My Whole Engine and tranny FELL OUT need help 93 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, My Whole Engine and tranny FELL OUT need help 93 deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Guys was driving yesterday a big bang and no steering scared the crap out of me. Well I am ...
    Eldobroken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Unhappy My Whole Engine and tranny FELL OUT need help 93 deville

Hi Guys was driving yesterday a big bang and no steering scared the crap out of me. Well I am ok luckily I was going only about 30 and did not hit anything but here is what i can see. The rear motor cradle or whatever the frame that holds the motor in is called fell out, In the process it must have broken the steerring coupler. So my motor and tranny are hanging to the ground also the exhaust is loud. Looking under the hood the engine is about a foot lower than normal. Well the car still runs fine but what do i do now. I was looking online and do not know what the parts are called also looks like a big headache. Any ideas guys? thanks in advance. BTW its a 4.9l if that helps at all

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: My Whole Engine and tranny FELL OUT need help 93 deville

Wow....

This makes the 2nd person with a '91-'93 DeVille that it happened to.... scarey stuff....

Gosh, I forgot who it was, something about the bolts holding the motor mounts or something together rusted away.... loosing the steering is something I don't want to experience.

Maybe I can dig up the thread...

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Holy hell man! That happens and it STILL runs right!

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Night Wolf,

I do remember reading another post... I vaguely remember Stoneage asked that person if it was caused by rust and the first reply was no... I don't remember if I followed it all the way til the end, so maybe it turned out that it was caused by rust. But, yeah, you are right, this kind of thing should not happen and it is very scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    Wow....

This makes the 2nd person with a '91-'93 DeVille that it happened to.... scarey stuff....

Gosh, I forgot who it was, something about the bolts holding the motor mounts or something together rusted away.... loosing the steering is something I don't want to experience.

Maybe I can dig up the thread...
    Yep caught me off guard looks like the actual frame that holds the engine and tranny in just broke off there are broken mounts there and the front frame is now hitting the floor. Funny thing is I was going slow and it just snapped. Lucky for me a was not on DPA which was my original route and I would have been going much faster. Well if anyone knows what the engine well I would guess its a subframe or mabye called a cradle. I need to know what the mounts are called so I can order them. In the meanwhile im out to find a clean 2000-03 ETC or STS. Also anyone on here in NY selling one I would be interested. Thanks Guys

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Yeah, its the engine cradle/subframe...

Try and run a search using keywords from this... as it happened before and the soultion was there.

nboylie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Coupe Deville

that is crazy! pics if possible! wow

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

WOWSERZ!
    Scary thought that your motor could fall out of your car. Luckily you were going slow.

This reminds me of an episode of Candid Camera where a sexy lady was pulled off the side of a street with her 4 way flashers on. When the inevitable man approached to to help her out and when he popped the hood there was no motor in the car, just an empty engine bay.

The expression on his face was priceless, he asked her what happened, she replied with "I was just driving along, I heard a noise and then the car coasted to a stop." The guy starts looking down the street for her motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    Yeah, its the engine cradle/subframe...

Try and run a search using keywords from this... as it happened before and the soultion was there.
    Thanks Guys for all the replies I will take pics and post tommorow. Dont know what to do with the car but Just bought a 2000 Pearl White ETC Loaded I pick it up tommorow Only thing that sucks is that I really really wanted the wood Steering wheel Guess I can buy one somewhere otherwise its loaded. So kind of excited to get it tommorow then I will figure out the Devilles Fate. If anyone needs parts it runs great and is in pretty good shape let me know. LOL it stil runs even with engine hanging LMAO.

johnplara is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Green Goblin Sedan Deville with the heart of a 91

Ouch, that sucks. I had virtually the same thing happen to my old 88 Fleetwood last spring in my driveway. What the part, or make it area is is the car's A-Frame. It all depends on how much rust is down there. Your experiance is actualy not as rare as you think. My budy here at the local Cadillac dealership has related to me that this has happened close to several hundred times, but not all cadillacs though. Mostly Oldsmobile cutlass, Park aves and what not that share the same basic frame as the Deville. What I have noticed at the Junkyard is that unlike my Fleetwood which was a total rustbucket, only the actual threads and mount will rust away from the A-Frame and the rest just drops afterwards just leaving four 15mm holes where there once was a mount. From what I understand from the guys at the body shop there at the dealer is, if you do not have a ton of rust and it is just the imediate area around the mount that rusted, it is repairable, otherwise, part it out and get a good rust free deville for those moments when you don't feel like driving the ETC. Heck, I am sure you can get something for the engine and tranny on E-bay.

johnplara is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Green Goblin Sedan Deville with the heart of a 91

I stand corrected by my buddy who just walked in the room with his woman, it is only about a hundred times, and yes, still mostly buicks and oldsmobiles. However he just told me that a 95 deville suffered the same fate just last week.

Quote Originally Posted by johnplara
    Ouch, that sucks. I had virtually the same thing happen to my old 88 Fleetwood last spring in my driveway. What the part, or make it area is is the car's A-Frame. It all depends on how much rust is down there. Your experiance is actualy not as rare as you think. My budy here at the local Cadillac dealership has related to me that this has happened close to several hundred times, but not all cadillacs though. Mostly Oldsmobile cutlass, Park aves and what not that share the same basic frame as the Deville. What I have noticed at the Junkyard is that unlike my Fleetwood which was a total rustbucket, only the actual threads and mount will rust away from the A-Frame and the rest just drops afterwards just leaving four 15mm holes where there once was a mount. From what I understand from the guys at the body shop there at the dealer is, if you do not have a ton of rust and it is just the imediate area around the mount that rusted, it is repairable, otherwise, part it out and get a good rust free deville for those moments when you don't feel like driving the ETC. Heck, I am sure you can get something for the engine and tranny on E-bay.
    Thanks John Exactly that happened 4 rusted mounts totally wasted. The car does not have a speck of rust near the mounts just the mounts themselves disinigrated. So it might pay for me to buy new mounts and i would guess a steering coupler and just sell the car. The Eldo was what I wanted anyway I was just waiting a while to save up money. I will post some pics later just have to take them. Thanks

Here is a pic LOL sorry I have to host it will later going to pick up my ETC finally.

Quote Originally Posted by nboylie
    that is crazy! pics if possible! wow
    Sorry guys took long bit here are some pics. I think I will fix it as the car runs awsome.
    If anyone knows the exact name of these mounts and where to get them it would be greatly Appriciated thanks ,Eldobroken
    http://dnnn.com/Photos/album02/Brokendevillle?full=1

http://dnnn.com/Photos/album02/Broken?full=1

http://dnnn.com/Photos/album02/Brokendevfull?full=1

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Goodness...I'm going to install a new level sensor by the mounts and make a "Support Engine Soon...VERY Soon" telltale

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.