Stranded in Vegas..... good / bad story
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Stranded in Vegas..... good / bad story in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Merry Christmas to All on the CaddilacForum. First my request, then the story..... Anyone out here know of a good ...
    pink panther is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stranded in Vegas..... good / bad story

Merry Christmas to All on the CaddilacForum.

First my request, then the story.....

Anyone out here know of a good parts store/dealer, in Las Vegas, where I can purchase the 2 plastic/resin idlers (one blew, the other has noisy bearings) for the serpentine belt, and possibly a serpentine belt for the 4.9 litre (94 DeVille)??

Also - what price is about right??

The serpentine belt looks fine - no cracks, or shredded edges. I was travelling at about 35 mph - about 1/2 mile from home when the "battery not charging" message came on, and I lost power steering. I drove the 1/2 mile home - no "hot temp" warning came on or anything like that.

The car only has 75,000 miles +-.

But when I stopped at where we are staying, there was a bit of coolant boiling going on, we cooled down the rad and the boiling stopped - the electric fan had not even kicked on at all.

So I do not think any overheating went on...

ALSO..... I do not have a owner's or service manual. Is restringing the serpentine belt straightforward, or are there any Cadillac glitches I should know about??

I already tried my 1/2" socket, and the tensioner retracts easily.

Now - the long version of the story....

well, we are in Vegas........(that's good)

no, that's bad...we are stranded here when the the two idlers on the serpentine belt on the 4.9 litre blew
    (that's bad)...

no, that's good - we made it to Vegas - after a 3-day, 1350 mile trip from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada!!!

(that's good).....

no, that's bad - the trip would have been a bit shorter if the fuel computer readout had told the truth.
    - 90 miles east of Vegas, the fuel guage tells me that I have 6 gallons of gas and a range of 135 miles remaining.
    65 miles later, the digital readout goes from 4 gals, to "E", and about 4 -5 miles later we are on the side of I-15. out of gas
    (that's bad)

No, that's good... we covered many many miles of highway in desolate country (follow I-15 from Sweetgrass Montana - through Utah - to Vegas..)

result - 1 1/2 hour delay and about $20 in cell phone bills (long distance and roaming charges) later, we were zooming to Las Vegas again.

ok - so I am running out of good/bad scenarios...

The short version is - we are thankful to have put 1350 mile on the 4.9 L DeVille, and all our small problems happened within 25 miles of Vegas!!!

This car (I just bought it about a month ago, and did several small trips -under 250 miles per trip - to check things out) gave all 4 of us a great ride at freeway speeds (75 - 85mph) and averaged 22.5 mpg (US gals)overall.

Nothing short of wonderful.

Thanks in advance and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Snyder81 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 90 Deville

Re: Stranded in Vegas..... good / bad story

Honestly, I would just find a GM dealer and get the part there since you're kind of in a tight spot. I once had a "battery not charging" problem, but it was because the power steering wheel that the serpentine belts turns seized up on me and snapped my serpentine belt.

pink panther is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks -

PP

Big Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is a little late and I'm sure PinkPanther is already long home but I'll pass this along. I had an idler shoot craps about a month ago. I went straight to the local Cad dealer and the part which was in stock set me back all of $15. It sure wasn't worth looking around for a better price on that item.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.