just a question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, just a question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm considering buying a 89 Brougham with a 5.0L engine, but I would like to see the history on it. ...
    roadbratt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

just a question

I'm considering buying a 89 Brougham with a 5.0L engine, but I would like to see the history on it. I just want to see if asking for a carfax report on a car is against the forum policy. I dont want to get banned or anything. If anybody is willing to help me out, just pm me. thanks

-rb

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    We don't tell anyone what they can or can't do around here! We do however offer our opinions (Sometimes rather forcefully) here! I advocate the use of carfax reports when buying a used car. It's one of the tools available to you to help you make an informed decision!

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I would too also use a carfax. They are even more helpful in states where they have emission tests. In Indiana, they dont have that, and there were only 2 mileages on my carfax. I would definitely have it checked out by a mechanic, because it can be running great one day, and then the next day theres a $1000 bill at the shop.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Carfax has limited use but it's worthwhile nonetheless.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    The only thing I heard from a mechanic is that the older 4.1 and/or the 4.5 had bearings that went bad too soon. The 4.9 is supposed to have the bugs worked out of it.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Oops, you said Brougham 5.0 not 4.9, sorry I goofed.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    The 307(Y) Olds 5.0 liter V8 is one of the most reliable engines out there. It's not very powerful but it does last. Just make sure you do a timing chain/gears by ~120K miles. The carb should also be rebuilt at that time. Between those two being done, the car will run like new

I'm going to go check it out sometime later this week. The person said it has a valve cover leak, but that's a quick fix. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Re: just a question

Originally posted by roadbratt
    I just want to see if asking for a carfax report on a car is against the forum policy. I dont want to get banned or anything.
    I'm wondering why asking for a Carfax report here would get anyone in trouble?

The last time I asked for a carfax report in a channel, I got banned. Thanks tho.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Re: just a question

Originally posted by Elvis
    I'm wondering why asking for a Carfax report here would get anyone in trouble?
    Probably because Carfax is a subscription service intended for the user who subscribed. So if they use their subscription to provide a 'service' to members of a community, then they are breaking the terms of their agreement.

So maybe the forum he was banned in, got a nasty letter from Carfax.

It's only like 10 bucks or something for 90 days. Certainly worth the price if you are serious about buying a used car in 90 days.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    I remember on a Honda forum I used to visit people used to ask for Carfax reports all the time. Some members had unlimited memberships and sometimes would pull reports for other people.

I'll probably buy a short-term membership when my time comes, but most likely I'll be buying a certified pre-owned car so it won't matter that much.

mnymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS
    Getting a Carfax is a good idea, but it only shows limited information, which is information regarding work that was done by a reporting company or agency.

It doesn't show that Billy Bob went down to the local junkyard or parts store and tried to install a different kind of transmission in his car himself, or and stronger rearend with his neighbor who said he used to work on cars back in high school (35 years ago).

Have a mechanic check it out also dude!!!

I got a Carfax once for a Mercedes I bought, the Carfax came back fine, 3 weeks later I had blown that thing up on the highway. I eventually just sold it for a lost because the repairs were too expensive and were not worth it.

I know, I know I didn't list the Benz among the previous cars I owned in the other post somewhere on this forum but I lost count and track so consider this as a correction and maybe I will find that post and edit it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.