computer history readout
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, computer history readout in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My insurance man (K of C) was over yesterday, and he showed me how to do the "off & higher" ...
    grandad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 DeVille 4.9L

computer history readout

My insurance man (K of C) was over yesterday, and he showed me how to do the "off & higher" buttons to get the computer history.

It showed PO31 hist, and PCM?
    This was on my 95 DeVille. He said his 94 DeVille also would come up with that PCM?

Would someone please tell me what that means?

Also, some years ago I had a 78 buick electra. (sometimes wish I still had it, oh well). It rode like a dream.

But I've found that my 95 deville rides hard in comparison.
    I haven't worked on cars since I was young, but I have a repair manual coming, so I'll try to understand what you tell me may be the problem with the ride. Not as bad as a Volvo, but definitely not that Cadillac ride.

I do enjoy reading the posts on this forum...a lot of them are pretty funny, and informative too.

Thanks, Ray

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    I'm glad I'm not the only one here who thinks Volvo rides are harsh. My wife has a '98 S70 T5, and my '00 Honda Prelude rides much smoother.

Sorry I can't contribute a solution for your problem, but I've noticed that NOTHING on the market today has that smooth ride that RWD GM sedans had from the 70's and early 80's.

Of course, those cars were virtual deathtraps if you ever needed to perform any evasive maneuvers. The rough ride may be a tradeoff for a safer suspension.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Hey Ray,
    The code you posted is a shorted MAP sensor.
    When you push the "OFF" & "WARMER" buttons, you are entering the vehicle diagnostic system. There are several "modules" that you can check, one being the PCM, or Powertrain Control Module.
    As I said, the display allows you to check several modules. Each one has it's own set of "codes" to read. Each set has it's own unique prefix. The one you read (P031) stands for PCM code # 031.
    It would be a good idea for you to stay out of the diagnostic system until you get a manual. Then you can delve into the system and see all the information at your fingertips.

Thanks Kevin

I'll take your advice and stop tinkering, I don't want to mess up something.

That's an impressive machine you put together.
    Looks great.

Ray

Elvis,

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for your reply.

And I know what you mean by the "evasive maneuvers".

A car was coming out blind to the street I was on. He couldn't see because of SUV's parked right near the end of the driveway. But he was coming out strong anyway.

We saw each other and...in that split second I rolled the steering wheel to the left and just went right around like I was dodging an open manhole or something, felt like I was driving a sports car instead of the DeVille. Amazing and no accident. I was too happy with the outcome to be miffed at the guy.

The more I drive it, the more I like it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.