Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  hitokiri315 
#1 ·
When i start the car it runs real rough. But when i get up to about 40 miles per hour it calms down. I think it may need a tune up. I wanted to get it checked so i went to firstone and those mfers wanted to charge 460 dollars for a tune up. I told them to shove it up their a#$. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what might be the problem. It's wierd all of the sudden it started doing this a week ago before that it was fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

#6 ·
I 've discovered that the car does not idle that bad when im at a red light and shift the car into neutral at stops. Does this mean the problem is something else rather than bad plugs. I did a plug and wire change last year i don't think they could be bad after that long do you?

#8 ·
hitokiri315 said:
I 've discovered that the car does not idle that bad when im at a red light and shift the car into neutral at stops. Does this mean the problem is something else rather than bad plugs. I did a plug and wire change last year i don't think they could be bad after that long do you?
Generally, a light misfire will get worse under heavy load (idle in gear is heavier than idle out of gear). It will also appear worse when accelerating lightly just before it shifts as opposed to a hard acceleration. No, they should last a lot longer than a year. You did you OEM parts, didn't you? If you went with aftermarket plugs and wires, all bets are off. Have you cleaned the TB and the EGR?

#9 ·
Ranger said:
Generally, a light misfire will get worse under heavy load (idle in gear is heavier than idle out of gear). It will also appear worse when accelerating lightly just before it shifts as opposed to a hard acceleration. No, they should last a lot longer than a year. You did you OEM parts, didn't you? If you went with aftermarket plugs and wires, all bets are off. Have you cleaned the TB and the EGR?
Im sorry i don't know what oem and tb and egr means. The plugs are ac delco plugs and the wires are a different brand i think. Also the car kind of staggers when it starts to accelerate, like a hesitation almost like im dragging something. I added some fuel treatment thinking i got some bad gas somewhere it helped a little. But it still has the same problem. And it feels like the transmission is changing gears too hard.

#15 ·
ok i will probably need your help when i do it on saturday(only day i have free time im gonna do it in the morning to beat the sun)

oh and my grandma was telling me about some kind of transmission treatment that helps with slipping gears. Is that good to use in a caddy?

#17 ·
thanks guys for all of your suggestions. especially ranger. i changed the plugs got em at auto zone for 51.99 and the car is running great again.

i will be back when i start to try and fix my radio antenna. the thing used to work and then it stopped going up when the car starts and i cant get any am stations to come in. Love my sports radio 610 here in houston.

thanks again

#19 ·
Ranger said:
Do you hear the motor run? If so, it's a broken mast cable. Supposedly, dealers have a repair kit for $15 - $20 but I was unable to find one. I was able to get one here for $50. http://www.antennamastsrus.com. Repaired it with the antenna motor in the car ('97 Deville). Follow the instructions closely.
yep that is exactly what its doing. looks like i need to get a new one of those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.