Constant Battery Drain - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Constant Battery Drain in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had this issue with my 99 and found out I had to make sure my doors unlocked when I ...
    LoveMyLac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille D'Elegence (RIP) 2001 Cadillac DeVille DTS

Re: Accessories Constantly On - Programming Issue?

I had this issue with my 99 and found out I had to make sure my doors unlocked when I put it in park or the accessories stayed on. I'm sure its more technical than that, but as long as my doors unlocked when putting it in park it wasn't an issue.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyLac View Post
    I had this issue with my 99 and found out I had to make sure my doors unlocked when I put it in park or the accessories stayed on. I'm sure its more technical than that, but as long as my doors unlocked when putting it in park it wasn't an issue.
    That's very strange... Trying to remember but am fairly certain BCM is where that option is kept. Probably something wrong with BCM.

RomoRock3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Base
    Maybe it's your ignition switch. Normally the key should only be able to come out when it is in the Lock position. The car also has an accessory mode where you push the key in and turn it toward you. If the switch is messed up, you could be removing the key when the switch is still in accessory.

delta88343 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille De Elegance

What is this SILL you keep referring to? I am positive I am turning the ignition switch all the way to the off position, but I will test your idea. I will also try doors unlocking in park, but I believe it is aleady set up that way. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Sill plate = threshold = the thing you scrape your shoes on getting into the car.

LoveMyLac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille D'Elegence (RIP) 2001 Cadillac DeVille DTS

Quote Originally Posted by delta88343 View Post
    What is this SILL you keep referring to? I am positive I am turning the ignition switch all the way to the off position, but I will test your idea. I will also try doors unlocking in park, but I believe it is aleady set up that way. Thanks all for the suggestions.
    What I was saying is sometimes I would put it in park and the doors wouldn't unlock. If I unlocked them manually, got out of the car, the accessories would still be on and drain the battery. If I put the car back in another gear and back to park and the doors unlocked everything would be fine.

I had a mechanic come to the house today to touble shoot the electical problem and what we found was that electrical tape was wapped around every relay behind the back seat, appaently securing them to each block. We found the same type of evidence when we took off the cover of the fuse box in the engine compartment, and exposed the fuses and relays in the subassembly below the fuse box in the engine compatment, and found what I believe is the RAP relay under the sill on the drivers side. There appears to be a lot of evidence of prior electrical "diagnostics" going on and from the visual evidence it gives the appearance that they could not find this issue or pior issue(s) so they secured via electrical tape every relay in the car to its junction box to prevent a possible poor connection? Anyway, the relay part# 12193611 that is under the drivers step plate sill has discolored pins that would appear to be caused by electricity. I got prices anywhere from $45 to $19 so I'm going to pick one up, swap it out and see if that solves the battery drain issue. I do not like swapping parts out but is there any way to better test the system to try and determine where this drain is actually coming from? The car is not displaying BCM issues from what I have read on the net about them, but there is just a constant (appears to possibly have been intermittant at times) drain on the battery when the ignition is turned off. Any other suggestions appecited. The good news is the ca flew through PA inspection today.

----------

Again to clarify since my heading is misleading, I have a constant drain on the battery which depletes i over night. All accessories turn off, though I do believe the intermittant wipers did stay on one night with the ignition off (I will have to test that), but the interior lights do go off after about 30 seconds, but something is just sucking the life out of my battery. When I disconnect the battery lead over night, the car fires right up the next moning, after reconnecting the lead of course. I'[ve been disconnecting the positive lead, Im going to have ti o find an easy way to disconnect the negative lead. I cannot get a ratchet in there, an air conditioning tube is right next to the negative terminal of the battery.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Again to clarify since my heading is misleading, I have a constant drain on the battery which depletes i over night.
    I'll edit your title for you.

Quote Originally Posted by delta88343 View Post
    I had a mechanic come to the house today to touble shoot the electical problem and what we found was that electrical tape was wapped around every relay behind the back seat, appaently securing them to each block. We found the same type of evidence when we took off the cover of the fuse box in the engine compartment, and exposed the fuses and relays in the subassembly below the fuse box in the engine compatment, and found what I believe is the RAP relay under the sill on the drivers side. There appears to be a lot of evidence of prior electrical "diagnostics" going on and from the visual evidence it gives the appearance that they could not find this issue or pior issue(s) so they secured via electrical tape every relay in the car to its junction box to prevent a possible poor connection? Anyway, the relay part# 12193611 that is under the drivers step plate sill has discolored pins that would appear to be caused by electricity. I got prices anywhere from $45 to $19 so I'm going to pick one up, swap it out and see if that solves the battery drain issue. I do not like swapping parts out but is there any way to better test the system to try and determine where this drain is actually coming from? The car is not displaying BCM issues from what I have read on the net about them, but there is just a constant (appears to possibly have been intermittant at times) drain on the battery when the ignition is turned off. Any other suggestions appecited. The good news is the ca flew through PA inspection today.

