Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2002 DTS has clicking noise in the instrument panel

21K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  basscatt 
#1 ·
2002 DTS 225,000 miles.

Whenever I start the engine, there is a clicking/tapping noise for about 5 seconds. It is coming from behind the center vent and a little to the left. I removed the radio and climate controllers, but it is behind those units and maybe above. There are things in the way, so I can't see beyond the brackets.

After playing with the climate controls, I suspect it is a damper or some unit that controls the doors in the vents. Whenever I turn the AC off, then turn it back on then there is a clicking for 5 seconds. It is about 2 -3 clicks per second. Also if I change the mode to have the air blow on the floor, then back to the vents on the dashboard, the clicking starts again.

Is there a motor that opens and closes the damper in the vents (or is it vacuum lines?) I suspect maybe the valve in the vent may be "creaking" and it sound like clicks when the door tries to move? Maybe something is gummed up or lint is on the door and causes it to get stuck, so it pops a little at a time when trying to change positions?

How hard is it to remove the top of the dashboard? If I had to guess, it seems like the noise is about 3 inches below the top of the dashboard and maybe 2 inches to the right of the fuel gage. (or maybe 6-8 inches behind the Hazard button and 1/2 way to the left towards the Instrument panel.

Any other ideas?
Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
The air flows where they are supposed to after changing settings (clicking only happens when I change settings). I am assuming it will only get worse, then break. Best to change it now when it's not too hot or too cold!

Is the actuator above the panel that is above the brakes? Then why is the noise at the top of the dashboard?

#9 ·
===============================
you need to spend a few minutes -
and isolate what is causing the noise -

there are several electrically operated actuators -
they all use plastic gears - and when the gear teeth break/strip -
they make the noise you are describing -

on that side of the dash -
it's either the MIX DOOR ACTUATOR -
that one controls the temperature of the air delivered from the vents -
and is relatively easy to replace -

the MIX door actuator is ACDELCO 1572974 - $62.76 - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016IL0GS/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

-----------------

or the MODE DOOR ACTUATOR -
that one controls where the air blows from -
and is a real pain in the butt to replace -

the MODE door actuator is ACDELCO 1572654 - $45.17 - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016IGVQM/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

------------------

the actuators are next to each other - way up under the dash -

the FSM - Factory Service Manual -
wants you to completely disassemble the entire dash -
to get to the HVAC stack -

you CAN get to the actuators from the underside -
IF you can lay on your back -
both arms above your head -
and your head wedged between the brake pedal and gas pedal -

check this out -
http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2010/12/2002-cadillac-deville-b0248-b0249-no-ac.html

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will have to get my son to listen carefully again (I have a hearing loss). He said the clicking sounds like it is just to the RIGHT side of the fuel gauge just under the top of the dashboard.

I hope that's the easy one to replace! Looks like I might be able to remove the top trim of the dashboard and access from above? Apparently there are 3 total.

#13 ·
Yes, I read #9, it just doesn't make sense to access it from WAY underneath, when 2 of the actuators are at the top (according to some diagrams I see on google and Nallygmc).

I will take a look this weekend. But for some reason, the noise did happen yesterday or today. But no worries, I know it will come back...

#14 · (Edited)
A rhythmic ticking sound coming from the area behind the radio that lasts 5 or so seconds when you first start the car... Is most likely coming from the mode door actuator that has lost a couple of its plastic teeth. The actuator runs full travel when you first start the car. Of the 3 Deville's I've owned, I've had the pleasure of changing the mode door actuator 3 times.

The "easiest" way to make sure the actuator is bad... access the mode door actuator from laying on your back on the drivers side floorboard... you will need to remove the knee bolster. Find the actuator with the big white cam as pictured in the amazon link in post #9. Remove the electrical connector from the actuator and see if the clicking stops. You can leave the connector off and turn the big white cam by hand with the HVAC blower running to redirect air out the dash, floor or defrost vents... to make sure your on the right actuator.

Warning- Do not attempt to remove the mode door actuator before studying the replacement tutorials on this board.

#15 ·
OK 00 Deville... so you are saying that I could just disconnect the mode door actuator and it will stay where ever it is? I can turn the white cam and the air will come out the floor or the vent? Does this same actuator control the Defog? I don't mind disconnecting it and turning it by hand (floor for winter and vent for summer), but I will need the defogger.

#16 · (Edited)
OK 00 Deville... so you are saying that I could just disconnect the mode door actuator and it will stay where ever it is?
Yes

I can turn the white cam and the air will come out the floor or the vent? Does this same actuator control the Defog?
The mode door actuator moves the mode doors inside the HVAC stack to redirect air out the floor, dash, or defog vents. With the connector off it should stay in what ever position you leave it in by turning the big white cam. It's a pain in the arse to access the cam to change position if you need defog, if it where my car I would change the actuator. Just make sure you study the tutorial before trying a swap out.

Here's a couple of the many threads on the subject, if you determine your actuator is indeed bad.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-including-1985/176367-2003-deville-hvac.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/211863-mode-door-actuator-fix-how.html

#17 ·
Well, it finally broke and it is stuck on vent, which is OK, but I noticed that the Defogger does not work. Does this actuator also control the defogger? Or does this mode have to be on floor for the defogger to work? I was hoping to maybe go in there and turn the wheel or whatever and make it come out the floor. if i do that will the defogger work?

#20 ·
OK, starting on this now (a little at a time), got all the covers removed. Will cut the lower vent tonight or tomorrow. then maybe Friday or Saturday try to replace the actuator.

