I think I bent my car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, I think I bent my car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When we are doing my breakes a little while back, we had my car up on a 2-ton floor jack. ...
    moses is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy I think I bent my car

When we are doing my breakes a little while back, we had my car up on a 2-ton floor jack. Then we put jack stands under the 4 points to be able to remove all the wheels and do all the breaks at once. I know that we had (i think) 2 of the jack stands up higher than the others.

I'll get to the meat of the post now.

My friend said that when a unibody car (like mine?) is jacked at one point, you should not open and close any of the doors. Well, I did.. we needed a break cylinder out of the back seat. And also when the entire car was up on stands, I had to sit in it to bleed the breaks.

Ever since then, my doors stick alot, and I can hear wind thru the doors. And air leaks.

Is there any way I can jack it up to straighten the car back out?

Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

509Rider is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 fleet, 95 fleet, 59 impala

Re: I think I bent my car

I wouldnt think that would tweek it that much, but if you did take it to a body shop and have tham put it on there frame rack, its not cheap to straighten a car.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

That would depend more on where the jackstands were placed. You have to try pretty hard to bend a car.

Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You could always do the same and just reverse the process. Open the door on the other side of the car and get in...*shrugs*

cadillacjack01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can't see how such a thing could happen if you placed the jacks and stands at the proper places on the frame rails. There are four lift points on the underside of the car, and all of these places are reinforced to carry the weight of the car. So if the jacks and stands are placed properly, there should not be any chance of bending.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

To be honest, the only time I ever hear of that happening is when a non-unibody car is on a "rotisserie" with out the frame attached, as in the case of frame-off restorations.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Maybe those problems were there before and you're only noticing them now because your friend said that?

moses is offline Cadillac Owners Member

THe doors were super smooth when I got the car. when it was up on the jack, and my friend (or I)tryed to open the door, he thought it was locked. we had to jack it up 2 times, the first time we did my brakes (pads / shoes) after putting the car down the doors were great. the 2nd time, my friend had it on the 4 jacks (2 higher), hr put the jack in the middle of the two doors (i asked if that was fine, he said yeah, so I thought nothing of it). when it was with the jack in the middle, due to the uneven jacks, the car teetered a bit and i started shouting at him its gunna tip (i was pissed/scared), it balanced it out, da*n it, he prolly messed it up right there. very sticky doors now. and now the door studs sqeek. i think my friend may have done it wrong. he jacked up one side of the car, then jacked up the front on the other side. then the rear. wouldnt it be better to jack the front or back first, not one side? like i said in the other post, some of the jacks were higher than the others.

cadillacjack01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It sounds like you jacked up the car by placing the jacks in the wrong places. You did not use the lift points on the chassis. It is possible, as I have seen before, to bend other areas under the car as not every place is designed to carry the weight of the entire car (a full 4300 pounds unloaded). Many vehicles have been damaged by falling off jacks and hitting objects (or jack stands) underneath.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.