Constant Battery Drain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Constant Battery Drain in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my 99 DeVille, this is the second time I have run down the battery due to an accessory being ...
    delta88343 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille De Elegance

Constant Battery Drain

On my 99 DeVille, this is the second time I have run down the battery due to an accessory being left on and it not turning off when the ignition key is removed.

The radio use to turn off upon removal of the key, but now it does not, and most recently, I left the wipers on (in intermittant mode) when I turn the car off but apparently they continued to run until the battery was totally drained. I'm surprised the battery continues to hold a charge after being fully discharged for the second time.

Perhaps I'll see the real results of these complete discharges come winter.

How can I program (if possible & if that's the issue) the car to make sure power is cut off to every accessory possible when the ignition key is removed?

You guys are the best.

TIA,

Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Accessories Constantly On - Programming Issue?

Sounds like it may be an ignition switch or RAP system failure. Have you pulled the DTC's?

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

What Ranger said.
    There are 3 things that control power staying on, The RAP relay, the High Power Relay and the BCM. Not uncommon for the relays to stick. one is under the hood and the other under the drivers sill panel(have no idea why they put it there). I would check the codes and then the relays.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Battery discharge: If you discharge a good lead-acid battery and immediately recharge it carefully, no harm done. If it discharges and is left for several days or longer the lead sulfate that coats the plates as the battery discharges turns from a normal gel-like substance to hard crystalline and it cannot be driven back into solution in the electrolyte - the battery is then useless.

A fully charged battery's electrolyte is a pretty strong sulfuric acid solution, and it won't freeze. A discharged battery's electrolyte is almost pure water - which is why it would then freeze.

After almost fully charging the battery last night and driving the car for 15 minutes, I went to start the car this morning and the battery is dead as a door knob. The time on the interior clock wasn't even on. Strangly, a clicking sound started at some point, similar sounding to a turn signal (no turn signals were on) sound and this was coming from the drivers side under the hood near the air intake tube I believe. I guess that is where the fuse panel is with relays and perhaps one of the afrementioned relays was clicking on and off, but for what reason and why? No, I have not pulled any codes. Guess I'm going to have to learn that procedure. What is the BCM? TIA. Should I just get another battery at this point? Maybe this is why the battery was dead when the car was first delivered to me, but after that charge I had no problems until I apparently left the windshield wipers on.

There is a sticky at top of forum with how to pull codes, post codes, history or current and definitions.
    Yes the main relay panel is by the airbox.

BCM= Body Control Module, it controls all kinds of stuff including shutting power off after ten minutes. It does not mean it is bad at this point. Many things can cause battery drain.

Holy Moses, my AOL was sticking on me so I figured I would open the forum up with google chrome and I just get slammed with dozens of pop ups....sheesh. I looked at the top on how to pull the codes but I could not find info on how to do so. I have an instruction sheet on how to do so for a seville, but the buttons are different on my 99 DeVille. I looked at the stickies up top and it brought to an OBD? page which gave the definition of all the codes, but not how to pull for my 99 deville. Sorry if it is right in front of me and I do not see it.

You have AOL? didn't think they exsisted.

Anyways ... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

First couple lines it says hold OFF AND WARMER buttons with ignition on.

Yes, my apologies. My eye went directly to the URL's and I did not read the top paragraph. I went through the procedure and ALL codes had the suffix of HISTORY, and from what I read it means the problem no longer exists. So where do I go from here? All my codes were the following. Again, all have the suffix of HISTORY.

PCM P0603
    IPC B1552
    IPC B1983
    IPC U1255
    PZM B1552
    PZM B1983
    IRC B1983
    RFA B1007
    RFA U1300
    MSM B2116
    MSM B2118
    MMM B1983

----------

Ok, I reviewed all these codes and I do not see anything that would suggest the problem I'm having. There are a number of power circuit low codes, which I'm guessing means it was recognizing a voltage drop as the battery died, and keep memory alive codes which I'm guessing refer to the same issue? Then there are the 2 rear and front vertical sensor failure codes, which I have not looked up because my internet keeps stiocking on me. I'm going to clear all the codes on the car and see what pops up. Any suggestions on why all of a sudden the battery is draining? I made sure everything was off last night before I locked the car up. Instrument panel was off, radio was off, wipers off, all lights off etc. Thanks,

I'd start by checking the relays i mentioned earlier... If the stick the won't shut off. One thing to remember is these are overly sensitive to grounds. If one goes bad it will back feed through any circuit it can. If that happens all kinds if weird stuff can happen.
    I would check the main grounds(there are a ton of grounds) at the engine frt and the kick panel grounds(both sides have grounds) to start with. Other locations are behind and below rear seat, radiator support and others. Won't take long to clean the main grounds.

Thanks rodnok01, but perhaps I need to clarify my language. There are not various accessories that are not turning off, except for the apparent wipers from yesterday that I did leave on the first intermittant setting, but it should have shut off when I removed the key. I just cleared all the codes, started the car, drove it for 15 minutes, checked all the codes again and there were none. Sounds promising? The stick did shut off, but something just totally drained the battery last night. Everything was off. How do I check the relays? Thanks,

Could charging the battery with it connected to car potentially cause any problems?

I wouldn't. Low voltage burns things up(lower than 11 volts even when charging) and high amp charging does too.
    If the battery is truely dead and needs charging unhook it.

The only relays IN the fuse box under the hood are the ac and fuel pump relay. Where is the RAP? When you say the othes are under the driver side sill, what are you referring to? Thanks, hor

You have to pop the entire plastic cover off the panel,not just open the door. There are a bunch more relays under it, I'd have to check FSM for which one is the rap.

The retained accessory power(RAP) has 2 relays that are energized when car is on, one is basically a back up for the other. When the car is shut off and BCM shuts them off due to timeout or door opening. It accomplishes this on/off of the relays by grounding the relays. If one of the relays is corroded or bad it will not disengage thus keeping the system on. Also a bad ground in the system can actually cause a relay not to shut ground off.
    The main fuse panel under the hood is known to corrode, so when you get cover off check the bottom of it and the relay connections. Also the relay under the drivers sill plate.
    The wipers are also shut off by the BCM when it cuts high power relay(do believe this is under the hood and RAP under sill).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.