1990 Deville- premium gas question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1990 Deville- premium gas question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; so if i haven't had problems with knocking, i don't need premium in my 4.1?????????...
    shredder130 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 1990 Deville- premium gas question

so if i haven't had problems with knocking, i don't need premium in my 4.1?????????

sixtires is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Boy, I'll probably start some crap here. I had an 89 Deville that I ran for seven years on regular unleaded gas I put over 190,000 miles on that car and it was still running strong when I sold it. I've run big block motorhomes, etc on regular also. It has never hurt anything as long as you don't get excessive ping. My Caddy's have never pinged on regular unleaded. IMHO, premium is a total waste of money unless your pinging your engine to death. I've run premium a few times and it has never made any "seat of the pants" difference in performance, nor has there been any increase or decrease in gas mileage.

My opinion only.

Marko

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had a pinging problem in my '94 that eventually led to pinging even with premium. Turned out to be a bad EGR valve. Since the EGR was replaced I only burn regular and haven't heard a peep out of it since. Gas mileage is still the same. I figure my anual savings at $225 by burning unleaded instead of premium... 'Course if it kills the engine then I have to go bak to economics school...

The down side to this is that some (all??) years of the 4.x engine did not have a knock sensor so the engine can not dial back the timing on its own if there is a pinging problem.

Bottom line: I wouldn't reccomend you run regular because of the potential for engine damage but I do run it in mine.

Steve B.

gman89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sixtires
    Boy, I'll probably start some crap here. I had an 89 Deville that I ran for seven years on regular unleaded gas I put over 190,000 miles on that car and it was still running strong when I sold it. I've run big block motorhomes, etc on regular also. It has never hurt anything as long as you don't get excessive ping. My Caddy's have never pinged on regular unleaded. IMHO, premium is a total waste of money unless your pinging your engine to death. I've run premium a few times and it has never made any "seat of the pants" difference in performance, nor has there been any increase or decrease in gas mileage.

My opinion only.

Marko
    89's don't need premium.

LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

had a 93 deville and turned the timing back about 3 degrees. ran great with regular!! only thing it hurt was off the line power. it was slightly slower, but not that torque a problem for you!

sixtires is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It said "premium only" on the dash. Same as the 90.

Quote Originally Posted by gman89
    89's don't need premium.

CaddyShaq is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 1990 Deville- premium gas question - explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by pink panther

Hope my explanation helps...
    Yeah, I think you were pretty informative with that one. Here is a new question though. How about running Sunoco's Ultra 94 Octane gas? Will that hurt anything? Premium is usually 93 Octane as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong please.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 1990 Deville- premium gas question - explanation...

it shouldn't hurt. I'm going to try it when i get my beast back on the road, tell me if you can see a difference.

90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

does anybody know how they make 89 octane?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.