Heater coil?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Heater coil? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1993 Sedan Deville. The other day, I was driving down the freeway and I started to smell ...
    lowmank is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Heater coil?

I have a 1993 Sedan Deville. The other day, I was driving down the freeway and I started to smell coolant inside my car. I stopped and checked everything out and everything looked fine. Right before I got home steam started coming out of my defrost vents. I didn't drive it again until today when I needed to get to the store, which is about a five minute round trip. When I got home and out of the car, I notice that coolant had started to leak out of the car as soon as I drove into my Cul De Sac. It seems to be coming from right behind and to the side of the passenger side front tire. Does it sound like my heater coil? The car has always had cooling sytem problems but it always had to do with the radiator. It has 153k on it. Would it be worth fixing or expensive? Any input before I take it in would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Jesse

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lowmank is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Heater coil?

I meant heater core

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by lowmank
    I meant heater core
    The cores are on Ebay all the time, not too expensive. Kind of involved installing, but you should be able to get prices on the phone.
    Bob

aguthmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 1998 Seville STS, 2001 Seville SLS

Definately the heater core. Has your antifreeze been going down lately? I wonder if you don't have a blown head gasket. It causes the car to burn the coolant, then therefore be low or empty. The other effect is that engine compression is "leaked" into the coolant system, so it puts extra pressure on things like the heater core. This might've been why your core started leaking.
    Quick way to check for head gasket leak: Find your return hose from radiator (this is the thick one on top, probably driver's side, comming from radiator). Start the car up after it has cooled thoroughly, if that hose gets hard within a minute you probably have a blown head gasket. It would normally take several minutes for that hose to get firm under normal circumstances (because it doesn't get much coolant through it until the termostat opens up when the engine reaches operating temperature).

HowY is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Bear Job...

However: Vaporized ethelyne-glycol kills!

An honest and concerned warning don't drive the
    kids around in it with a failing core!

As for head gasket leaks....
    Most shops have a gas tester: it's a bulb affair with two
    chambers which hold a small amount of reactant. The
    tester sucks in some antifreeze and if any combustion
    gasses are present (chemicals change color) there are
    head issues.

Few other ways really test the existance of combustion gas
    in the water and often the water jacket will weep into a cylinder
    and not really show large loss of water or mixing of water in oil.

cheap, fast and most reliable ..02..

91fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It's more than likely that it's your heater core, both of my cadillacs go through heater cores often, i'd say it's the most commonly replaced thing on my cars, i still don't know where the hell they are though

Matthew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had to replace the core in my 94 deville a few months ago. Wasnt a bad job at all. The best thing is it only costed about $35 for the core. A few simple tools and a little bit of time and your good to go.

Very simple job. There is even a post about this very subject at the top of the page, you should check it out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.