Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Who's who of CV axles

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  CadillacLuke24 
#1 ·
1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, VIN Y, ~95K miles, factory CV axles

SO when I replaced my struts last december, when I was changing the left side, I wasn't on the ball enough, and I let the inner CV joint pop out. I was able to get it back in, but I maimed the boot clamp in the process. Being a LONG cold walk from parts stores (and broke to boot), I tried using a zip tie. I know it was dumb, knew that at the time, but figured I'd try to get something on there.

That lasted about 2 days :rant2: Tried a bigger one, and that made it about a week. Then it had a 2 inch gap at the top of the boot for about 3 weeks. I know, stupid, but that's what happened.

Got some grease in it in January, got it reclamped, and the cv boot clamp I used has held to this point.

My problem begins here-During the spring I developed a vibration at highway speeds (anything above 50). Did the 12 and 6 oclock shake test on both sides after tires and the suspension checked out. The right side passed with flying colors, but the left failed miserably.

SO, I got a new Timken hub at the beginning of June. While I planned the install, symptoms deteriorated. The vibration became present in town. And-it only has happened four times, when I hit the northernmost expansion gap on the donkey creek bridge on the way to work juuuuust right, I get a car-shaking CLUNKACLUNKACLUNK. Before the hub replacement I could tell the hub was bad, because there was horizontal character to the vibration, as well as some vertical (I could feel the LF wheel wobble).

Got the hub replaced last night, and went for a shakedown cruise. WORKED GREAT! Got it all torqued to spec, and she rides much better. Vibration is gone in town, except for a few seconds after I hang a right. Highway vibration is gone.

BUT

On the way to work this morning, I got the CLUNKACLUNKACLUNK. THIS time, there was only horizontal character to it (It felt like a slide hammer was going to town on the LF).

ERGO, I think that the driver side CV axle is toast, do to my half-assed attempts at boot repair, due to a combination of ignorance based fear and no time to get to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm working with the hypothesis of a failing driver's cv axle.

Going with that, what brands are good? I've heard Cardone and Advance Auto Part's stuff is good, NAPA is mixed/partially negative, O'Reilly's SUCKS, and I won't touch ANYTHING Don'tLast, er, Duralast, after working at AutoZone. I've also heard that remanufactured is preferable over new, as the splines will work perfectly.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. I am leaning towards the first two I've mentioned, so validation or warnings are appreciated :D

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#3 ·
If your problem is the axle, don't overthink it when it comes to shopping. Just about every CV axle you'll buy at a local brick and mortar store, including all of the stores you've mentioned, will be a Cardone unit - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, no matter which you choose to purchase from .

#7 ·
Well the right side, which is ok, was firm.

The left side moves a half inch from front to back, and I could hear some clanking that shouldn't be there (like you said, internal rattles).

Thanks ehall. Looks like it's time for a new driver's cv axle. I will hit up Amazon in the coming days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.