99 Deville trunk trouble
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 99 Deville trunk trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, Just bought a 99 Deville for a song, because the electrical is all messed up. I hope I ...
    AngieK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville Concours

99 Deville trunk trouble

Hi all,

Just bought a 99 Deville for a song, because the electrical is all messed up. I hope I can fix it inexpensively, so I can run the car.

Unfortunately, when I got it, there were no remotes and no door/trunk key. Besides the fact that those are missing, all the systems I need to check/fix are inside the trunk. As you know there is no access through the back seat, and the dash button doesn't work. Neither does fuel door button, traction control button, or the valet button.

While I have found nothing to help on this forum so far, or YouTube, or a general search of Google, I need to ask this;

Is there ANY way to open the trunk without power, remotes or the key? The car is too perfect to start smashing my way in, or cutting or punching anything. Can I power the trunk release wires separately? Is there a safe place to drill a small access hole behind the seat that won't tear up wiring that I might get a hook into to pull the inside trunk release? Other than that I have to wait quite a while (for the title to be processed and returned) before I can go get a key cut from the VIN. And even then there is no guarantee the lock was never changed since it was new.

Thanks in advance for any insights or help you can offer,
    Angie

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RomoRock3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Base
    Open the hood and check the fuses to see if any are burnt.

Is there a battery in the car? Can you check the voltage from the information display? Or does nothing come up

I think there is a way to open the trunk by putting power to the release wires, but I don't know which ones they are.

You could also remove the cover surrounding the headlight gas and trunk switches. Then you can see if they were unplugged.

Other than that. there isn't much you can do without the key. Make sure you don't lock yourself out!

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 99 Deville trunk trouble

Quote Originally Posted by AngieK View Post
    Hi all,

Just bought a 99 Deville for a song, because the electrical is all messed up. I hope I can fix it inexpensively, so I can run the car.

Unfortunately, when I got it, there were no remotes and no door/trunk key. Besides the fact that those are missing, all the systems I need to check/fix are inside the trunk. As you know there is no access through the back seat, and the dash button doesn't work. Neither does fuel door button, traction control button, or the valet button.

While I have found nothing to help on this forum so far, or YouTube, or a general search of Google, I need to ask this;

Is there ANY way to open the trunk without power, remotes or the key? The car is too perfect to start smashing my way in, or cutting or punching anything. Can I power the trunk release wires separately? Is there a safe place to drill a small access hole behind the seat that won't tear up wiring that I might get a hook into to pull the inside trunk release? Other than that I have to wait quite a while (for the title to be processed and returned) before I can go get a key cut from the VIN. And even then there is no guarantee the lock was never changed since it was new.

Thanks in advance for any insights or help you can offer,
    Angie
    =======================
    you can try to apply voltage directly to the wires of the trunk release button -
    a 9-volt battery would be enough -

OR -
    call a Caddy dealer with your VIN - and have proof of ownership -

there is a chance they can get the key codes from the VIN -
    and cut a new set of keys -

OR -
    call a locksmith -
    they will be cheaper than fixing the damage you will cause by by breaking in -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    call a locksmith -
    they will be cheaper than fixing the damage you will cause by by breaking in -

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that.

I have checked all fuses and relays in the engine bay. I found a bad relay for the Inadvert Power and bypassed that (for now). I also have a bad relay in Accessory, but swapped that for the horn, and it didn't help. I have to wait until payday to get any new parts, so I'm doing work-arounds on those for now to keep going. Today is look under/take apart the dash day. With all the dash switches dead, I am hoping I just find that something was cut... a previous owner hacked out the radio wires. The control for the dash functions and the climate control were sitting on the floor, so I just plugged those back in and they work perfectly. The radio is there too, but the harness plug is missing so I can't re-install that.

In the glove compartment, at the back, is some sort of clip or switch with a yellow end. I won't mess with that until I find out what it is. There is also a curved, threaded rod, that appears to be loose. I don't know what that is. It seems odd to me that there is no back in the glove box. So I'm assuming someone has had it out and may have just unplugged a lot of stuff.

