'98 & '99 Fleetwood Limited - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, '98 & '99 Fleetwood Limited in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by OlHump I'm about to purchase a 98' fleetwood limited for $2k. I would like to know what ...
    kcclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Two '99 Fleetwood Limiteds + '98 6-door limo

Re: '98 & '99 Fleetwood Limited

Quote Originally Posted by OlHump View Post
    I'm about to purchase a 98' fleetwood limited for $2k. I would like to know what are the problems with that engine? Are there any problems with the oil leaks like the 1st. gen. north stars? After reading this entire thread, all the talks were about the chassic. I want to know about the performance and are there anyway I can move the seat tracks back. The one I'm persuing, has a little over 40k miles on it.
    Move the seat tracks back?? What are you? 7'6"? I'm 6'8" with a 39" inseam and I have at least 4" between my knees and the dash. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the power seat in the car you're looking at.

$2k for a '98 with 41k miles? Sounds like someone trying to unload a blown head gasket to me. And blown head gaskets are your main worry. Other problem I've had on 2 of the cars is a 741 code for the tranny.

I have/had three plus a '98 limo. None have leaked oil but they burn it.

I've been happy with the performance of my cars. They move when necessary. And, I've even been able to squeeze 30 mpg out of them if I keep it at 55 mph on the highway.

KC

OlHump is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Fleet Limited, 94 Sedan Deville, 78 Fleet, 86 Fleet

Hey Clark, I don't think so. A friend of mines father's cousin had it. He was an elderly man who died the other week. He hardly drove the car. I'm 6' 7" with 38" inseam. I like to stretch my legs out on long trips lol. I've never had this year or model. I was thinking out loud about the seats. There's so much room behind the seat when it's all the way back, so I was wondering if you could move it a couple more inches. So, are you saying that the tranny on them go out before the engine?

What was the outcome of that 741 code? Was it the torc converter?

What was the outcome of that 741 code? Was it the torc converter?
    Radiator fluid was leaking into the tranny fluid. Caddy dealer replaced tranny and radiator for a tad over $5k. That was June 2005. Then the head gasket went in March 2006 and I have not driven the car since (car was at a shade tree mechanic's since March 2006 - finally got it back last month, unfixed and minus the cats which were cut off). Bought another '99 in October 2006. Got an extended warranty on it this time. Currently setting 741 codes. Dealer says it is the torque converter this time. Extended warranty company is doing everything they can to keep from paying. Required the dealer to tear it apart to take some readings, put it back together, reset the codes and told dealer to see if the code would come back. Dealer doesn't have time to have a tech drive it everywhere so I went and got the car. Took me 6 days to get the 741 back. Warranty company was unhappy that I was driving the car instead of the dealership (I'm currently on the hook for all these tests the warranty company wanted and the warranty company probably figured the code would not come back during the limited driving the dealership would do so, no code would show up and I'd have to shell out $600 for the tests). Warranty company is sending someone out to look at the car. Warranty runs out in June 2011 and I do not drive the car during the winter. I do not like where this is going.

KC

Hey Clark, I don't think so. A friend of mines father's cousin had it. He was an elderly man who died the other week. He hardly drove the car.
    So why are we even having this discussion? For $2k, I'd buy that car so fast it would make your head spin. You are getting a steal IMO.

So, are you saying that the tranny on them go out before the engine?
    My first '99 had already had a head gasket blow before I bought it. I was not up to speed on Northstars yet so I did not know what was involved in fixing it correctly. I talked to the mechanic that did the fix before I bought it and I know now he did not do what was necessary. Anyway, first '99 went engine, tranny, engine. Second '99 is tranny first. My '98 had lots of problems but it also had 160K+ miles. My '98 limo has less than 50k miles and no major problems yet.

Wow, thanks for the info kc. That was informative and it's well appreciated. I was thinking of getting it and driving it until about 80k miles, then getting rid of it. This is the prime reason I've been sticking to the earlier Cadillacs, due to that North Star engine. I stuck with the 4.9's, because I've been successfully able to work on them myself. I will seek to be purchasing this vehicle by next week. Thanks again for you input on the reliability of the 98 Fleetwood Limited.

OlHump

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

I did find this photo in my collection. It was a calendar page in the Limousine & Chauffeur Magazine of the year. It is manufacturer supplied and shows the car without the skirts.

jounier11 and jounier11 like this.

gopher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989, 2000

cool pics in the brochure

Hey Hartford, I have that same white one.

My findings:

I found that it's with the HDuty commercial chassie, with 46K miles and runs excellent. I find that it has lots of minor cosmetic deficiencies in the interior. I found that the headliner needs replacing, door handles are loose, front carpet needs cleaning, driver seat is worn the hell out like a big person was living in that seat. Front headlights are broken and needs replacing, also they are very hazed. Has 5 brand new Michelins tires including spare which still has the blue white wall and on regular rim in trunk. I did noticed that there were some noise coming from the suspension when hiting a bump. Something like a sway bar loose or linkage bushings needs replacing. I turned the a/c on and it was out of refrigerant. finally I pulled these history codes:

PCM - P0603
    PCM - P1189
    PCM - P1350
    PCM - P1520
    PCM - P1527
    ACM - B1348
    IRC - B1771

Can anyone tell me what are these codes referencing or where can I find these codes on this forum? The car will need painting soon. I hope I haven't bit off more than I could chew when I brought this car.

Here's a couple pics of my 98 Fleetwood Limited. Who knows where I can pick up a set of head lights? I would like to have those clear ones. I'm wondering if I could use the regular Deville head lights on the Flwd Limited.
    Attached Images

Nice looking car! Yes, I do believe the headlamps are the exact same ones on a Deville.

There is this Limited forsale on eBay right now. With over 400K miles on it !!!

CoupeDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 66 Deville Convertible / 07 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by HartfordGuy View Post
    There is this Limited forsale on eBay right now. With over 400K miles on it !!!

Love it!

I installed the new head lights, which are giving good visability. I'm now at 57,000+ miles and Clark you are right about the mileage. I get 28 mls/gal around 62mph. I'm just having a little minor problems now that will cost me alot. I now need to replace the rear wheel bearings and cannot find anyone that sales a 6 lug hub. If there are any suggestions, I'm listening. The other problem I need is to get an air compressor for the a/c unit. It's working, but it's leaking and I've had one of these replaced on my 94 deville. It ran me $500 for the part, and another $500 for the install. Again, any suggestions?
    Attached Images

I now need to replace the rear wheel bearings and cannot find anyone that sales a 6 lug hub.
    You can get those only from GM. I befriended the parts guy at the Caddy dealership and he gives me decent deals on my parts. Other choice is online but you gotta know the part numbers and I have no source for the part #s for the commercial chassis. Maybe someone else will chime in.

The other problem I need is to get an air compressor for the a/c unit. It's working, but it's leaking and I've had one of these replaced on my 94 deville. It ran me $500 for the part, and another $500 for the install.
    What sucks in this situation is R-134 is going to be phased out. It will still be manufactured but the Feds are going to put a nice tax on it to convince you to switch over to R-1234yf. AFAIK, there are no retrofit kits yet for R-1234yf so you're currently stuck with R-134 even though you know it is going away.

I don't think any new compressors are left. You can get a remanufactured one for $265-$315. Used ones were a dime a dozen after Cash for Clunkers but all those cars were supposed to be crushed by now. I know my favorite junkyard got rid of all their CFC cars. Now I'm back to the days where none of the cars have engines in them at this particular yard.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.