Northstar Head Gasket Issue Corrected
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Northstar Head Gasket Issue Corrected in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; HI Guys, Just wanted to know if any one out there as any documentation as to when the head gasket ...
    Cadi Homer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar Head Gasket Issue Corrected

HI Guys,

Just wanted to know if any one out there as any documentation as to when the head gasket issue on the northstar was corrected by Cadillac. What year models have the revised Northstar engine where overheating and blown head gaskets won't be a problem. I was specifically looking for a DeVille model, but want to avoid buying a Northstar engine that might overheat. Any advice or docs are greatlty appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Northstar Head Gasket Issue Corrected

Head gaskets can be a problem on any aluminum engine. Proper cooling system maintanence it the best provention, though not a guarantee. I sold my '97 with 107K and never had a problem. Many here have much higher milage with no problems. Once in a while lightening strikes a low milage car. Shit happens. That said, I think it was 2000 that several changes where made to the Northstar, one of which was longer head bolts and a different thread pitch to strengthen the clamping force.

Cadi Homer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks Ranger

UGOTIT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2000 with a 100,000 miles with no issues.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I don't think the issue as a whole was ever 'fixed' so to speak. It's my understanding that post 2000 there were some changed made to the angle of the head bolts or thread pitch or something and some oil leak issues were addressed.

I would say don't buy pre 2000 stay with 2000 and newer.

Yes coolant maintenance is the best preventative maintenance.

irebroff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 1999

Campaign - Cylinder Head Bolt Hole Counterbore

Customer Satisfaction - Engine Block Cylinder Head Bolt Thread Holes-Deep Counterbore # 99086 - (Mar 19, 2002)
    Models:
    Certain 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora Model Vehicle
    Equipped with 4.0L Engine (RPO L47-VIN Code C)

Certain 1999 Cadillac Seville, DeVille and Eldorado Model Vehicles
    Equipped with 4.6L Engine (RPO LD8-VIN Code Y or RPO L37-VIN Code 9)

THIS CAMPAIGN BULLETIN ADDRESSES VEHICLES IN DEALER INVENTORY AND VEHICLES DELIVERED TO CUSTOMERS. VEHICLES THAT PASS THE INSPECTION PROCEDURE WILL BE RELEASED FROM THE STOP DELIVERY ISSUED SEPTEMBER 13, 1999 VIA DCS MESSAGE WIS19990023 AND WIS19990024. DEALER INVENTORY VEHICLES THAT DO NOT PASS THE INSPECTION ARE NOT TO BE DELIVERED TO CUSTOMERS BUT ARE NOT TO BE RETURNED TO GENERAL MOTORS. CUSTOMER VEHICLES THAT DO NOT PASS THE INSPECTION HAVE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS. REFER TO THE SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR DETAILS.
    Important: Cadillac customers involved in this campaign will be notified by GM beginning December 17, 1999. Oldsmobile Aurora customers involved in this campaign will be notified by GM at a later date when 4.0L engines become available.

General Motors has decided that certain 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles, equipped with 4.0L engine (RPO L47, VIN C) and Cadillac Seville, DeVille and Eldorado model vehicles equipped with 4.6L engine (RPO LD8, VIN 9 or RPO L37 VIN Y) may exhibit a condition in which they cylinder head bolts may become loose and cause coolant leaks and possible engine damage. This may be due to the engine block cylinder head bolt counterbore holes being machined too deeply into the engine block.

To prevent the possibility of this condition occurring, dealers are to inspect vehicles held under the above referenced stop delivery and those delivered to customers. Depending on the findings, the engine may not require any further repairs, may require replacement or the vehicle may need to be returned to GM.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles equipped with 4.0L engine (RPO L47, VIN C) and Cadillac Seville, DeVille and Eldorado model vehicles equipped with 4.6L engine (RPO LD8, VIN Y and RPO L37, VIN 9), and built within the VIN breakpoints shown
    Important: Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through VISS (Vehicle Information Service System) prior to beginning campaign repairs. Information for Oldsmobile Auroras delivered to customer will be loaded in VISS at a later date when 4.0L engines are available and Oldsmobile owner letters are mailed. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved]

Involved vehicles have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number. Computer listings containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data have been prepared, and are being furnished to involved dealers with the campaign bulletin. The customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow-up with customers involved in this campaign. Any dealer not receiving a computer listing with the campaign bulletin has no involved vehicles currently assigned.

