Cadillac Owners Forum banner

05 deville coolant leak help needed...Still leak after cross over manifold

836 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a small coolant leak and I want to fix it...But I can't find the leak...The top of the transmission collects the coolant and then it leaks off of there...I did the cross over manifold as I thought it was that rear bottom gasket, but nope still leaking...Where else is common coolant leaks on these northstar engines? I have 135k on the engine and I am very mechanically inclinded so I can just about fix anything. I need some help guys...I have justed added die and am going to be driving it around but I am guessing I won't be able to find the leak, just to much stuff in the way.

#3 ·
That is what I was thinking but I just did the cross over gaskets...Boy they were a pain...I had to use rubber bands to hold the bolts in with the gaskets...then cut the rubber bands out....

The coolant is on top of the part of the transmission that holds the clutch packs, the part the extends behind and under the back head...Does the head gasket normally leak externally? there isn't much else back there except for a couple heater lines and I don't seem them leaking...I do see coolant temp sensor and harness glowing with the black light...I wonder if that quick disconnector is leaking onto the temp sensor....

#4 ·
That quick connect would be the first place I would look. I've had to do it before. It was a cheap fix... One of those "Help" parts at AutoZone. It came with the new threaded nipple and the plastic insert piece. I was surprised to find it so readily in stock on the shelf but it does fit a lot of other gm cars.

#5 ·
Behind/under part of the right (rear) head - water crossover work - My bet is on the heater piping hot water "quick connect" fitting at the right (rear) side of the crossover casting - under the EGR platform.

#15, second diagram

Click a thumbnail to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out ................

Attachments

#6 ·
Yep that is it...Funny I went out with the black light and pressured it up after your first post and just sat there for 5 min watching that fitting...yep I saw a drip...So now can you get that fitting out with out taking that whole manifold off, or can you get a new o-ring that fits inside?

#7 ·
The part is cheap and you'll have more of a headache changing out the o ring than just unscrewing the fitting. I actually tried that before! Didn't work. It would be easiest to get out with a large socket now that I think of it. I think you can fit one in that tight space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.