93 Deville coolant cap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 93 Deville coolant cap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I noticed a small amount of sludge on the coolant pressure cap today. The sludge was on the middle ...
    r_2016 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville

93 Deville coolant cap

Hi,

I noticed a small amount of sludge on the coolant pressure cap today. The sludge was on the middle part of the cap, right at the base of the spring. There is no coolant in the oil and if you look down into the radiator there are no signs of contamination (coolant is green). The water pump blew a while back when the car was running and it was changed; I am wondering if maybe some RTV sealant got into the system when the pump was changed and has been sitting up there for a while. The car did sit in the garage for about 8 years and wasn't driven. The coolant was flushed about 1500-2000 miles ago when I put the car back on the road and I am guessing that if there was a problem like a bad HG that there would be contamination and the car would be overheating. I have never really pulled the cap off of the radiator so this could have been like this for the past 15 years and I wouldn't have known, there are no issues with the car right now, I am just looking for some input if I should investigate further. I am thinking that the car being 21 years old it could be considered normal....... Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Probably just old coolant tab residue.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: 93 Deville coolant cap

It's probably from coolant tab or the coolant itself. Nothing much to worry about.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Look a bit like this?

Rinse it off and reinstall it.

r_2016 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville

Thanks guys......I looked up the coolant tabs online and I think that's what it is. Ranger: yes it does look like that but not nearly that much; there was just a little bit on the underside of the cap, at the base of the spring. The coolant was clean with no contamination at all, so I am thinking that it must have been residue from previous coolant when they used the tabs. I didn't have them put the tabs in on the last coolant flush. Are they supposed to be used?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Not sure what the "official" answer is for the 4,9, but GM no longer uses or recommends them in other engines. They tend to clog small coolant passages.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

That picture looks horrible, it looks more like major rust from the cooling system. If it's from the tabs someone most have put a whole pack in every time they opened the hood. If used properly if anything you just see some light brown scum on the sides of the overflow and sometimes a coating inside hoses that looks more like staining then anything else.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I will admit that picture is a rather extreme case and could possibly be rust, but you get the idea. Usually if the cap is anything like the above picture, the coolant will be a mucky brown. I HAVE had a cap look similar (though not quite as bad) from sealant tab residue. That was what swore me off of them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.