Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2005 deville limited gauge cluster questions

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  purelux 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2005 deville limited, I'd like to swap out the digital gauge cluster for the dhs/dts analog cluster. I'm basically wondering if this is possible, I've read online of it being done and being plug and play and worst part is getting it reprogrammed to show the accurate mileage. I've also read online that it's not possible, but the people who said that seem to be uniformed and don't really know Cadillacs. Any help would be much appreciated!!

#3 · (Edited)
==============================
I'd like to swap out the digital gauge cluster for the dhs/dts analog cluster.
the 2000 through 2004 Seville also use the same cluster -

I'm basically wondering if this is possible -
YES - BUT -
the mileage is stored in the cluster - so you have a couple choices -
find a cluster with VERY similar mileage -
most clusters posted on ebay list the mileage -

or - pay $200+ and have the correct mileage programmed onto the new cluster -
it REQUIRES a special - CERTIFIED sheedo shop -
mileage can NOT be changed by the dealer with a Tech2 scanner -

now the hard part -

the various RPO options on the car affect the cluster -
one example would be a cluster from a Seville STS or Deville DTS
are programmed to include F45 suspension -

your base Deville does not have the F45 suspension -
so you WILL have a BUNCH of codes and error messages -
including SPEED LIMITED TO 90 -

another example would be a cluster from a donor car that did NOT have the TPMS -
unless this option is added to the new cluster -
your TPMS will NOT display on the DIC -

you will have to compare your RPO's to those of the car the replacement came from -

THEN you will need to FIGHT with a GM dealer - doesn't have to be a Caddy dealer -
to convince them they CAN use the Tech2 to modify the options programmed into the cluster -

YES - you can get around this by finding the EXACT cluster you need -
one from a 2002 through 2005 Deville DHS -

OH - one more minor thing -
you will need to modify the trim around the cluster slightly -
but that's really simple to do -

#4 ·
THEN you will need to FIGHT with a GM dealer - doesn't have to be a Caddy dealer -
to convince them they CAN use the Tech2 to modify the options programmed into the cluster
he speaks the truth. It will be a fight. I've tried to have a change made for over a year, through 4 different GM dealers. Responses range from "that's not possible" to "that's not legal", neither of which is true. I just haven't found the right shop with a Tech2 yet.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the response.
Sounds like this is more of a headache then I want to deal with. I love the analog cluster but the digital is nice too. I found the appropriate cluster bezel so no trimming needed but getting a shop around my area to help me out would be a nightmare, I'm having a hard enough time finding a shop to start restoration on my 69 deville. Most place that I've taken either my 2005 or my 1969 they tell me they won't work on Cadillacs.

#7 ·
Well I'm in luck, I did find a 03 dhs cluster with mileage very close to mine for 50 bucks on eBay, the bezel is 35. Under 100 isn't bad in my opinion. I think I'm just gonna do it and install it myself. the analog is so much better looking then digital.

#12 ·
I've been reading online about the removal. Sounds easy enough, key word sounds. The only thing I worry about is removal of the A pillars. Yea me too, it is such a sharp gauge cluster. I've been disappointed with newer Cadillac clusters ever since, like sts,xlr,escalate etc. Well other then the new caddies with the lcd displays that you can change. But the cluster is a minor gripe.

#14 ·
I did this swap on my 02 base deville. I ran into the TPMS issues since my car doesn't have this and the mileage was way off. I found a local speedo shop that reprogrammed the cluster mileage for less than $100. I also traded in my working digital cluster as part of the deal. After installing, I then had the TPMS warnings, and the same shop had a full TECH2 system with laptop. He changed the TPMS in the cluster to stop the warning messages.
I will also say this is about the same time I noticed my ELC was no longer working. No pre charge after key on. Maybe it's due to the cluster looking for F45 suspension. I have a China Tech2 on order...hoping for the best

#16 ·
Well success! I just got my china made Tech2 and found that due to the new cluster an option for "Road Sensing Suspension" was still checked as active. Removing this option since my car is just a base Deville resolved my ELC (rear air compressor) from not powering up. There was also a fault code that said the leveling control lever was "out of range". I'm guessing it simply was due to my car not having F45. Hurray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.