Gas Tank Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Gas Tank Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When my gas tank gets below 6 gallons and I take a turn like going around a clover leaf on ...
    ALTOONAGUY is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gas Tank Problems

When my gas tank gets below 6 gallons and I take a turn like going around a clover leaf on ther interstate exit the engine sputters, and I lose most all my power and it will usually die. I have barely made it home a couple of times. As long as I keep it above 6 gallons I have no problems. Anyone hav an I dea why this happens?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    What kind of vehicle is it? As the fuel gets low in the tank, it sloshes around and the fuel pickup can't reach it. The baffles in the tank may be loose or broken, allowing the fuel to slosh around more than originally allowed.

ALTOONAGUY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Sorry, It's a 92 DeVille.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Time for a new tank unit dude. It's a common issue on those cars. Replacing it will also increase your gauge accuracy since the tank's sending unit is also known to to be faulty.

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    my S10 did that after i replaced the fuel pump... I took it back out... the little filter thing on the end of it fell off. Stupid OEM replacement crap.

plefe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Jason,

I'm having the same problem in my 91' DeVille. Have to fill her up when she hits 10 gallons. You mentioned the tank unit. I'm assuming the sending unit, but are we really talking about the in-tank fuel pump needing replaced? Does the fuel pump get hot, and that causes the sending unit (with low gas) to malfunction? Or am I rambling? Do I replace the fuel pump or the sending unit?

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    okay... get under the car and check the wires on the fuel pump. my S10 had some loose wires. it my be a coincidence like it was for me. when you go around a turn fast enough, the force might be enough to cause a brief short in the wire.

has the pump been replaced recently?

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    When someone says "tank unit" to me I think complete fuel tank and sending unit. If your baffles are indeed loose, That's exactly what you'll need to replace!

Speaking English, I would have said replace the fuel tank. And technically, haven't a response that gets it right in my mind. Never heard of baffles in a fuel tank for a car. Makes sense like driving a tanker. Probably there on all cars all along, huh?

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    Well, all fuel injected cars anyway. For instance, on GM G-bodies (1980s Cutlasses, Monte Carlos, Regals, etc.), the carbureted cars (which were 95% of them) had non-baffled fuel tanks. The fuel injected cars (turbo Buicks and FI 4.3L V-6 Monte Carlos) received baffled fuel tanks. A necessary swap, for someone who wants to put a TPI 305/350 into his car, is to get a gas tank from a turbo Buick or FI Monte Carlo so it has the proper pump unit mount and baffles in the tank to prevent sloshing. The sloshing isn't such a big deal with carbureted cars and mechanical fuel pumps, but with electronic in-tank pumps, I think they all have baffled tanks.

Originally posted by kcnewell
    When someone says "tank unit" to me I think complete fuel tank and sending unit. If your baffles are indeed loose, That's exactly what you'll need to replace!
    The term "tank unit" refers to the ENTIRE sender/pump assembly. It has been coomonly refered to as a tank unit for a long time. Sorry, I assumed that it was obvious.
    Anyway, the whole unit should be replaced on your car since the original design was defective and well known to cause the very symptoms you mentioned.

The baffled tanks did mainly appear with the EFI cars and the main reason for them as I recall was to help maintain a constant fuel supply to the engine via the in-tank pump. Also the baffle provides a well that stays full of fuel which keeps the pump cool.

Thanks Kevin!

No problemo

So now I've ordered a new tank. Having a hard time finding the part numbers for the sending unit and fuel pump. Parts sites show two different sending units and when I ordered the tank in town, they had two different pumps on hand, two cross reference numbers, but only one part number. Go figure. Is there a website that lists all the part numbers? My Cadillac repair manual doesn't list these particular numbers.

Why did you order a tank when you NEED the sender?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.