Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I own a 1994 Cadillac Deville 235K when I received it. This car is big and fast, just how I ...
    Krypto305 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Deville

Re: Consumer Report: What's YOUR opinion? We'd like to know...

I own a 1994 Cadillac Deville 235K when I received it.
    This car is big and fast, just how I DONT like my women. LOL
    Very comfortable, I haven't seen anyone turn their heads yet, But I feel like a boss driving it. I tell my friends its the pimp-mobile. And It has good acceleration.
    I feel like somethings gonna happen and I cant drive it anymore because of the miles, but I don't know....

billhnj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Gosh, I have owned three Cadillacs and they just have that certain something that I love. My first was 1990 Sedan DeVille. Cotillion white. I loved that car. People used to go nuts when they saw it. The only work done to it was regular maintenance like struts and shocks. Later I found an 1989 Seville which was a very elegant looking car. It was definately too small but it just had great looks. They are definitely put together and have better materials than the DeVilles. The color was Antelope (dark brown) and the interior was tan. I had to repalce the oil pan seal. The a/c was leaking so I kept having to aid refrigerant. The power antenna stopped working and the trunk pull down motor was replaced. Nothing else. Again, my biggest complaint was that it was so small on the outside. Economy cars looked huge next to it. I finally now bought a 1989 Coupe DeVille. It is all white the bottom half and the landau roof. I bought it cheap planning to fix it up. It needed a new a/c compressor, a new serpentine belt, engine and transmission mounts and a battery. It has 136000 miles when I bought (now has 146,000) it and had been sitting for awhile. The problems I just mentioned are the only ones that were not maintenance related. I had to do regular maintence stuff, brakes struts, shocks but that is normal for any car. I changed all the fluids. The car always starts instantly. If I had to yell at GM about anything it would be the lousy headliners they put in so many of there cars. They start to droop and then you have to fix them and of course being an older car, you wont get a perfect match in color. I came close though. The other real drag are the armrests on the doors. Seems like they are designed to fail. They dry out, crack, fade. Not very robust. Same for Cadillac Leather in these years. It just does not seem destined to last a life time you know? I think the rest of interior stands up well. Dashboard looks great and so do door panels. I use this as my everyday car and it is smooth and always starts. The Cadillac 4.5 and 4.9 liter engines seem to be pretty reliable. Since there is so much aluminum in the engine, Care needs to be taken with the cooling system. I mean you need to change the coolant annually and add something called LeaksBar Gold. I think any of these cars given proper maintenance will give years of service.

boulevard_yachtsman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '87 Brougham, '68 and '69 de Villes, '59 Series 62

I had a 1994 Sedan de Ville with the 4.9 that both my wife and I agree was our best car to date. Purchased in 2001, it was dark green with a caramal-colored interior, and later I added 2001 DTS rims. It was a daily driver, but always polished up. It did turn a few heads, particularly when I first bought it as that was in 2001 and most people didn't really know how old or how many miles it actually had (it looked mint). I bought it with 100,000 and drove it to 190,000 before trading it to someone for a '75 Eldorado. A person could ride or drive 10 straight hours in that thing and step out feeling fine at the end of the trip. The only real issues other than general maintenance were a starter going out around 140k, the water pump and radiator both going at the 180k mark, and going through 3 stupid blower motors. That last part was annoying, and also the most expensive, but not prohibitively so. It was just an all around nice car with enough power to put a smile on my face. It still looked great when I traded it, but it was due for quite a number of things - another blower motor, suspension all the way around, and front brakes at the very least.

After that we had a black '98 ETC that was also an excellent car, also purchased with just over 100,000 miles on it, and we also got rid of at 190,000. Driver's side window motors seemed to be the thing to go on that car, as I went through three of them during ownership. Both my wife and I loved the power that thing had regardless of how much torque-steer one had to fight to use it, but it wasn't as nice on long trips as the deVille. It also didn't have the same fit and finish in the interior as the '94 plus had more wind noise. The Bose stereo kind of made up for that, but it did seem that GM had figured out a way to cheapen up some of that stuff during those years. We couldn't complain though - after purchasing it for $8900, we sold it 5 years and 90,000 miles later for $3,000 with non-working AC in a record 10 minutes of it sitting on our front lawn (detailing makes a difference!) to some local people in town. That was 4 years ago and I still see it driving around!

