) but it would probably start leaking again after about 30k miles. I don't notice any drop in my oil levels.

8. The car would pull to the left as I drove and even more noticably when I accelerated. One of the motor mounts had went out and I had that replaced. Still pulls slightly to the left now even after balancing and alignment but not enough to wear on my tires.

Enough on the negative stuff. This engine is punchy. I have no problem holding my own on the highway or in the city. The leather seats are nice, just wish they didn't start to feel like vinyl now. Regular maintence has kept the engine running smooth which is what counts. The color scheme is beautiful and still looks brand new after nearly ten years. It's a bright red with small metallic flakes and beige ragtop. I get compliments from people on it all the time. I put custom 20x8.5 rims which barely fit with 35 size tires. The interior is a mansion. I'm sad to see that new Cadillacs gave up all that space for new technology. I owned a 97 nissan sentra before this car and I don't know how I drove a car with such small legroom. Sorry Japan, I'll take cruiseship over a kayak anyday. I keep my seat all the way back and people who ride in the back never complain about legroom. Even if the engine blows, I'd rather replace it than buy any other car. Unless it's a big body cadillac :coolgleam

grilco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium

Started out with a 1990 Lincoln Continental. Had nothing but trouble. It did not take long for me to realize to get rid of it. So I saw a 1994 Caddy Eldorado - Black/Black (loaded to the max) at a local dealership and bought it. Needless to say I was thrilled. I kept the car for six years and can honestly say it was one of the BEST cars I ever owned.

Sure I had a few things go wrong but what car doesn't. I had the following replaced (all under warranty as I believe in having a warranty). The water pump went and the computer board (pcm). Other than that just things like the power antennae, window molding, visor clip, auto door lock and the drains to the sunroof so I was told.

I decided it was time to move on. Having been happy with the Eldo, I decided I wanted to stay with a Caddy. I bought a brand new 2004 Cadillac DTS black/black with every option except Night Vision. I didn't want the night vision. The car is AWESOME. Unfortunately I do have one gripe and that is the interior. For the money paid the interior seems a bit somewhat cheap. Now don't get me wrong I love the leather seats, the dash etc.

Whats cheap to me are the Visors, the Console, Seat Belt Locks and a wee bit too much plastic. I guess it's just little things that bother me. I guess I got spoiled with my Eldo as the interior seemed much stronger all the way around. I do realize manufacturers cut corners to save money. But for Pete's sake not at the price we pay for a luxury car.

The ride in the DTS is nothing but OUTSTANDING! Ultra Smooth and Powerful. Very Quiet (although there is a little wind noise in the driver side door window) If I move the window down a notch noise goes away. Gas mileage in the city is nothing to brag about, but I do a lot of stop and go. Highway mileage no complaints as it is much better.

Nav, XM Radio & CD Changer superb. Love the sun roof. Integrated phone in car is fantastic. Nice option to have. Would I buy the car again? DEFINITELY. But I do hope the interior will get better.

They say the 2006 or the 2008 DTS will be the ultimate. Only time will tell but lets hope so. BTW love this forum and glad I found it.

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Scott, What did they or you do to get an extra 50 HP?
    BILL SONG
    AOL:khm3rkaliking

keithss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville DHS

I bought a 1991 CDV in April 04 with 57K on it at the time. I am impressed with the car as to the ride, comfort and quality of a 14 year old car. The car is in mint condition.

I have changed the oil with synthetic, cap, rotor, fulshed and filled the cooling system with the additive and replaced the alternator and serpentine belt.

I just took at trip from Philadelphia to Boston and back and the car averaged 27 m.p.g. at 65-70 miles per hour.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.