Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  godd63 
#1 ·
My 1998 is having some trouble, everytime it is dark out and I try to drive it the headlights come on but only when I put the car in any other gear than park..Thats not it, also when I am driving the headlights stay on but the taillights are not and the display reads HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED.I cannot figure this out HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 ·
The relay is located in the engine compartment, driver side by the suspension tower. You will see a little door labeled "Fuse". The black plastic housing around this Fuse panel door (including the door) will pop up if you tug the housing. (it doesnt have any screws holding it down) The heavy duty fuses and the relays will be visible now. On the back side of the removed black plastic housing there is sticker showing which relay is for what. The relays look like small rectangular plastic things grey or black in color. They may be wrapped in weatherproofing (like electric tape) just remove the weatherwrap to expose the individual relays. The relay labeled Headlamp and the Horn are identical so you can switch them to see if it fixes the problem, it did it for me.

POWERGLIDE POSTED THIS BUT CANNOT FIND HEADLIGHT RELAY

#5 ·
Godd63, your car is doing what its supposed to do. It has daylight running lights, which explains why your lights come on but not the taillights, if you move the switch on the twilight sentinel over a crack, you will not get that message about headlamps suggested. Do all your lights come on when you pull the headlight button on? If so, then everything is working fine. One other thing, the slider is a timer for the lights when you switch the car off, the more you slide it over, the longer the lights stay on, up to 3 minutes. Goodluck

#7 ·
Sorry but I am only going on what you are describing, I can post for you all the diagnostic procedures to help you track this problem down, first though, do you have no taillights when the headlight switch is pulled out? Now if the answer is no, then the next step is to check for codes, the headlights are controlled through the PZM or body computer, the relay for the tail lamps is in the rear compartment behind the seat, it is labelled so you should have no touble finding it. If you need the diagnostic info, sing out and I will be glad to help. KJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.