Couple of questions...

1)O'Reilys sells actuators only, or as a kit (with the white part that turns). If I buy the actuator only, how hard is it to pry the actuator off the white part while it is in the car? I have no way of knowing since I might buy the actuator only.

2) I plan on turning on the air and make it select VENT, then disconnect the wire to the actuator so that it will not move. When I get the new actuator, what is the default setting? I hope its VENT!

#21 · (Edited)
---------------------------
O'Reilys sells actuators only, or as a kit
don't mess around -
get the genuine ACDELCO 1572654 - $45.17 - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016IGVQM/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If I buy the actuator only,
how hard is it to pry the actuator off the white part while it is in the car?
absolutely impossible - the parts are fused together -
even with the entire assembly out of the car -
they simply do NOT come apart -

When I get the new actuator,
what is the default setting? I hope its VENT!
the SAFE way is to plug in the new actuator -
turn the ignition on -
be sure the control is set to VENT -
it will go through the entire travel - and stop at the VENT position -

---------------------

I just got done changing my mode door actuator yesterday -

here is a couple tips -

connect a battery charger to the under-hood lugs -
if you don't you'll drain the battery -

a thumb ratchet is a MUST -
I used a short 5.5mm socket with a 1" wobble extension -
rather than a deep 5.5mm socket - that extra flexibility really helped -

you'll also need a 7mm socket and a 1/4" ratchet handle -

move the drivers seat to the full recline position -
lower and flatten the seat as far as possible -
move the seat as far back as possible -

remove the radio -

you can actually see the top two screws looking through the radio hole -
and reach your left hand up to the screws - while sitting on the seat -

remove the 7mm screw in the center of this pic - on the TOP - not the screw on the front -
BEFORE you cut the vent - it holds the floor vent in place -

use a small-tooth hacksaw blade - 24/inch - cut on the pull -
cut the vent in such a way to INCLUDE the hole for the temperature sensor -
obviously - remove the sensor before cutting - it releases with a 1/4 turn counterclockwise -

use aluminum duct tape to re-attach the cut-off part - it will last forever -
regular cloth duct tape will dry out and fall off in a short time -

remove the #1 MIX door actuator -
it's 2 screws and a plug - it will only take a couple minutes -
and makes things easier to see and get to -
NOTE - set the temp to 90* - so it's easy to line it back up for the install -

if/WHEN the 3 levers fall when removing the old part -
it's NOT a big deal -
here is the correct orientation in the VENT position -

the 3 tabs/buttons/pegs what ever you like to call them - need to be "close together" -
you'll understand this once you have the old one off -

the biggest problem I had was to get the levers into the slots correctly -
the defrost lever just wouldn't fall into place -

my solution was to install all 4 screws loosely -
turn the ignition ON - blower on high -
so I could be sure the heat vents were closed -
and the defrost vents were closed -

FINALLY - was able to get all the pins lined up -
and the actuator "fell" into place -

I turned the ignition off - snugged up the screws - DONE -

got the pics from this site -
http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2010/12/2002-cadillac-deville-b0248-b0249-no-ac.html

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help. Got it done in about 1.5 hours. Here is my 2 cents...

1) Cut out the lower vent with a drimmel tool. It makes a world of difference! Remove the temperature sensor and also move a couple of other wires away from the vent while cutting. These are wires that go to a couple of other actuators. You can cut the bottom and firewall side easily. But the top and side towards the driver seat needs to be cut by inserting the drimmel tool into the vent opening. When done, use aluminum tape that are used for AC vents on houses to put the vent back. Don't forget to put the temp sensor back!

2) I had nothing to lose by prying the actuator off. If it broke, then I would have to replace the whole assembly, which I thought I would have to do anyway. Pull out the radio and insert a long large screwdriver. If you look at the picture to see the angle, you get the idea. Insert the screwdriver on the bottom left side opening of the frame where you pulled out the radio. Make sure the screw driver is under the "top post" and behind the actuator only. That should get you lined up towards the rod that is blue in the picture. Turn the screwdriver COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and it should pop off. If I had to guess, it took about 5 Foot lbs.

3) Also, in an earlier post, I asked how to make sure the new actuator is aligned properly with the rod from the cam (the white part in the picture). That doesn't matter. There is a slot that you can only install the actutator one way. The new actuator was not aligned, so I just went ahead and inserted it with the slot on the white rod. Then I rotated the whole actuator so that I could insert the screws. NOTE: the White Cam will also rotate when you rotate the actuator. Product Line Technology Machine

#30 ·
You might get some more information if you pull the DTC codes as described in the sticky at the beginning of this forum. They might give you more insight, although most of those who have responded seem to be pretty well acquainted with the problem.

I will probably need to replace the Mode Actuator in our '04 DeVille at some point but I'm too old to stand on my head under the dash. The Factory Service Manual that I have describes in detail how to replace this actuator and it is a long and complicated procedure, but at least my body will be in an upright position all the time.

OOPS, i DIDN'T READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING. SORRY FOR THE IRRELEVANT INFORMATION.

#31 ·
----------------------

The Factory Service Manual that I have describes in detail how to replace this actuator
and it is a long and complicated procedure,
but at least my body will be in an upright position all the time.
the FSM has you remove the entire dash and steering column -
you DON'T want to do it that way -
just for kicks -
read how to remove the steering column -

our under-the-dash method is MUCH easier -
and really not that bad -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.