Moving forward, we're back to my old obsession - Cadillac Broughams, we've had three different ones in the last four years - two fairly decent ones and one total beater. The latest, a fairly nice '87 I picked up for just $1700 last year, made a road trip from Iowa all the way to DC and back without incident earlier this year. What a great way to see the country! Anyway, I've sworn off car payments for good, so I'm not sure if I'll get back to a front-drive model anytime soon, but I've been tempted by more than one early nineties-era Caddy I've seen on Craigslist - they seem to be cheap and plentiful and since my father-in-law already has a '93 (that I'm working on tonight - plugs, wires, and 02 sensor), I may have to acquire one of my own.

clo247 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville

Growing up I always wanted a early 90's model sedan deville but as I got older never really found one that was taken care of or in good shape. Until this past august when one was traded in at the car dealership I work for and it was the find of a lifetime. A one owner car given to a grandson who didnt appreciate it for what it is, beleive it or not a 1991 cadillac sedan deville with only 41k original miles in perfect condition. Now heres the catch the sales manager said it had a missfire and that the car was losing coolant because the head gaskets were leaking and the engine was bad. Im a service tech so I popped the hood seen that it had new plugs,distrubitor cap,and wires tested the compression of each cylinder paid 500 hundred dollars took it home and to my surprise the young kid had two wires crossed switched them and put a water pump on and it runs like a dream. Since then I have put a set of 20 inch rims on it which has given me problems with the air ride rubbing in the back so I tricked the leveling sensor by extending the bracket by 2 inches which works fine until i put a passenger in the front causing the front of the car to dip down which causes the sensor to drop the rear to relevel causing the rear tires to rub the fender again. The next step i guess will be to invest in a set of rear air bags to go in between the coilsprings to keep the rear at a constant level.

blue90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Fleetwood

I've had my 90 Fleetwood fwd since August of 2000. I bought it with a blown motor. (the previous owner took it to one of those quick oil change places and they left the plug loose. It lost the oil and seized.) The car had 84,000 miles on it. I installed a 4.9 from a 92 with 90 k on it. The car now has 226,000 miles on it. I did the top end on the engine a couple years ago and replaced the injectors. The struts have been replaced. I fabricated a better front motor mount and replaced both front window motors. Other than that, tune-ups, maintenance and minor repairs are it. My wife has also had a 92 4.9 DeVille and a 99 Northstar DeVille during the same time we've had this car. Personally I like the Advanced Design cars better than the Northstars since they are less expensive to maintain and easier to work on. I can't say about rattles or noises since I live on a terrible dirt road I imagine my car's worse than one driven only on asphalt. But since I prefer to drive with the windows open..... I like the car very much. It is comfortable, drives well, and is economical for its size. My exterior is looking tired-showing the age; but the paint was very high-quality and still shines. Other than the driver's seat the interior has held up very well. In short I would say that these cars were very well made. They are readily available and usually are a good bargain. Which is one downfall. If you have one to sell, you can't get a whole lot for it. Especially a Fleetwood. The fender skirts won't allow those big silly tires that are popular today. So don't buy one with the intent to flip it. But if you want one to drive, and can find one with low-mileage that some oldster has maintained well snatch it up. You won't be disappointed.

Andrew4.9l is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Deville Touring, 1993 Seville STS

My first Cadillac was a 93 Seville STS in pearl white with 90k on the odometer that I got for a steal. I made the foolish mistake of acquiring one that wasn't well cared for. It had the first generation northstar* which most mechanics I knew didn't want to go near with a 10 ft pole. She was leaking oil, overheating, water pump was about to go, suspension was shot and only got 9-11 mpg but I still loved her regardless and took care of her as one of my own. As temperamental as she was, I won't forget about the times she did give it back. Fast forward to the isolated black 1992 DTS that sat in my buddy's garage for years with only 50k. With over 5 years of ownership and minimal issues, the 92 DTS surpasses the 93 STS in terms of quality, fit and finish and above all reliability. I believe it was around then where Cadillac was attempting to phase out the luxo-boat image in attempt to keep up with increasing competition from Japan and Germany especially. I can definitely feel the stark transition between both cars even if they have a vague similarity about them. The 93 feels very conventional and "european" while the 92 feels vintage and posh. It's safe to say most 4.9 owners will swear by its motor as being the most solid and reliable to accompany a Cadillac ever.

From my experience and humble opinion, the Northstar is like a seductive trophy wife that will eventually leave you when the well runs dry.....and the 4.9 is like the keeper that will stick with you through it all. They are great and forgiving for first time owners of the marque. If planning on getting a N*, be prepared for the upkeep. You better love that bitch because somehow I still have her.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.