These dealer listings may contain customer names and addresses obtained from State Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this campaign.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this campaign are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" prior to ordering requirements. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. An emergency requirement should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.
    Important: Due to the small number of vehicles involved, dealers are encouraged not to order campaign parts for use as shelf stock. Parts should only be ordered when inspection determines that it is necessary to replace the engine.

Customer Notification

Customers will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by General Motors beginning December 17, 1999. Oldsmobile Aurora customers will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by General Motors at a later date when 4.0L engines become available. (See copy of typical customer letter shown in this bulletin -- actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Dealer Campaign Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers 'inventory and subject to this campaign MUST be held, inspected and returned to GM if this condition exists, per the service procedure of this campaign bulletin. All unsold new vehicles in dealers' inventory and subject to this campaign MUST be held, inspected and may be released from the "Stop Delivery" order BEFORE customers take possession of these vehicles if this condition does not exist, per the service procedure of this campaign bulletin.

Cadillac customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Oldsmobile customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is not customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are not to be contacted by the dealer until the Oldsmobile customer letter and Olds Aurora dealer listing are mailed at a later date. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. This could be done by mailing to such customers a copy of the customer letter shown in this bulletin. Campaign follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, please take the steps necessary to be sure the campaign correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

Campaign Identification Label

Each vehicle corrected in accordance with the instructions outlined in this Product Campaign Bulletin will require a "Campaign Identification Label". Each label provides a space to include the campaign number and the five (5) digit dealer code of the dealer performing the campaign service. This information may be inserted with a typewriter or a ball point pen.

Each "Campaign Identification Label" is to be located on the radiator core support in an area which will be visible when the vehicle is brought in by the customer for periodic servicing. When installing the Campaign Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to allow the adhesion of the clear protective covering. Additional Campaign Identification Labels can be obtained from Dealer Support Materials by calling 1-888-414-6322 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm EST). Ask for Item Number 5-1015 when ordering.

Apply the "Campaign Identification Label" only on a clean, dry surface.

Submit a Product Campaign Claim with the information shown.

Refer to the General Motors Corporation Claims Processing Manual for details on Product Campaign Claim Submission.

RAMELL'S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a 2002 deville with the 4.6 northstar engine. Me and my friend (really good friend) have dropped the engine to do a head gasket replacment. I 've got the gaskets and new head bolts from the local chevy dealer. My Clilton book gives me no information on this engine. I am looking for the torgue pattern for headbolts.
    please Help.

Thanks Les

misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

96 N* with 82,000 miles just blew a head gasket. I don't think the previous owner knew that he had to maintain the cooling system though.

Cad tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 STS, 97 STS, 58 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by RAMELL'S View Post
    I have a 2002 deville with the 4.6 northstar engine. Me and my friend (really good friend) have dropped the engine to do a head gasket replacment. I 've got the gaskets and new head bolts from the local chevy dealer. My Clilton book gives me no information on this engine. I am looking for the torgue pattern for headbolts.
    please Help.

Thanks Les
    First Pass 30 ft. lbs.
    Second Pass + 70°
    Third Pass + 60°
    Final Pass +60°/190° Total

7 3 1 5 9

10 6 2 4 8

then the tens on the side from top to bottom 106 inch pds

Before you go any further, get a FSM from Helm Inc and use the Chiltons to soak up trans fluid from the garage floor. Are you Timeserting all 20 of the head bolt holes? If you don't, you may pull threads on reassembly if you haven't on disassembly, or they are likely to fail again in 10 - 20K.

Cad tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 STS, 97 STS, 58 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Before you go any further, get a FSM from Helm Inc and use the Chiltons to soak up trans fluid from the garage floor. Are you Timeserting all 20 of the head bolt holes? If you don't, you may pull threads on reassembly if you haven't on disassembly, or they are likely to fail again in 10 - 20K.

YA and that, thanks for saving the day once again Ranger, I assummed they knew...

Maybe they do, but there was no mention of it and I see disaster in their future, so I thought it was worth a mention.

logikal6785 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just received my 2001 Deville FSM in the mail yesterday; one thing that has me worried is a somewhat rough idle and a fair amount of oil leakage - I just last week rolled over 60K miles.

Has anyone ever purchased this kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NORTH...spagenameZWDVW
    I'm considering buying it if it will correct my oil leak situation and prevent a catastrophic engine failure - but of course I don't want to waste my money. Any input ?

That kit is about the same price as the kit from http://www.timsert.com. No experience, but personally I'd stick with the inserts and installation kit from Timesert.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Ramell, look in tech tips for the head gasket repair thread. There's a lot of info in it.

Logikal, no one on the board has used that kit. If you use it let us know how it works.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.