----------

Again to clarify since my heading is misleading, I have a constant drain on the battery which depletes i over night. All accessories turn off, though I do believe the intermittant wipers did stay on one night with the ignition off (I will have to test that), but the interior lights do go off after about 30 seconds, but something is just sucking the life out of my battery. When I disconnect the battery lead over night, the car fires right up the next moning, after reconnecting the lead of course. I'[ve been disconnecting the positive lead, Im going to have ti o find an easy way to disconnect the negative lead. I cannot get a ratchet in there, an air conditioning tube is right next to the negative terminal of the battery.

The relays are factory taped to keep them from wiggling loose. Go get a racheting battery wrench to remove the cable. Harbor freight for about $5.

Re: Constant Battery Drain

Thanks for modifying the header Ranger and Rodnok1 I am glad to hear all that electrical tape is from the factory. I have been removing the positive cable at night to keep the battery from draining. However, I just had the thought of getting a Battery Disconnect Switch. As I'm sure all are aware it connects to the positive terminal of the battery and you simply turn the current on and off via a round knob. I believe it also comes with a fused jumper which allows a little current to flow to keep electronic memory settings. Will this cause any damage to electronics/computers by turning it on and off a multitude of times until I can find a permanent solution to what is draining the battery? TIA

A battery disconnect switch would be my last choice, but I don't think it will "damage" anything.

Thanks Ranger, I do not disagee, but I don't know if I want to replace $100 worth of relays and a BCM and possibly not have the solution; at least not all at once. I will be replacing the relay under the door sill today, but I would prefer not to possibly drain the battery again if that does not fix the problem. Isn't there a way I can test the draw against the battery cables when they are disconnected via a volt meter? With the cables disconnected, what type of reading should I see? Presumably anything betond that reading, would show there is still a voltage/current draw. TIA

Sure you can. Put the DVM in line between the negative battery terminal and the cable. I don't think there should be more than a few milliampere draw. Start pulling fuses until the draw drops. Then you'll know what circuit or component to concentrate on. You could also use a 12v test lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcRG-XBzk7U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUoXApI89Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wxG6U5TuY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Great, Thanks Ranger. Unfortunately I had to make an emergency stop into an auto shop this morning. Though they were busy, within minutes they made room for my car in a bay and spent about an hour correcting the problem. In the interim, the owner hooked up an electrical tool (scanner/code reader) under the drivers side dash looked up the appropriate codes and said he was rather confident I had a bad BCM. From utube videos I saw, bad BCM's did all kinds of funky stuff to the DIC of which I have no isses, just a damn constant draw on the battery. I was just about to order a used BCM when I read it requires programming by a dealership and I hasd to make sure my numbers matched the numbers on their BCM even though they stated it was for a 99 deville/eldorado. Does the BCM require programming i.e. it is not a plug and play device, and if so to the former, how much time is a cadillac dealer going to clip me to properly set up the new BCM? TIA. I would like to give the auto shop a plug if I could because the guy did not charge me a dime for all thework he did (he did a lot). So if anyone is within shot of Quakertown PA and requires a hell of an honest mechanic and a Mench to boot, which is a good thing for those that are not familiar with the term, please use Sweeney's Service Center right off 309N in Quakertown PA and tell them the guy with the smoking Black Caddy sent you. Thanks,

----------

Great Video's Ranger. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

----------

PS If anyone does actually go to Sweeney's and tells them the smoking Black Caddy guy referred you, you will recieve a 10% discount on labor and 1/2 hour of diagnosis at no charge. Ask for Jim, the owner.

Bcm are plug and play for your year, if you do a search I posted a few numbers years back.
    The code reader built into these cars is very powerful, only a TECH II can do more. It's only real downfall is the lack of identifying individual cylinder misfires.
    Back in topic... There are many numbers that will fit your year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.