Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Challenge - 2001 DTS bits and pieces

689 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  basscatt 
#1 ·
So I have had my Caddy for about 2 weeks and am driving it daily. I have some minor concerns with things like normal temperature operating ranges (as seen on the temp gauge), struts, fuel consumption and so on.

I love the Caddy so far and as an accountant, love information and numbers. Then it occurred to me after reading various posts and searching for key words. I am NOT going to post any questions, rather I am going to use this entire forum as it was intended, a giant diagnostic/information tool. As I find out things I am relegating myself to then pose the question and the corrected course of action that worked for my situation. (giving credit to those with the info of course). I can almost guarantee that everything that I need will be somewhere here.

Not the most exciting way to live, but hey...

Nerds gotta do what a nerds gotta do!:bigroll:

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Challenge

I am NOT going to post any questions, rather I am going to use this entire forum as it was intended, a giant diagnostic/information tool. As I find out things I am relegating myself to then pose the question and the corrected course of action that worked for my situation. (giving credit to those with the info of course). I can almost guarantee that everything that I need will be somewhere here.
ya - or you could save yourself a lot of time -
and just ask the damn questions -

#3 ·

Welcome, nerd. Using Google, the CF search function, tech tips, etc. you can find pretty much anything you want here. Since you like numbers, here's a factoid: you used 693 characters to tell us this info. ;>)

#4 · (Edited)

Ask questions or stay in the dark.

What's your interpretation of "normal (coolant) temperatures" ? And what is so difficult about the annotated gauge we post here and there ? All the operating parameters are noted on that picture, as well as some fan controls info. The rest is in the several stickies at the top of the Engines; Northstar main page.

Fuel consumption - your car uses the LD8 engine - 275 hp - and a 3.11:1 final drive for economy. It is speed limited to 112 mph. Gas mileage on the recommended 87 octane fuels will (should) be 9 - 13 mpg city/rush hour, 14 - 19 mpg suburban/near rural, 25 - 28 mpg long run highway mileage. Read the owner's manual on how to use the trip odometers, fuel use calculator, and DIC readouts. Using 89 or 91/93 octane fuels will do nothing except increase your overall cost per mile - which, according to USDOT - hovers at just about 60 cents a mile in 2015.

#5 ·

Basscat, Sub,

I agree whole heartily that asking the questions is easier and more efficient. I was simply making the point that there is so much information here that everything seems to be covered.

For instance, the other day I was taking my family in town for some fast food. While we were in line the temp gauge moved from noon position to perhaps the one o' clock spot. Fan kicked on and went back down to noon. My trucks temp gauge simply doesn't move. Instead of rushing to ask questions I found all I needed to know here. Sub... under your profile I found the photos of the gauge with temp hash marks. This helped me considerably. I then read about the WOT procedure, AND found that some basic checks need to be done prior to doing this.

As far as struts and shocks, the car seems to "float" more that I am used to. I am chalking it up to simply being a different ride that I am used to. I can hold the car in a straight line as seem from the steering wheel and the car will sort of run to the left or right. Regardless of road, crown or the equal.
The rear end of the car appears to be sitting low? But at this point I am not sure. I am trying to find information here. Trying to see if it sits level from RR to LR. Every once in a while I can hear the compressor kick on the RR.

Fuel mileage... well Sub, you answered my question. My stats are falling right in line with what you posted. I am doing the fill, record mileage and divide on next fill up method. The most accurate way I can think of.

I haven't had the car long enough to measure oil consumption but am monitoring. Also, trying to watch coolant and signs of HG issues. Really trying to learn and do preventative maintenance now rather than costly repairs later.

#7 ·

Basscat, Sub,

I agree whole heartily that asking the questions is easier and more efficient. I was simply making the point that there is so much information here that everything seems to be covered.

For instance, the other day I was taking my family in town for some fast food. While we were in line the temp gauge moved from noon position to perhaps the one o' clock spot. Fan kicked on and went back down to noon. My trucks temp gauge simply doesn't move. Instead of rushing to ask questions I found all I needed to know here. Sub... under your profile I found the photos of the gauge with temp hash marks. This helped me considerably. I then read about the WOT procedure, AND found that some basic checks need to be done prior to doing this.

As far as struts and shocks, the car seems to "float" more that I am used to. I am chalking it up to simply being a different ride that I am used to. I can hold the car in a straight line as seem from the steering wheel and the car will sort of run to the left or right. Regardless of road, crown or the equal.
The rear end of the car appears to be sitting low? But at this point I am not sure. I am trying to find information here. Trying to see if it sits level from RR to LR. Every once in a while I can hear the compressor kick on the RR.

Fuel mileage... well Sub, you answered my question. My stats are falling right in line with what you posted. I am doing the fill, record mileage and divide on next fill up method. The most accurate way I can think of.

I haven't had the car long enough to measure oil consumption but am monitoring. Also, trying to watch coolant and signs of HG issues. Really trying to learn and do preventative maintenance now rather than costly repairs later.
=============================
As far as struts and shocks, the car seems to "float" more that I am used to.
the DTS model Deville has the F45 active shocks/struts -
along with the FE3 "sport" suspension - making it the firmest riding Deville -
and I have never heard anyone refer to the ride characteristics as floaty -
unless the shocks and struts were worn out -

car will sort of run to the left or right. Regardless of road, crown or the equal.
bad tires - worn steering parts - or out of alignment -

the rear end of the car appears to be sitting low?
without a load in the back seat and trunk -
the car should sit level -

a quick and easy test

on a flat/level surface -
ensure all 4 tires are inflated to 32psi -
measure from the floor up through the center of the wheel - to the wheel-opening of the fender -

the measurement should be around 27 to 28 inches -
and all 4 should be the same -

#6 ·

I am going to use this entire forum as it was intended, a giant diagnostic/information tool. As I find out things I am relegating myself to then pose the question
Basscat, Sub,

Right you are. Everything you can think of has probably already been asked and answered (kudos for searching first), but if you can't find it, don't hesitate to ask.

Oil consumption is not what it used to be on some of the pre 2000 engines. I'd say it's close to "normal".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.