1979 Coupe Problems - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1979 Coupe Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by ceddyb30 Ok here I go guys slowly getting there. I replaced the Carb (good thing) Car still ...
    MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 1979 Coupe Problems

Quote Originally Posted by ceddyb30
    Ok here I go guys slowly getting there. I replaced the Carb (good thing) Car still runs rough though and now I cant get a strong enough current in my system to put the electric choke on the Carb .
    What did you replace the old carburetor with? What do you mean you don't get enough current to put the electric choke on? It runs off the battery. Hook the positive wire to the positive terminal on the ignition coil and the negative wire to ground. You also might have to adjust your carb if it's new out of the box in order for it to idle right.

ceddyb30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thats the thing I went to a place where they put a rebuilt Carb on for me. Stock Carb of course. The Choke was not getting any power to it so I decided to piggy back it to something else that had power. But everytime I did it it would short out when it touched anohter metal part. The Carb guy said I did not have enuff Power to do it and needed to see a Electrical guy. Yeah I need to set the timing on it as well. Still a work in progress.[

Thats the thing I went to a place where they put a rebuilt Carb on for me. Stock Carb of course. The Choke was not getting any power to it so I decided to piggy back it to something else that had power. But everytime I did it it would short out when it touched anohter metal part. The Carb guy said I did not have enuff Power to do it and needed to see a Electrical guy. Yeah I need to set the timing on it as well. Still a work in progress.[
    13-14volts isn't enough? I think I'm not understanding a huge part of this. Mine works fine. Try hooking it up to the postive terminal on the ignition coil and ground the negative wire and tellme what happens.

ceddyb30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok I will try that but I dont know why it is not working either. On my way home from work right now my lights would dim when I hit the power windows so I think it may be my Alt. will try what you said in the morning.

Ok I will try that but I dont know why it is not working either. On my way home from work right now my lights would dim when I hit the power windows so I think it may be my Alt. will try what you said in the morning.
    Get a DMM and measure the voltage on the battery when the engine is running. Should be anywhere between 13-14 volts. If it's lower than 12, you have a problem. Then after that measure the voltage of the battery when it's off and post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.