Cadillac Owners Forum banner

99 Deville trunk trouble

10K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  AngieK 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought a 99 Deville for a song, because the electrical is all messed up. I hope I can fix it inexpensively, so I can run the car.

Unfortunately, when I got it, there were no remotes and no door/trunk key. Besides the fact that those are missing, all the systems I need to check/fix are inside the trunk. As you know there is no access through the back seat, and the dash button doesn't work. Neither does fuel door button, traction control button, or the valet button.

While I have found nothing to help on this forum so far, or YouTube, or a general search of Google, I need to ask this;

Is there ANY way to open the trunk without power, remotes or the key? The car is too perfect to start smashing my way in, or cutting or punching anything. Can I power the trunk release wires separately? Is there a safe place to drill a small access hole behind the seat that won't tear up wiring that I might get a hook into to pull the inside trunk release? Other than that I have to wait quite a while (for the title to be processed and returned) before I can go get a key cut from the VIN. And even then there is no guarantee the lock was never changed since it was new.

Thanks in advance for any insights or help you can offer,
Angie

See less See more
#2 ·
Open the hood and check the fuses to see if any are burnt.

Is there a battery in the car? Can you check the voltage from the information display? Or does nothing come up

I think there is a way to open the trunk by putting power to the release wires, but I don't know which ones they are.

You could also remove the cover surrounding the headlight gas and trunk switches. Then you can see if they were unplugged.

Other than that. there isn't much you can do without the key. Make sure you don't lock yourself out!

#3 ·
=======================
you can try to apply voltage directly to the wires of the trunk release button -
a 9-volt battery would be enough -

OR -
call a Caddy dealer with your VIN - and have proof of ownership -

there is a chance they can get the key codes from the VIN -
and cut a new set of keys -

OR -
call a locksmith -
they will be cheaper than fixing the damage you will cause by by breaking in -

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that. :(

I have checked all fuses and relays in the engine bay. I found a bad relay for the Inadvert Power and bypassed that (for now). I also have a bad relay in Accessory, but swapped that for the horn, and it didn't help. I have to wait until payday to get any new parts, so I'm doing work-arounds on those for now to keep going. Today is look under/take apart the dash day. With all the dash switches dead, I am hoping I just find that something was cut... a previous owner hacked out the radio wires. The control for the dash functions and the climate control were sitting on the floor, so I just plugged those back in and they work perfectly. The radio is there too, but the harness plug is missing so I can't re-install that.

In the glove compartment, at the back, is some sort of clip or switch with a yellow end. I won't mess with that until I find out what it is. There is also a curved, threaded rod, that appears to be loose. I don't know what that is. It seems odd to me that there is no back in the glove box. So I'm assuming someone has had it out and may have just unplugged a lot of stuff.

Well... going to go out in a bit and get the meter out, and see which wires are hot and what's not.

Just an FYI, the battery is new, and checks perfect. The PO also replaced all 4 rotors, and all 4 tires new last January, and I found records that showed regular oil changes every 3 months.

#7 ·
Can anyone show me an image of the inside of the trunk where the manual release is? I might consider making a small hole in the divider between the seat and the trunk, and inserting a wire with a hook to see if I can open it that way.

I don't mind going to a Cadillac or GM dealer for a key, as long as the price is reasonable, or a locksmith if he can provide a key as well. But I only get paid once a month and I want to get more of this work done sooner than later. I hate waiting.

Also if anyone with a Deville of this vintage can show me an image of that divider on the trunk side... I'd like to avoid drilling a hole through any components :)

#8 ·
There isn't a manual release I know of you can get to from inside the trunk.
Bypassed the Inadvert relay??? don't know how or why you would do that, it will drain the battery if hot wired.

Apply power to the trunk release wires behind the switch on the dash.

#9 ·
rodnok01,

I bypassed the relay as I check other systems. It's bad and will not reconnect the system as designed. So it's a simple matter of joining the 2 wires that the relay connects when energized just to work on the rest of the car until I have the funds to order a new relay from Rock Auto. I know I can't leave it connected all the time.

As far as the trunk release goes, I was under the impression, from reading other posts in this forum, that there is a glow-in-the-dark handle in the trunk that has a cable to manually release it. If that isn't true, then I guess I have gotten bad information and will have to wait until I can get the trunk open after I get the funds. I can't fathom the total lack of thought that went into placing the trunk open circuits fuse in the trunk, and frankly if there isn't a trunk release inside the trunk then I think I probably picked the wrong car. Who the heck is stupid enough to build a car that someone could get locked in with no way out in 1999? Apparently only Cadillac?

#13 ·
=============================
As far as the trunk release goes,
I was under the impression,
from reading other posts in this forum,
that there is a glow-in-the-dark handle in the trunk
that has a cable to manually release it.

not in a 1999 Deville -

frankly if there isn't a trunk release inside the trunk
then I think I probably picked the wrong car.

it might be the wrong car for other reasons too -

#16 ·
============================
what would be other reasons it's the wrong car?
let's just call it a feeling -

I have to wait until payday to get any new parts,

----------------

I don't mind going to a Cadillac or GM dealer for a key,
as long as the price is reasonable,
or a locksmith if he can provide a key as well.
But I only get paid once a month

----------------------

I bypassed the relay as I check other systems...................
until I have the funds to order a new relay from Rock Auto

-----------------
these cars are cheap to buy -
but very expensive to own/drive/maintain/fix -

#17 ·
basscatt, I see. You think because I have a limited budget I may not be able to maintain it. You might be right.

Worse comes to worse I'll get it right and sell it to someone who can afford to own it. But seriously, it was so inexpensive to buy, I could part it out or even scrap it for a profit. I'd rather drive it, though.

#22 ·
I did that today. First I removed the wires from those dash switches and checked the circuit with and without the key on. Then after just trying to jump it with a 9v battery, I tried it again with the 12v from the car. we also removed the box that controls the lights and the trunk/fuel release from the dash, took it apart, my friend checked the entire circuit. We re-assembled it and put it back. I then removed the glove compartment to gain access to the valet switch and the traction control switch. Both circuits are live and both switches work, but neither one seem to do anything. So somewhere (we are guessing the radio/phone fuse because it also controls the trunk release), there has to be a break or a short stopping the electrical signal to the trunk release.

I was hoping with a schematic, I could temporarily bypass all that and power the release directly.

#24 ·
Yeah, I'm sure. It was off. :thumbsup:

I am just amazed at how hard it is to get into a Cadillac trunk without a key or remote. I don't want to damage it, but I'm almost ready to rip out the panel behind the seat and un-bolt the latch. I just need to get in to check fuses. What a nightmare. :hmm:

#26 ·
I have been calling around a bit here in the middle of nowhere... I found 2 that can open it (for big bucks), but neither make keys from locks. I'll have to go to a GM dealer and try the VIN cut key. I really wanted to see if repairs are even possible before I spend the money on registration/parts/professionals, but it looks like I'm going to have to pay to play with this one. I'm good at diagnostics and most electrical repairs, but if I can't get to the problems I'm pretty much stuck.

#30 ·
OK it's been a weird day for my Cadillac dilemma...

First, thanks to everyone who has been trying to help! You are all awesome :thumbsup:

Second, I contacted a GM dealer nearby to ask about a Cadillac VIN cut key, and I have yet to hear back. But...

Third, by talking to the guy I bought it from, I was able to contact the young man who owned this car when the key for the doors was lost. He said his girlfriend somehow just dropped the key in the center console, and they weren't able to find it to get it back. I am thinking I can, if I remove the console completely. Wish me luck. (now I just need the pouring rain to move on tomorrow so I can go out there to do the work) :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.