Well... going to go out in a bit and get the meter out, and see which wires are hot and what's not.

Just an FYI, the battery is new, and checks perfect. The PO also replaced all 4 rotors, and all 4 tires new last January, and I found records that showed regular oil changes every 3 months.

RomoRock3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Base
    Don't touch the yellow connectors. Those are for the airbags. If you mess with them the airbags could go off.
    AngieK likes this.

Can anyone show me an image of the inside of the trunk where the manual release is? I might consider making a small hole in the divider between the seat and the trunk, and inserting a wire with a hook to see if I can open it that way.

I don't mind going to a Cadillac or GM dealer for a key, as long as the price is reasonable, or a locksmith if he can provide a key as well. But I only get paid once a month and I want to get more of this work done sooner than later. I hate waiting.

Also if anyone with a Deville of this vintage can show me an image of that divider on the trunk side... I'd like to avoid drilling a hole through any components

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

There isn't a manual release I know of you can get to from inside the trunk.
    Bypassed the Inadvert relay??? don't know how or why you would do that, it will drain the battery if hot wired.

Apply power to the trunk release wires behind the switch on the dash.

rodnok01,

I bypassed the relay as I check other systems. It's bad and will not reconnect the system as designed. So it's a simple matter of joining the 2 wires that the relay connects when energized just to work on the rest of the car until I have the funds to order a new relay from Rock Auto. I know I can't leave it connected all the time.

As far as the trunk release goes, I was under the impression, from reading other posts in this forum, that there is a glow-in-the-dark handle in the trunk that has a cable to manually release it. If that isn't true, then I guess I have gotten bad information and will have to wait until I can get the trunk open after I get the funds. I can't fathom the total lack of thought that went into placing the trunk open circuits fuse in the trunk, and frankly if there isn't a trunk release inside the trunk then I think I probably picked the wrong car. Who the heck is stupid enough to build a car that someone could get locked in with no way out in 1999? Apparently only Cadillac?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you have one it will be mounted near the latch. I forget what year they started installing them.

Here's one from a 2000-2005 Deville.

AngieK likes this.

Thank you Ranger Does that mount on the hood or the body?

I will peer through the wall tomorrow and see if it exists. I appreciate the help all of you are willing to offer.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

98 didn't have them. They became mandated in 2002. Don't remember if there was one in the last 99 I looked at or not but doubt it.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by AngieK View Post
    rodnok01,

I bypassed the relay as I check other systems. It's bad and will not reconnect the system as designed. So it's a simple matter of joining the 2 wires that the relay connects when energized just to work on the rest of the car until I have the funds to order a new relay from Rock Auto. I know I can't leave it connected all the time.

As far as the trunk release goes, I was under the impression, from reading other posts in this forum, that there is a glow-in-the-dark handle in the trunk that has a cable to manually release it. If that isn't true, then I guess I have gotten bad information and will have to wait until I can get the trunk open after I get the funds. I can't fathom the total lack of thought that went into placing the trunk open circuits fuse in the trunk, and frankly if there isn't a trunk release inside the trunk then I think I probably picked the wrong car. Who the heck is stupid enough to build a car that someone could get locked in with no way out in 1999? Apparently only Cadillac?
    =============================
    As far as the trunk release goes,
    I was under the impression,
    from reading other posts in this forum,
    that there is a glow-in-the-dark handle in the trunk
    that has a cable to manually release it.

not in a 1999 Deville -

frankly if there isn't a trunk release inside the trunk
    then I think I probably picked the wrong car.

it might be the wrong car for other reasons too -

basscatt, what would be other reasons it's the wrong car? (besides the fact I bought it knowing that I need to diagnose the electrical issues)

Plutonium239 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville Base, 2004 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    If you have one it will be mounted near the latch. I forget what year they started installing them.

Here's one from a 2000-2005 Deville.

They started in the 2000 models.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.