'99 deville d'elegance alternator replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, '99 deville d'elegance alternator replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Underhood is noisy, hard to isolate but noise appears to be alternator (Stethescope, and the bracket seems to be transmitting ...
    sundog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille D'elegance

'99 deville d'elegance alternator replacement

Underhood is noisy, hard to isolate but noise appears to be alternator (Stethescope, and the bracket seems to be transmitting roughness). The shop says you have to remove the radiator and raise the engine, @$675 total. Search of tech articles elsewhere here turned up nothing. Can anyone here advise, what's necessary and how do you do it? How can I further diagnose this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: '99 deville d'elegance alternator replacement

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Check the idler pulley before you remove the alternator.......

Thanx, rodnok. Seems I looked in the wrong place. And yeah, 98, I'm suspicious of the idler. It's not as noisy as the alternator through the stethescope, but I'd like to check it first anyway. I hope it can be removed with little fuss.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Idler comes over quite easily. 15mm 6 point 1/2 drive will suffice.

More than likely, that is the suspect.

Not to say that the other drives couldn't make noise, but when I got my deville on the road, it was quiet for a while and then all of a sudden on start up I developed a squeal.

It sounded like the tensioner or alternator, but something said swap the idler pulley. (Lucky I have spare parts).
    Swapped the pulley, noise gone......

Hopefully you'll be lucky.....

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

Mine was replaced for half that amount of money..And no they didn't remove or lift the engine. But its one job if you do yourself you'll never forget...Because its a BITCH !!

Now that I've had a few days to calm down, I think I'll slip the belt off and turn the idler, alternator, and others by hand before I do anything else.
    My Haynes manual (I know, I know ) says to disconnect hoses and transmission lines and pull the radiator to get to the alternator. Nothing is said about an AC condensor.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Removing the radiator definitely gives you more room to work on, but it is not necessary. Lifting the engine? no. Not at all.

n3870v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille

Recently had a noise in same area - turned out to be the A/C compressor telling me that it was on its last leg.

However, I have changed the alternator before on my 99 deville. Its not to bad. It will come out from the bottom and you do not have to remove the radiator. Of course you will jack up the front end to get underneath. The R/H radiator fan will need to me moved out of the way so you can get your arms down there, but its only two bolts and a electircal connector. there is a little access panel on the bottom near the radiator. With that panel off the alternator will JUST barely fit out the bottom, it will need to be rotated to find that sweet spot where it will fit out.

The A/C compressor was a lot harder to get out then the alternator

N3870v

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.